X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any success with Windows XP Embedded?

Any success with Windows XP Embedded?

and software (especially GPS)

and final disk size (after basic software install)

thanks!!!
    Spanish car-pc forum

Originally posted by sirope
    Any success with Windows XP Embedded?

and software (especially GPS)

and final disk size (after basic software install)

thanks!!!
    I run Xp Embedded. It works fine. I have Destinator support, multimedia, a OBD-link and since yesterday I managed to get my USB bluetooth drivers on the XP embedded os. All works fine. What are your issues?
    I had some issues with the drivers for the USB bluetooth dongle and the drivers for the USB touchscreen. These all can be installed after your image is deployed, because they are way too big/complex to be componentized.
    My USB Bluetooth device (sitecom CN-500) uses the widcomm drivers. You can install them after the image is created and working, but you'll need to add support for Windows Installer into your runtime.

And what do you mean by 'final disk size'? My OS is 200 Mb, without the maps for destinator.
    Needstorage
    --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

also thought of xp emebbed but i dunno where to get this damn systembuilder??
      btw i am MSDN Universal subscriber is it included there??
      Golf 3 CarPc Status
      ///////////////50%--------------/
      PSU:Inverter
      GPS:BT GPS

PC: Slim notebook with 10.4"touch, external DVD.
      Dock for car is in production.
      Audio: Stock speakers but looking for new ones. CD-HU with FM modulator (ordered)

Comment

Just downloading it myself (from ms website > windows > embedded > downloads ). Is there any recommended configuration I should use?
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
          Is there any recommended configuration I should use?
          Yes, your own...

What do you mean? The development system where you'll be creating your image? I use a P4-3 Ghz, FSB800, 1Gb ram, SATA disk. The Target Designer is pretty performance hungry. The loading of my build image into Target Designer takes approx. 20 secs. I'm sure it will work OK on a less powerfull system, but you'll have to be a bit pore patient.

As for the destination device you want to use, the best practice to get something going is by installing a normal XP pro on to the device and gathering the system information using the tap.exe tool that's provided with the Embedded XP tools. The result file of this command line tool can be imported into the component designer, which allow you to create a component for your device that has all hardware dependencies in it. To downsize your image, remove all stuff from that component you will not need. Be carefull with this process and I advice you to do this in steps. Create a working image with your component, deploy and test. Remove some stuff, recreate image, deploy and test...

If you have a blue screen while running the builded image the first time, it means that you have ignored some 'unknown hardware'. You'll have to supply drivers for ex.: Touchscreen, VGA, USB, ...
          Needstorage

Comment

Oh, and another one... Start working on a 'basic' setup. Just make sure your image runs fine with the minimal components installed/plugged in to your device. After you have a working image, add another component, componentize the drivers for the component using the Component Designer, add it to your Target Designers image, deploy and test. If you design like this, you'll be safe and get a the most success.
            Needstorage

Comment

Yes, final disk size is the windows xp + mp3 player + video player + gps soft and the required dlls.

I'm looking this: http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/my_e...42_DC639A.html
              but I want to be sure before buy.

The other option is to use my m10k with XPe image ( and DOM disk), but nobody share it (the XPe) although the basic hardware is the same: epia m10k
              Spanish car-pc forum

Comment

Originally posted by sirope
                Yes, final disk size is the windows xp + mp3 player + video player + gps soft and the required dlls.

I'm looking this: http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/my_e...42_DC639A.html
                but I want to be sure before buy.

The other option is to use my m10k with XPe image ( and DOM disk), but nobody share it (the XPe) although the basic hardware is the same: epia m10k
                Well, it's hard to share these images. You maybe have the same Epia board as someone else who uses XP embedded, but I'm sure you have some other peripherals that you will use. The basic image for a simple setup (Motherboard, Ram, Harddisk, VGA and keyboard) is not that hard to do. The peripherals are the hardest to do. So you will not gain a lot of time by using someonelse basic image. Just go ahead, and invest some time in it. My build -like it is now- has been changed approx. 50 times since I started from a basic setup. I've put a lot of work in it, success doesn't come easy, u know. I think I probably have been working 15 full days (120-150 houres) on just the XPE image, and I'm not even counting the research efforts, the proof of concepts, the front-end development and the wardware-install. I'm not even sure if I will still recognize my own wife in a couple of months...

About the link you gave... I wouldn't buy that. It's pretty expensive and you'll need an invertor for it if you don't want to open the case if this thin client has a built in PSU. Invertors are BAD stay away from them! They are your worst nightmare. Just buy yourself a Via board and start rocking!
                Needstorage

Comment

OK, i will use my epia m10k, thanks
                  Spanish car-pc forum

Comment

I just downloaded it from m$ using the evaluation link. is that like a trial version? if so, can anyone hook me up with a fresh copy? PLEASE!?!?!?
                    +++++++++++++++++++++++
                    John Craig '98 Cadillac Catera
                    http://www.digitizelife.com
                    +++++++++++++++++++++++

8" Lilliput TS VIA MII10000 C3 512MB DDR 2100
                    160GB 7200RPM WD Panasonic 24X24X24X8 CDRW-DVD
                    XM Direct Netgear WG511T 802.11g

Comment

Originally posted by jcraig
                      I just downloaded it from m$ using the evaluation link. is that like a trial version? if so, can anyone hook me up with a fresh copy? PLEASE!?!?!?
                      Well, the builds you create are time-limited. I still haven't found a 'fresh copy'. But if you supply a product code with your build, the build should be working fine. I don't have a product code for XP Embedded for now, I'm gonna investigate the cost and license details in the coming weeks to get me a non-time limited build.

Remember, when your in the process of testing and development, the time-limitation is not a show stopper, like I mentioned before, my build changes constantly (when adding new HW or adding new SW components) I never reached the end of the time limitation before.
                      Needstorage

Comment

Originally posted by jcraig
                        On the site there are links to Embedded partners - they should be able to help with a licensed copy. However you will find that there are no feature limitations in the evaluation except for the time limit.

If you are looking for a low footprint OS that you don't have to pay for there is always Linux...

Comment

If you are looking for a low footprint OS that you don't have to pay for there is always Linux...
                          True, but I hate to admit it, I'm a totally M$-minded developper. I just don't have the time to start working with linux.
                          Needstorage

Comment

Originally posted by Needstorage
                            True, but I hate to admit it, I'm a totally M$-minded developper. I just don't have the time to start working with linux.
                            I have to say though it annoys me that you cannot just download the Embedded builder and add a legitimate XP code to use it.

I bought a legitate retail copy of XP pro - so if I move to XPe I'll effectively be throwing it away.

Comment

I have to say though it annoys me that you cannot just download the Embedded builder and add a legitimate XP code to use it.

I bought a legitate retail copy of XP pro - so if I move to XPe I'll effectively be throwing it away.
                              Yep, that's so ******* true
                              Needstorage

Comment

Working...
                              X