Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security APP (four digit pin requirement)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security APP (four digit pin requirement)

To all developers

I'm interested in the ability to require a password before entering frodoplayer (or any other engine). Right now i use hibernate, and what i'm thinking is users are required to enter a four digit pin in before they can gain access to the computer. If the password is not entered within say 1 minute the computer shuts down. I work for GM and there are frequently others driving my car (ie to wash it or do repairs etc) I dont' want any of them using it...and i thought it'd be a neat security app.

What do you guys think?
    Asus Pundit Barebones PC
    7" Lilliput LCD
    P4 2.8ghz 512mb 120gb
    Windows XP Pro, VOICES
    Sony Xplode 10in Sub, Rockford 600w amp
    Pioneer 6x9's and 4x6's, Kenwood 4ch amp
    Black Widow Alarm with Pager

Originally posted by ryguy
    To all developers

I'm interested in the ability to require a password before entering frodoplayer (or any other engine). Right now i use hibernate, and what i'm thinking is users are required to enter a four digit pin in before they can gain access to the computer. If the password is not entered within say 1 minute the computer shuts down. I work for GM and there are frequently others driving my car (ie to wash it or do repairs etc) I dont' want any of them using it...and i thought it'd be a neat security app.

What do you guys think?
    Does it have to look good? Sounds pretty easy IMO. Just capture the resume event, hide the taskbar, and disable the system key. Only problem is that if the users are smart enough to turn the computer on and off then u got trouble.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well if the computer is rebooted, i would think it should come up at that time as well?

Basically whether its resuming from hibernation, standby, or booting up for the first time it shoudl be loaded. As far as looks...something cool looking is always good.

It would be neat if as you pressed the numbers they showed they were being indented too...ie like in the movies when they press their hand on the biometric authentication device
      Asus Pundit Barebones PC
      7" Lilliput LCD
      P4 2.8ghz 512mb 120gb
      Windows XP Pro, VOICES

Comment

Well if the computer is rebooted, i would think it should come up at that time as well?

Basically whether its resuming from hibernation, standby, or booting up for the first time it shoudl be loaded. As far as looks...something cool looking is always good.

It would be neat if as you pressed the numbers they showed they were being indented too...ie like in the movies when they press their hand on the biometric authentication device
        I guess I could make it over the weekend. I already got the skin code, but not the make skin code, so I'll need to work on that unless you like randomly guessing numbers for were the buttons go

For startup... place it in the registry... that's what I'll do

BTW: Use NaviVoice
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Hey right on! I'm sure there are other users out there who will use it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to tie this into frodoplayer at all? Say it woudl only ask for a password IF you turned this feature on by checking something off before exiting frodoplayer?

Ie so its not prompting you for a password everytime it boots...but only when you lock it?
          Asus Pundit Barebones PC
          7" Lilliput LCD
          P4 2.8ghz 512mb 120gb
          Windows XP Pro, VOICES

Comment

Hey right on! I'm sure there are other users out there who will use it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to tie this into frodoplayer at all? Say it woudl only ask for a password IF you turned this feature on by checking something off before exiting frodoplayer?

Ie so its not prompting you for a password everytime it boots...but only when you lock it?
            That's a frodoplayer request If I make this program, it will ask every time you turn the computer on. It shouldn't be that bad... its only a password prompt.
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Cool, lets try it out...then maybe Frodo can implement it into his player?
              Asus Pundit Barebones PC
              7" Lilliput LCD
              P4 2.8ghz 512mb 120gb
              Windows XP Pro, VOICES

Comment

FrodoPlayer lets you run a program on resume. Stick it there.
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

I think it would be more annoying to shutdown the computer that way. C'on... its just a password... make it 3 letters if you think its annoying
                  Originally posted by frodobaggins
                  FrodoPlayer lets you run a program on resume. Stick it there.
                  Sweet No need to have resume monitoring or startup monitoring
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

If you make it have resume monitoring and startup monitoring it will be compat with all frontends! and even other programs!
                    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                      If you make it have resume monitoring and startup monitoring it will be compat with all frontends! and even other programs!
                      True to that I've still got lots of work to do on the skinning app

BTW: I can't do startup monitoring... the program gets launched for the first time on startup, so what I'll do is bring up that screen for password conformation.
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I would like this for my laptop too, what about SafeMode, would it bypass it? (I don't want it to.)

What happens on too many failed attempts? Shutdown maybe?
                        [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Just thought about this:
                          Maybe 2 access codes that will access the system.
                          One for daily use
                          One as a failsafe (in case you forget your "daily" one).

Comment

Originally posted by GruvThang
                            I would like this for my laptop too, what about SafeMode, would it bypass it? (I don't want it to.)

What happens on too many failed attempts? Shutdown maybe?
                            Safety mode bypasses ALL the programs, even services, and registry entrees. So I can't do anything about that
                            Originally posted by GruvThang
                            Just thought about this:
                            Maybe 2 access codes that will access the system.
                            One for daily use
                            One as a failsafe (in case you forget your "daily" one).
                            Good plan
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                              Safety mode bypasses ALL the programs, even services, and registry entrees. So I can't do anything about that
                              Guess they will have to be sure to hide the keyboards!

Comment

Working...
                              X