Programming D-Link Radio Interface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming D-Link Radio Interface

I have just bought a D Link radio of usb and I want to include control of it into a frontend i am designing but cant find any info on how to do this.

I have tried searching both this site and an others i can find but they only give information about the product, not programming for it.

If anyone could give me a helping hand with this or even a hint I would appreciate it!

Keegan
    Project Neville: "The Brain"
    MP3/GPS

Originally posted by keegan
    If anyone could give me a helping hand with this or even a hint I would appreciate it!
    Basically, you didn't write what os you're using or something. If you use libusb( win32 ) it can be as simple as that( locate fm-radio.c ):
    http://www.scyld.com/usb_tuner.html
    You still have to deal with Mixer settings and stuff though.
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

Comment

Oops

Sorry, Win2000 and C#

And here the edit starts!

Mixer settings have always been an issue as I am planning on using a four channel amp with fader/balance control built into the interface (not sure right not how difficult that will be but it is the plan!).

I know radio will come in through line in but hopefully some form of normalisation of volume will be made, even if it is manually.
      MP3/GPS

Comment

The easiest way is to use RC.exe, the command line control program for Radiator that is included with it. You can use it to control just about everything that Radiator can do. So from your front-end, just make Shell commands for whatever you want to do, using the appropriate RC call.

Comment

RC.exe sounds like a good call but if i can, i would prefer to write the interface myself.

I would like to learn how to do such things rather than using someone elses creation. This may sound egotistical but I haven't found my limit as far as programming goes and I want to know how far I can push myself before using someone elses software on such a project, even though I have used such software in the past which has worked beyond expectations.

Basically, I don't like not knowing how things work!
          MP3/GPS

Comment

This may sound egotistical but I haven't found my limit as far as programming goes and I want to know how far I can push myself before using someone elses software on such a project, even though I have used such software in the past which has worked beyond expectations.

Basically, I don't like not knowing how things work!
            I totally respect your position however, perhaps your knowledge for learning low level interfacing could be best used elseware (For instance, on developing interfaces with OBDII or something else.)

I truely believe in not reinventing the wheel. It is not as if passing command line arguments to a console based program is a lazy way to do things. Perhaps you can reconsider and use your time on something groundbreaking

Of course this is just my opinion, I wish you the best of luck.

moltensilver

Comment

I can quite easily see myself getting so far into this project and then find myself following your advice!

Its one thing advancing your own skills but when it comes to having a fully working carputer rather than waiting, I'll choose the easy way every time!
              MP3/GPS

Comment

Originally posted by moltensilver
                I truely believe in not reinventing the wheel. It is not as if passing command line arguments to a console based program is a lazy way to do things. Perhaps you can reconsider and use your time on something groundbreaking
                Well.
                Sending command to usb port as hard as sending them to the app. So if difficulty is the same, why bother and ask user to install zillions of other apps ?
                Car mediacenter

Comment

Has anyone got a copy of fm-radio.c? I have searched everywhere on the internet for it but can only find sites trying to sell me radios!

The website given above no longer has it for download, or if it does, it wont let me!
                  MP3/GPS

Comment

Here you go:
                    http://66.159.221.186/fm-radio.c
                    Here is the simple prog with libusb:
                    http://66.159.221.186/fm-test.c
                    Car mediacenter

Comment

Cheers again
                      MP3/GPS

Comment

I have a complete interop wrapper already written in C# for the D-Link Radio. I will give it to you. Just let me know what email to send it to. Just give me credit somewhere in your app. Unless you already got it figured out.

Take care
                        Ben S. Stahlhood II
                        Hybrid Mobile
                        MMC/Transcend Developer
                        --------------------------------------
                        http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/
                        http://www.cocoamachine.com/
                        http://weblogs.asp.net/bstahlhood/

Comment

I haven't had time to have a good look at it yet but would certainly appreciate the help and of course I'd credit you in the documentation

if you could mail it to keegan at vportal.co.uk I would appreciate it.
                          MP3/GPS

Comment

Working...
                          X