Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin Control v1.0

Hello gang,

I wrote some software for my car project called Cabin Control and what it basically does is interface to a Phidgets 8/8/8 Interface board to control temperature inside of my computer case. For example, I have a temperature sensor in the cabin area of my car and one inside my case. Based on the temperatures inside the case and outside, my software will control two DC fans to blow air out of the case or blow air inside the case. I.e. if its summer it will most likely exhaust the air, in the winter it will mostly take the air from the cabin as it warms up.

I also use it to monitor the voltage of the battery and I have a dual axis accelerometer to monitor tilt. This is more of an experimental/info gathering then for practical use, but I thought I would see if people are interested in it. I've basically custom built it for my own use but I could make it more generic, skinnable and configurable from a ini file if some people wanted it.
    Attached Files

thats pretty slick
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Thanks! There are a ton of potentially cool things you could use phidgets for in a car project. Especially the relay board. I basically want to be able to troubleshoot/have proper info if/when something happens. I.e. low voltage, extreme cold, extreme heat.

Comment

Originally posted by King_Aero
        Thanks! There are a ton of potentially cool things you could use phidgets for in a car project. Especially the relay board. I basically want to be able to troubleshoot/have proper info if/when something happens. I.e. low voltage, extreme cold, extreme heat.
        Keep up the good work. Those phidgets seem to be very versatile, lots of different applications for it.
        Installation Complete, pics soon

EPIA M10000 in Morex 3688 case
        FrodoPlayer
        CoPilot Live 8

Back from long hiatus, will be rebuilding soon

Comment

In the end, I don't see the "Control Status" interface looking like that, because the raw sensor values are useless to people and myself. Its more or less a debugging tool for now. I'll likely replace it with some visualizations for the dual axis sensor.

Comment

That's pretty sweet! Please make it skinable.
            It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

What language is it written in?
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

( Sorry ) whats a phidgets ?

Terran
                My Project Site

Comment

www.phidgetsusa.com
                  There a seller of general purpose PC controlled I/O cards with various analog / Digital inouts and relay outputs
                  pretty impresive boards, but pricey unfortunalty.
                  Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                  www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                    What language is it written in?
                    Its probably not what you would expect it to be written in but its a MFC Dialog based application written in C++. GUI applications and higher level programming languages like VB are not my most skilled area. I'm more of a low level C programmer. I think there will be some limitations to using what I did, but it has gotten the job done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Danceheaven
                      www.phidgetsusa.com
                      There a seller of general purpose PC controlled I/O cards with various analog / Digital inouts and relay outputs
                      pretty impresive boards, but pricey unfortunalty.
                      I'm growing a real soft spot for phidgets because while from your perspective they are expensive, if you look at how much data acquistion boards cost in for commercial purposes (ie. not hobby) they are much more and require more layers of software to even use it.

The fact that you can buy this board with fairly cheap sensors and have a DLL you can use to talk with the board is awesome. I think they are great. I was looking for a dual axis tilt sensor stand a lone and it was going to cost me over $300US for the lowest price one and it was using an RS232 interface. You can buy a 0 - 5V sensor easily enough, but that really doesn't help you still need a board to make a digital signal.

Comment

Originally posted by King_Aero
                        Its probably not what you would expect it to be written in but its a MFC Dialog based application written in C++. GUI applications and higher level programming languages like VB are not my most skilled area. I'm more of a low level C programmer. I think there will be some limitations to using what I did, but it has gotten the job done so far.
                        Nice! We don't get many C programmers around here.
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I agree that phidgets are great!!! Your imagination is the limit!!!
                          I am working on a project to control as many features I can in the car!!!
                          i.e. auto alarma lights when hard braking (with g-sensor), auto engine start when voltage drops... HVAC, shock absorbers, windows, lock/unlcok/ auto headlight with light sensor... etc etc...

Try the phidgets and I bet you won't regret it!!!

KING AERO!!!
                          Have you managed to put a thermometer on the CPU??

Comment

Originally posted by DjBac
                            I agree that phidgets are great!!! Your imagination is the limit!!!
                            I am working on a project to control as many features I can in the car!!!
                            i.e. auto alarma lights when hard braking (with g-sensor), auto engine start when voltage drops... HVAC, shock absorbers, windows, lock/unlcok/ auto headlight with light sensor... etc etc...

Try the phidgets and I bet you won't regret it!!!

KING AERO!!!
                            Have you managed to put a thermometer on the CPU??
                            Sounds like you've got a lot of uses for phidgets in your project.

Comment

Temp sensor is $8.25. I will have to clear it with my wife and the bank, but damn this stuff is so cool I am going ALL IN!
                              2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                              2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                              Sound Stage
                              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Working...
                              X