Another linux player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another linux player

A new linux mp3/dvd/cd/vcd player DFBCar. There is no need for X. The player is written C and uses xine-lib and directfb, which is the only software required. Directfb is used for drawing to the graphics cards and xine-lib is used for playing media.

This software is in the early stages and not as feature rich as others, but my current operating system is less than 25MB and I bet can get much smaller. As of right now pushing the on button to the computer to dfbcar done starting only takes 25 secs.

This system was build with the hardware I have. I only have a 5.6" screen, so everything is very large and the software takes input from either keyboard or remote.

Any developers are greatly appreciated.

Go the link previously given in the post for screenshots and for downloading.
    linux mp3/dvd/cd player
    My Player Software - DFBCar

25 seconds!!! make it 10 seconds and then maybe i will be interested
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

This looks awesome dude

Comment

Hey, use it, don't use it, its up to you

I probably wasn't clear. The 25 seconds was meant for the boot of my system using dfbcar. From the time I push the on button on the computer, it takes 25 seconds and voila you can play dvd, mp3, etc. DFBCar itself takes about a sec to load. Most of the boot is bios.
        linux mp3/dvd/cd player

Comment

forgot to add

I can upload my 25mb linux operating system with dfbcar if anyone is interested. This is a read-only system so you can cut the power to the computer whenever, so no need for a startup or shutdown controller.
          The system was built for epia m10000, so unless you have an epia board, no modification to the kernel is needed.
          linux mp3/dvd/cd player

Comment

Wow yes; I am very interested!
            MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
            See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
            Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
            Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
            BMW I-Bus Integration
            My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

What linux are you running

What linux setup do you have to have the entire thing under 25mb? The 2.6.x kernel is twice that large.
              "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

- Mark Twain

Comment

Someone should write a new BIOS for EPIA boards. A Barebones firmware that just starts the computer. Forget troubleshooting. Make HDD info and such things entered by hand so that it doesn't test for them. Knocking BIOS time down would help EVERYONE.
                ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                  Someone should write a new BIOS for EPIA boards. A Barebones firmware that just starts the computer. Forget troubleshooting. Make HDD info and such things entered by hand so that it doesn't test for them. Knocking BIOS time down would help EVERYONE.
                  Ok Done: FreeBIOS supports EPIA boards last time I checked. Supposed to be able to boot Linux unbelivable fast with this system.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyque
                    What linux setup do you have to have the entire thing under 25mb? The 2.6.x kernel is twice that large.
                    Ummm ... I'm sure you know that you don't need to select everything in the kernel setup. By adding only those parameters that are specific for your mobo, sizes of 25mb.

I have 15mb linux image for my epia 6000CL that runs my firewall at home.
                    Caputer Mk. II
                    '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
                    MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
                    Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
                    OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

Originally posted by Nutzy
                      I can upload my 25mb linux operating system with dfbcar if anyone is interested.
                      Please do. I would love to try it. especially only 25mb.

Thanks
                      I didn't turn my back on my country, my country turned it's back on me.

Comment

Yes, Yes

Yes, I realize that you can get it smaller than this, I am just impressed with the small size. Most of the embedded linux distros are 40mb+, so 25 with the app is fairly good. I was just wondering what was being used. Is it a completely custom solution, or is it a trimmed down distro.
                        "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

- Mark Twain

Comment

I call trimmed distro...

I couldn't forsee the app being that large and i'm not sure how big the dependancies are but i would say a trimmed distro.
                          Caputer Mk. II
                          '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
                          MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
                          Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
                          OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

Nutzy, Can you post your .config file for your kernel somewhere? I am running the nemiah core M1000 and also wanted to compile in some other modules, and wanted to see what you had put into the kernel.

Thanks
                            I didn't turn my back on my country, my country turned it's back on me.

Comment

And you are probably right

I agree that the app itself is probably not that big, but when considering the libraries needed to run it, it can get up there.

I guess I need to check the size of these packages:

DirectFB-cvs
                              DirectFB-extra-cvs
                              xine-lib

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X