Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone share code for D3/Routis/Mappoint ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone share code for D3/Routis/Mappoint ?

Guys,
    Just wanted to ask if anyone willing to share code that works with any of these: D3, Routis, Mappoint or any other GPS stuff ?
    Sure I can get SDKs and play with it, but don't see any reason of doing it as many of you have working solutions already. You can either PM me or reply here.
    Thanks a lot.
    Bors/
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

do you want vb code for mappoint?
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Anything. For the start it would work as I have Mappoint already.
      Thanks.
      Car mediacenter

Comment

http://www.stevieg.org/downloads

Has basic code for MapPoint and Navigator Pro
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Thank you. I'll use whatever I can.
          Also I noticed that *nixoids mostly share sources whereas Windows guys tend not to. Funny huh ?
          Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by jbors
            Thank you. I'll use whatever I can.
            Also I noticed that *nixoids mostly share sources whereas Windows guys tend not to. Funny huh ?
            Yes maybe it's to cover up our inferior and slow code.

Someone made a discovery that MediaCar is GPL, after noticing that the copyright statement in the binary itself says GPL. Get a lawyer and force the code out of coyote!!!!

Comment

here is the thread on gpl and mediacar

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35097

jbors,

i know what you mean about windows vs nix.. i've been developing in linux for almost 10 years now and I started to develop an online poker game and i gotta do it in windows.. and its like pulling teeth to try to get help from windows people.

My mappoint code is on my backup webserver and its offline. I'll get it back up today and get the code. It is code that was going to go into mediaengine till they decided to switch to destinator.. on a side note.. i'm going to GPL it so that means anyone that uses it must also GPL their whole application how i love the gpl

It does some dumb turn by turn nav and reverse geocoding.. so you can grab your location from anywhere driving.
              '98 Explorer Sport
              80% done

Comment

Great,
                Don't worry about GPL it's fine with me. If you need any help on Windows side, let me know.
                Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                  Yes maybe it's to cover up our inferior and slow code.
                  May be and m$ also is making its bad influence. Anyway I don't see much to hide in the simple DirectShow/D3D wrappers. Honestly. My whole project takes about 200Kb out of which only 100Kb( 2K lines ) is what regular wrapper should use. Everything else is an extra such as cache, video player, captions, internal cddb and audio player.
                  Oh well.
                  Car mediacenter

Comment

here is my VB code for mappoint

http://homer.meso.com/crap/mappointVBCode.tar.gz

I put the GPL license in it.. so open source or die I figure if mediaengine isn't gonna use the code i might let others use it.. good luck

jbors, i know you'll be honest since your a linux guy
                    '98 Explorer Sport
                    80% done

Comment

I think it is due to the fact that Windows code is more valuable. Anyone could take your windows code and make millions! I'd imagine stealing unix code would be much less profitable...

Comment

its not that hard to find out if someone has stolen your code in a compiled exe anyway

edit: like in my mappoint code i have a function called ParseInput.. There is a program in linux to take out all the ascii stuff it finds in a file. In a exe all the function names and such are in ascii

[email protected]:~/junk/gps fixed$ strings finalmap2.exe | grep ParseInput
                        ParseInput

I had a CS teacher that always said it was more work to steal code and make it look your own the actually make your own code.
                        '98 Explorer Sport
                        80% done

Comment

Thats a good way of stopping people 'sharing' assignments...

Its true though... I made a fair bit of money doing other people's programming assignments for them while i was at Uni... I soon learned it was better to start from scratch each time, rather than modify my own assignment for them (so essentially i would do the assignment 3-4 times over)

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                            its not that hard to find out if someone has stolen your code in a compiled exe anyway

edit: like in my mappoint code i have a function called ParseInput.. There is a program in linux to take out all the ascii stuff it finds in a file. In a exe all the function names and such are in ascii

[email protected]:~/junk/gps fixed$ strings finalmap2.exe | grep ParseInput
                            ParseInput

I had a CS teacher that always said it was more work to steal code and make it look your own the actually make your own code.
                            I think this is true for all developers. Everyone shares code In my app, probably 75% of the code is shared. The job of the programmer is to just peice it together.
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by Dominik
                              I think it is due to the fact that Windows code is more valuable. Anyone could take your windows code and make millions! I'd imagine stealing unix code would be much less profitable...
                              I think that's a misnomer, it depends on what the code does that makes it valuable or not. MapPoint code for getting turn by-turn directions is by itself useful, but not valuable (probably due to some 'technical' issues with the licensing regarding 'real time vehicle guidance')

If you think someone could take your code, if it is indeed valuable and make millions, then remember, that they could employ a team of programmers to create an exact replica without the source - if it's code that would be shared on here then they could create an exact replica of anything the community here has done for under 100K which would be a good investment based on the 'millions' they would make.

A more realistic fear is piracy - if you're planning to sell your code what's to say it's not going to end up on a file-sharing network anyway robbing you of the millions you were planning to make...

If you're not planning to sell your code but don't want anyone else to use the code and re-sell it, then the GNU license is great. You don't HAVE to distribute the source code with the software, but if someone sends you, for example a floppy disk and stamped-address-envelope they can get a copy of the source. And if someone does use your code, an army of GNU fanatics will probably be behind you on your quest for justice (See http://slashdot.org/articles/03/02/1...id=117&tid=106)

Plus of course you can sell it...

I personally prefer the BSD license, because most fo the software I intend to release is unlikely to be ground-breaking. A lot of the windows stuff people on here make is just based on APIs from complanies like Microsoft, hence there is only a finite way of doing common tasks. If someone doesn't know how to do something, the chances are they'll end up doing exactly the same thing as someone else previously did, wasting a lot of time in the process.

The other solution is for the people that don't want to share source, but would like to help others get started, is wrap up those functions into DLLs then share them?

Just my two pence

Comment

Working...
                              X