Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PyCar- Linux car media system on bootable CD

Guys,
    Just uploaded my first try in doing full featured linux build( don't beat me hard ). Check it out:
    https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ease_id=262479

There are two files:
    - ISO is the regular image you can burn on a CD and boot from it( or place it on you CF/DOM )
    Contains kernel 2.4.23, DirectFB and pycar
    It supports only epia-m boards mainly because of DirectFB support.
    It is only 10Mb including everything you need. Just try it out and have fun.
    It boots in 15 secs after POST( from DOM, little longer from CD ), so you can get the whole thing working in 30 secs( 20 secs if you use linuxbios )

- zip file which contains the same thing but on Windows, just unpack it to any place you like and run pycar.exe.
    You may need to change the file config.xml to modify the default settings such as codepages, media file locations, cache size, etc.

You can find the list of all its features + screenshots on this web site:
    http://pymedia.sourceforge.net/pycar/features.html

I'm still doing major redesign of pycar to have it more suitable for touchscreens and add HW DVD decoding on epia-m. I'll post some pics later this week with the functional prototype.

Have fun,
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

Ignore what was in this post.
    I was trying it on my main computer. Didn't read the part about the EPIA-M's only. Will it work on MII's?

Edit again:
    Guess it won't work on EPIA-MII series. Either that, or it hates me.

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
    Part List:
    VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie
      Edit again:
      Guess it won't work on EPIA-MII series. Either that, or it hates me.
      Technically it should. Can you explain what's not working ?
      Car mediacenter

Comment

It starts trying to load linux then just restarts the computer. I'l try to see what messages are comming out of it tomorrow. I already have my system up for the night.

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
        Part List:
        VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

Had the same problem with early 2.6 kernels on MII board. A kernel update allowed our test systems to finally boot.

Comment

What kind of fixes you've made for 2.6 ? Is it just processor code generation part or something more ?
            I cannot use any of 2.6 kernels atm since DirectFB does not pass all the tests and those kernels have internal problems with udf, viafb and others...
            Car mediacenter

Comment

I dont know what Direct FB is.... but is it possible that u could make it for all motherboards... not just EPIA's..????

It would be awesome to just pop in a cd with a linux distro and ur program on it.... or even install it on the hdd
              AT mobo
              Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
              ESS Solo PCI soundcard
              Linksys NIC
              Irman

Comment

Originally posted by toadster123
                I dont know what Direct FB is.... but is it possible that u could make it for all motherboards... not just EPIA's..????

It would be awesome to just pop in a cd with a linux distro and ur program on it.... or even install it on the hdd
                For generic solution you would need 300Mhz+ for audio/radio stuff, 1Ghz+ for DVD playback, 600Mhz+ for divx.
                You still have to know which mobo and chipsets you're using for audio/acpi/ide/network and stuff even if you use VESA. If you compile all those drivers and let kernel load them on fly, it will not be any different from Windows( 300Mb+ ).
                So I can create generic ISO without DirectFB involved( VESA+ SDL+ pygame instead ) so you can place your own kernel to keep it small...
                Car mediacenter

Comment

It seems to keep reboot system after unpacking initrd on my system. (EPIA-M 10K). What CPU was the kernel set to (mine is C3-II - Nehemiah)?

Comment

Originally posted by mpattonm
                    It seems to keep reboot system after unpacking initrd on my system. (EPIA-M 10K). What CPU was the kernel set to (mine is C3-II - Nehemiah)?
                    The processor setting was C3-II. I'll borrow M10K from my friend and let you know when I have it working...
                    Thanks,
                    Car mediacenter

Comment

Well, something weird happening with those VIA procs. I've compiled kernel with P-II+ MMX settings and it works now on M10000 but hangs on ME6000.
                      If you want to have it working on M10000/M-II, you can get this file( 1Mb ):
                      http://pymedia.sourceforge.net/pycar/vmlinuz
                      and place it in the root of the CD. I'll play little more tomorrow with settings to have it working on both...
                      Car mediacenter

Comment

Working...
                      X