Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a MUST HAVE proggy for low-memory systems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a MUST HAVE proggy for low-memory systems.

I am running a 128 MB ram sysem with epia m10000 and audigy 2nx USB soundcard on XP pro. It was an nightmare! Along with software problems, I was getting USB bandwidth problems - I thought it was hardware, thought about getting more ram and sacryficing on hibernate time... until I tried....

tadaaaa...

CachemanXp by Outer Technologies!

Problems disappeared! Everythig runs smoothly now. It's a miracle piece of software. GET IT NOW!
    car computer status: ready_
    : epiam10000 256meg, audigy2nx :-F, ground loop :-)
    :
    : check out my car putter here
    : check out my FrodoPlayer skin here

Yea, but what does this do ? I've had amazing farts before but everyone knows why they were amazing !! please tell us what this does !!!

-Thanks
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

It manages, optimizes, and recovers your RAM from inactive applications- sounds like good thing on rarely rebooted, freequently hibernated systems. I used it before on my desktop (~700 meg system) and I thought it does something... Now on the poor 100 MB epia system (128 - something for a video) I know it does miracles.

I wouln't write that just because I farded nicely with this one. If you don't want to try it just for fun... At least try this before even considering a memory upgrade!
      :

Comment

Windows operating systems, especially WinXP manages it's own memmory. Of course memmory management is also programming language specific, but generally the OS picks up and throws out the trash thats left around.

VB.Net, JAVA, VB6 are all managed code, there's no need for an application running in the background doing what windows does already. I'm not convinced and I think a peice of software like this would be more of a memmory and cpu cycle hog creating un-needed cpu threads to "manage" the code I write..
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
          Windows operating systems, especially WinXP manages it's own memmory. Of course memmory management is also programming language specific, but generally the OS picks up and throws out the trash thats left around.

VB.Net, JAVA, VB6 are all managed code, there's no need for an application running in the background doing what windows does already. I'm not convinced and I think a peice of software like this would be more of a memmory and cpu cycle hog creating un-needed cpu threads to "manage" the code I write..
          Yep, they're quite simply useless...http://www.silentlightning.net/content.php?article.46
          Destinator 3 For PC! - http://www.map-monkey.co.uk/

Comment

I've had amazing farts before but everyone knows why they were amazing !!
            That's awesome.

Memory managers used to be ok to use in the days of 98. But not really anymore. I think anything NT-based can manage memory a lot better itself than a program would. Probably causes more problems than does good (if any)
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Windows operating systems, especially WinXP manages it's own memmory.
              Yes. And there is no need for a disk defragmenter, since XP hase one built-in.

At this moment I open Task Manager, where I have Photoshop running since yesterday- it uses 12MB of RAM. I go into Cacheman, right click "Photoshop"> click "lower RAM usage"- It uses 3 MB now (as stated in task manager).
              Then I go to make some strokes in Photoshop- it uses 20MB when i draw. I minimize Photoshop: 2,7MB!!!

firefox.exe: before: 58 MB, after: 30 MB (just as I am typing now). When minimized: 10MB,
              javaw.exe: before: 59 MB, after: 15 MB!!

How many times you heard about Microsoft implementing something in Windows, eliminating the need for third-party software. Come on! In most cases it doesn't work. Why are you so sceptic about it???

All I can say is what I' ve got here: It really works for me. And it works great! Where is less disk activity on swapfile, Hibernation works better and my problems with Audigy disappeared. Since many of you have similiar configuration (Epia, low-RAM), I thing it's going to work for you too. Pleeese try it! They've got a free trial: http://www.outertech.com/
              ... then we'll talk, okay?
              :

Comment

Are you a sales person for this company or something. This peice of "Miracle" software magically lowers the amount of RAM usage, gets rid of harddrive chaching and eliminates swap file ?? So explain to me where all the information which should be stored in your ram is actually going, because these 3 mechanisisms described above were desgined to handle applications that take more RAM than you system has. If this software is lowering the footprint of my applications in RAM then its definatly doing some fishey things.

By either loading the DLL's adobe uses into the SWAP file or closing what it thinks are useless process in the system, this is ridiculous !!!

As a programmer, its peices of software like this that drive me nuts !!! Someone's going to run this with my front end software and say to me, your software plays DVD's extra slow and curse at me, when in reality its this POS background application trying to make "smart" decesions for the windows OS by reading the dvd from my harddrive instead of letting my media application create a RAM buffer so the video can stream nicely (in RAM) where bandwidth is MUCH fast than from the HDD.

Try this out, load a 10-15 MB image into abode on that system and move it back and forth letting the system render it a few times with that "RAM" optimizer on, then turn it off and do the same thing, then tell us which rendering process ran faster.
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

pwn3d
                  Mozilla Search Plugin

Comment

Are you a sales person for this company or something.
                    No. I work at Probud: www.probud.pl We are producing reinforced concrete constructions and products. I'm actually co-owner.
                    Geeez, man- all I am trying to do here is share a positive impression i got. Believe, if you can, Don't believe if you prefer to. There is no need to attack.

This peice of "Miracle" software magically lowers the amount of RAM usage, gets rid of harddrive chaching and eliminates swap file ?? So explain to me where all the information which should be stored in your ram is actually going, because these 3 mechanisisms described above were desgined to handle applications that take more RAM than you system has. If this software is lowering the footprint of my applications in RAM then its definatly doing some fishey things.
                    I am not a programer- you are. I think you should figure out there are few htings one can do to improve RAM usage.
                    I can Image you sayin the same thing when you used windows 98 some time ago. There is no need for memory optimizer since 98 is doing it itselve. And then what? You are saing that Windows XP has a lot better memory management. Do you really think it is ULTIMATE???

Again: this proggy makes huge diffrence for me. It really works! If you choose not to try it out, can you at least be a little more open-minded and not cross it out?
                    :

Comment

So be it, use the software and hopefully your enjoying the "benefits"

For others that read this and are curious if they will get the same results as ernie, I highly doubt it. Spend the extra 45 dollers on more RAM if you think your system is running much too slow. Otherwise, let windows deal with memmory management.

If you think windows doesn't have the greatest memmory management then how can an application running on top of windows do better ? Afterall windows does have control at a much lower level than an application running @ the surface.

I truely beleive this is a gimmick and I'm not writing back to "insult" anyone.

My intentions are to use my knowladge for the good of the community. I truely believe that your system could be running even better with the correct setup.

Thank you for your effort and please dont be discouraged by my feedback as I mean no harm

Via EPIA MII
                      512MB RAM
                      OEM GPS (embedded)
                      nLite WinXP pro on
                      1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

If you think windows doesn't have the greatest memmory management then how can an application running on top of windows do better ? Afterall windows does have control at a much lower level than an application running @ the surface.

Like it was the first time that that hapenned!!!!!

Comment

From the minds of "640k ought to be enough for everybody"
                          •Micke

Comment

Working...
                          X