Need coding help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need coding help

I'm working on a front-end and it's coming along nicely; plays media through Winamp, reads/writes config file, custom skins working including background animations/animated buttons... I'm using Flash actionscript and Flash Studio Pro which is basically based on Visual Basic. I can send and receive SQL commands to my .mdb file no prob; however, I need to figure out how it can look in a location and parse through the files for ID3/meta tag information and spit it back to the database in tables/cells that I specify. I can accomplish everything else through actionscript and by utilizing Flash Studio Pro instead of trying to learn VB, but this one has got me stumped.. I think I'll have to go the VB or C# route... Flash Studio Pro can call external VB or C libraries, so even a DLL could suffice... Any help is very appreciated; I'll surely put anyone who helps in the credits.

Thanks guys,

99Bravada.
    Current:
    2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

found: http://www.vb-helper.com/howto_read_mp3_id3_tags.html
    •Micke

Comment

I've never used winamp's DLL's but I have done a bunch of media player and to get ID3 tags you must draw from a member in the media class. This is done with VB or C++ pretty easily.
      Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
      Via EPIA MII
      512MB RAM
      OEM GPS (embedded)
      nLite WinXP pro on
      1GB Extreme III CF card
      Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
      Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

frodo gave me his old DB builder as an example, it was tremendous help. when he wakes up ask him for it

Sorry didn't see you didn't know VB. Well in that case...I don't know, just look at the code anyways, you might be able to modify it if you know basic programming fundamentals.
        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

You could find someone to write you a custom dll in C# or VB, which would do just that. I'll look around the net and see if i can find one. I'm pretty heavy into VB.net right now.
          I'm assuming that all the component will need to do is look at a directory/sub directories and parse all the id3 tags and insert them into a database, kind of like what frodo player does to build/sync your music collection. Is that right?

Comment

if frodo gives the OK i'll post the DB Builder code or give it to someone to port to a DLL. sorry but i don't do dlls
            CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

I don't give a ****.
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by grepzen
                Thanks grepzen, but I cannot code in visual basic; I guess I need to learn someday
                Current:
                2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

Comment

Originally posted by ea972271
                  You could find someone to write you a custom dll in C# or VB, which would do just that. I'll look around the net and see if i can find one. I'm pretty heavy into VB.net right now.
                  I'm assuming that all the component will need to do is look at a directory/sub directories and parse all the id3 tags and insert them into a database, kind of like what frodo player does to build/sync your music collection. Is that right?

ea972271, that is exactly what I need, you are dead on... since I am using Flash Studio, I'll probably have to get someone to muck with the VB code a bit to work as I need it to... basically I'll have a folder browse icon or a field that the user can type in the location and a button (all in Flash) that will launch a VB function with the location variable as a parameter.
                  Current:

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
                    if frodo gives the OK i'll post the DB Builder code or give it to someone to port to a DLL. sorry but i don't do dlls
                    Thanks Grayscale and Frodo; this would be a tremendous help... I think there is someone in my office who knows VB so I could always get with one of them to put into a dll.
                    Current:

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      I don't give a ****.
                      That's the funniest damn thing I've seen all day!
                      Tidder

Try RevFE
                      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Hey Grayscale, did you find that code? I'll make sure to give Frodo credit in my app.
                        Current:

Comment

I used VB6 a few times years ago to create executable files no problem. But a couple of years ago I bought VB studio.net but the exe file would only run on the machine that I developed the application on. If I recal it was due to the fact that I had to deploy the .net framework. At this point I let it and have not used it since. Is this correct and if I create new aplications using VB.net will they run ok on other machines since the .net framework is on most machines as part of the operating system.

What is the most common development platform that people seem to be using?

Cheers Sick J

Comment

Working...
                          X