Why don't we...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't we...

It seems as though there are now dozens of car pc interfaces that basically do the same thing (although slightly different). They are virtually all free and all of them seem to be lacking in features and/or stability (They all seem to have the basics, but none seems to really distance itself in its robustness).

This forum appears to be packed with people who are knowledgeable about these applications and capable of contributing, even if only a little. Why is there no solid open source solution being formed? We have the community to support it. Why is everyone insistent on keeping their code to themselves and re-inventing the wheel?

I have not found a single open source project that is still in serious development. I have seen dashpc (a linux app), but it seems to be unfinished and dead. Why not open up your code? Allow other people to share in it and help push it forward.

I understand that everyone wants something different, but if your program is customizable then they can have it all in on app.
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

- Mark Twain

er, this question's been asked many times before...

Thing is, people develop their own apps because they can! Some do it so they can integrate their own choice of backends and applications (like gps). And some people have different opinions about which programming language to use.
    People usually develop a new app because they look at what's around and think, "I'm gonna make one better". And they usually do.
    In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Bunny's first poo
    __ U

Comment

Hmmm ... Re-invent the wheel ... Now that sounds like a great idea, why didn't i think of that sooner?

EDIT: Ideas for a new wheel...

The squeel:
      +--+
      | O |
      +--+
      Caputer Mk. II
      '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
      MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
      Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
      OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

Originally posted by OdysseyPC
        Hmmm ... Re-invent the wheel ... Now that sounds like a great idea, why didn't i think of that sooner?

The squeel:
        +--+
        | O |
        +--+

Sweeeett!!!!!!! When can we get a Squeel and what sizes will you have?
        It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OdysseyPC

The squeel:
          +--+
          | O |
          +--+
          Will it work under Linux?
          Bush: Proof that humans really did evolve from apes.

Comment

I've asked this before...
            reason being, peoples preference and knowledge of different programming languages.
            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by jpelzer
              Will it work under Linux?
              Someone will impliment one that has 90% of the features and never finish
              the last 10% I'm sure of it.
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
              X