Norton Ghost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Ghost

I was using Norton Ghost for disk imaging and restoring!!!
    Now I've changed my hard disk, so wanted to backup windows!!!
    But when I have both HDDs and start DOS ghost it hangs!!!
    So I tried restoring from 2 DVDs (from norton ghost) but again it wouldn't go OK!!It won't boot!!

I am trying once more right now!!

Could you recommend another software for imaging and restoring??

I have used Ghost many times and it is very, very picky.

I too am looking for a legitimate replacement.
    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

I use drive image and have not had any problems with it. I believe Symantec now owns Drive image also.
      Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

I've never had problems with Ghost, are you sure your drives are configured (eg, jumpered) correctly? Master/Slave, etc? What specific errors are you getting?

Either way, DriveImage is a great program too, but you might be able to make use of Ghost if you debug this a little.
        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
        http://hallert.net/

Comment

I used to use Ghost with no problems!!!
          The new drive doesn't have jumpers (SATA)!!!
          i can restore an image to the same drive, but not to a new one!!!
          With the new one, after restoration it says either about no system disk, either NTDLR (or something like this) missing!!!

Comment

Does this help?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...03032512525325

Comment

I don't think so, because I've managed to work with IDE and SATA together!!!
              Although I have an Intel 865.. But I've downloaded the latest updates!!!

I've cloned my old drive to the new one, but then the new one won't boot!!

i guess I have to reinstall windows and then make a backup!!

i got tired trying every different solution all the day!!!

Comment

I had an app for creating restore disks, but I can't remember the name of it and can't find the disk. Might have been drive image pro, I'm sure someone else around here has it also. Maybe they could provide the name of it since it seems Alzheimer's has set in on me.

Comment

DjBac,

This is a ballsy approach, but I've done it several times. You'll need another computer running XP for this.

1) Make a proper boot sector on the new drive.
                  Disconnect any existing drives, install the new one as primary master then and run Windows setup just until it starts copying files. You can turn off the machine and begin step 2 at this point. (I'm sure there's an easier way to make an NTFS boot sector, but in many situations, you have only the XP CD to work with.) If you want to make sure setup wrote a new boot sector, boot on that drive and it should say "NTFS: Operating System not found," or something like that.

2) Change the System partition drive letter in the registry.
                  Put the old drive back in as primary master, the new drive in as secondary master and boot into Windows. Follow these directions and shut down the machine. (If you **** up this step, you can probably boot into the "Last Known Good Configuration" to reverse it.)

3) Copy the drive.
                  Put both drives in as non primary master in the other machine. In Windows, copy the old drive to the new one by running the following command: xcopy "e:\*.* f:\*.* /h /e /c" where e: is your old drive and f: is the new one.

This can be done with one computer, but it gets MUCH more complicated. Also, you may want to go through your drive and delete as much as possible (especially your IE cache) before hand.

Comment

Hmm, check to make sure the drive is set to active and as a primary drive
                    Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

Djbac, you didn't make any mention of trying the commandline parameters in the KB doc... did you try those too?

Comment

Originally posted by DjBac
                        I used to use Ghost with no problems!!!
                        The new drive doesn't have jumpers (SATA)!!!
                        i can restore an image to the same drive, but not to a new one!!!
                        With the new one, after restoration it says either about no system disk, either NTDLR (or something like this) missing!!!
                        assuming its XP or 2k

If its not booting, becuase the boot sector is corrupt or whatever. Boot from the XP/2k CD and run the recovery console. use these commands to rebuild the master boot sector:

fixmbr (fixes master boot record)
                        fixboot (fixes any issues with NTLDR)

then type exit and see if it boots.
                        We are, will have and forever will be...
                        But not tommorrow!

Comment

hm some way i dont like norton gohst joust try acronis trueimage8 its the best ive seen jet.
                          http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/
                          Golf 3 CarPc Status
                          ///////////////50%--------------/
                          PSU:Inverter
                          GPS:BT GPS

PC: Slim notebook with 10.4"touch, external DVD.
                          Dock for car is in production.
                          Audio: Stock speakers but looking for new ones. CD-HU with FM modulator (ordered)

Comment

Originally posted by AlienEclipse
                            assuming its XP or 2k

If its not booting, becuase the boot sector is corrupt or whatever. Boot from the XP/2k CD and run the recovery console. use these commands to rebuild the master boot sector:

fixmbr (fixes master boot record)
                            fixboot (fixes any issues with NTLDR)

then type exit and see if it boots.
                            When I try this I get this message!!!!
                            This Computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition table if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Is this because the partitions between the 2 drives are of different size?

Comment

NO solution helped!!!!
                              Nevermind, another XP installation!!!
                              Thanx for your time though!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X