Antivirus Poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus Poll

Just building my car PC Os and wondered what everyone was using for antivirus. I am looking for something reliable that doesnt eat resources have any annoying 'extras'. Just plain old anitvirus.

Post what you use and any comments with reference to it being used in a car pc.

dont need AV, i have an isolated system

ie. no wifi, the only interation my carputer has with another pc is the a usb key that comes from my desktop, which is protected
    AMD XP 2000+ 512Mb Ram MB:A-7VM400AM-RZ
    Zenarc 700TSV Netgear USB WiFi GPS Opus 150
    Running Win XP, FP, MM

Comment

I probably woudnt use AV even if your car pc connects to the internet. Your chances of getting a virus is reduced largly becaue of the fact that your web surfing time is limited. The amount of resources an AV program uses probably would be more of an annoyance.

If you use a browser try mozilla instead of IE to reduce your risk of spyware.
      Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
      Via EPIA MII
      512MB RAM
      OEM GPS (embedded)
      nLite WinXP pro on
      1GB Extreme III CF card
      Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
      Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
        I probably woudnt use AV even if your car pc connects to the internet. Your chances of getting a virus is reduced largly becaue of the fact that your web surfing time is limited. The amount of resources an AV program uses probably would be more of an annoyance.

If you use a browser try mozilla instead of IE to reduce your risk of spyware.
        So far i have been thinking no AV is best - just a bit paranoid. I have switched to firefox on my desktop and carpc and love it. much nicer to use however i have no email client at the moment and when i clicked on the email link in msn it opened my hotmail in IE!!!! I hate MS! I really wish you could get rid of IE all together.

Have SP2 on and the little red sheld was annoying me so i went straight to the options to the options to turn off the alerts about my firewall, AV and updates being all turned off. I have ghost so i guess i will just reghost the pc if it ever gets a virus.

Comment

Keep an image of your system, if something suffs up (eg a virus) just rebuild it, takes very little tiime
          Running Win XP, FP, MM

Comment

bugger, looks like you already thought of that
            Running Win XP, FP, MM

Comment

I'm not running any on mine.
              My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Comment

a virus in the car can be a frustrating thing, especially if you are using your pc as your whole front end & the virus could halt or put a damper on all mobile entertainment until you take the time to straighten it out. my advice would be that if your not connecting to the internet you have very little chance of getting a virus,so you may want to just play the odd's & not bother, but if you do connect to the internet and/or if your pc is your sole front end I would want to protect it as much as possible.

I have had two viruses in my car so far, & one was a type that would just randomly give a msg. that "the pc will shut down in 60 seconds, please close all..." talk about a pain in the neck, I had to quickly(within those 60 sec.) type "shutdown a-" or something like that at the run menu to abort the shutdown until I took the time to remove it.

my point is don't rule out the possibility of a virus in your car, it can & does happen & anti virus is something that I always include on my installs. I personally use nortons because I'm familiar with it & I like the auto updates, it does use alot of resources though, & can slow you down a bit sometimes but for the most part it just sits in the background doing nothing but monitoring, I guess it's a trade off of sorts.

another problem I've run across lately is spyware & this is in my opinion as much of a problem as viruses, if not even more so, can actually bring your computer to a halt real quick, I guess this just goes with the teritory...

I do connect to the internet all the time though & this may be part of the reason I see this more often, since I set up my firewall better I have been much less troubled though...hope this helps....
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

With virus protection, you would still have to take the time to update the virus engine and definations, that also takes time.

This is what I do with my carpc.

-Auto Update for windows getting the latest patches.
                  -I only use the network at my home to do wireless song updates, download the days e-mail and weather, this happens automatically when my vehicle is detected on my homes network. All of this is behind my network which is protected.

-My risk of viruses and spyware is limited because my front software downloads specific bits of information.
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Use a Mac.

No viruses for ya really.

My 2c
                    (All done)
                    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

I was thinking about some kind of antivirus i could keep on a write protected pen drive or CD-RW that i would update on my desktop and run in the car every now and then as a check. Anyone recomend of any good stand-alone AV programs that could run like this? The only times i expect to be on the internet are through my home network via wireless lan (or cable for now!) and through my mobile phone to get emails and CD info for new CDs rip in the car and my uni and orange have AV filters.

Comment

Bah! there's always gotta be one guy in the crowd.

If I were to write a virus to be an annoyance, I'd want to annoy a lot of poeple and not just a few, therefore I'd write a virus that affects pc, because naturally more people use PC's.
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Bah! there's always gotta be one guy in the crowd.

If I were to write a virus to be an annoyance, I'd want to annoy a lot of poeple and not just a few, therefore I'd write a virus that affects pc, because naturally more people use PC's.
                          Or you could write one for MACs to get them back and they would be unprepared and not know what to do! Set it to reformat their Ipod or summit (but not ones linked to a PC)

Comment

Although it's possible to do, nobody focuses on writing a virus for Mac or Linux, because they are based on Unix, which means user/file permissions will keep the bug from doing its job. It really has nothing to do with the OS' popularity. Windows simply allows a bug to do its thing completely unnoticed, and it's a happy bonus (if you write malicious code) that it's also the most-used OS.

Bah, as for AV on a car PC? Use Mozilla Firefox, and you eliminate the potential for most of the bugs, including a large proportion of spyware/adware. If you get email, it's obvious you'll be using web-based email, and most services scan that for you (yahoo, hotmail etc). If you're using Outlook, shame on you. Get Mozilla Firebird, and turn off that virus distribution tool.

That will keep you safe while minimizing the use of resources on your carPC
                            The ALEXIS Project
                            MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                            Color Coding :
                            DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

With virus protection, you would still have to take the time to update the virus engine and definations, that also takes time. ...

nortons does auto updates, no user interaction required once you set it up....
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X