[WinXP] Manually completly remove Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WinXP] Manually completly remove Driver

Hey guys, I need to reinstall the audio drivers for my via m10k but i want to completly remove it before reinstalling it.

Does anyone have a link or can explain the process of doing this. I did some google searches and found some stuff but i wanted to know what the concensus is on this board.

Thanks alot guys
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

format c:

j/k.. I would be interested in this too... since I always seem to have a driver issue
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

ttt

Comment

from another forum:

Right click on the device in device manager, choose properties and then the driver tab.

click the driver files button and this will list all the files the device uses.

Note these names and then uninstall the device from device manager

Before rebooting do a search for the files you listed and delete them, When you reboot windows should now consider this as new hardware.

Hope it helps you guys!
        [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

I will give it a try however i think windows xp stored a backup copy somewhere. So i f i do as you say it will still automatically load the drivers. I will test and see tonight

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
            I will give it a try however i think windows xp stored a backup copy somewhere. So i f i do as you say it will still automatically load the drivers. I will test and see tonight
            Search the registry for the name of the device and remove all instances of that particular device from teh registry.
            When you reboot and go to re-install it, then it's not going to know where to look because you removed the entries.
            You can also search for the names of the files listed int eh driver file details for the devices and remove those entries as well.

I have to do this a lot when a client installs 18 gazillion printers and drivers get all gunged up.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

In device manager, you can right click on the sound card driver and hit "Uninstall"
              That's easier. Or just open properties, Driver tab and "Update Driver" then "I want to choose location myself" and give it the folder where the new files are (including the .INF file). If you don't choose it yourself it will find the old .INF of the current driver in C:\Windows\Inf and reload the old one.

Comment

Thanks but i have tried that and that doesn't work

I need to completly remove the driver. Uninstall does'nt completly remove it. When you reboot it automatically loads the driver for it even if you uninstall it

Comment

Does it go through the whole "Found new hardware" thing and automatically finds and installs it? If so, go to C:\WINDOWS\INF and open each of the oem<number>.inf files (double-click will load it in notepad) and find the one with the sound card driver. Then once you find it, delete it and the associated oem<number>.pnf file. Now uninstall and reboot, and it won't know what to install.

Comment

For best results, go into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, the driver should not be loaded into the memory which may be the reason why you can't get rid of it in Normal Mode.

To get into Safe Mode, continually press F8 after the BIOS screen and the "system description table" (first thing after the BIOS). I say continaully because you have to time it just right sometimes and it is just easier to keep hitting F8. It doesn't have to be real fast; about once per second should work.

Derek
                    Progress [||-------]
                    View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                    Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

I am sitting in my car now (laptop and wifi ) anyways it seems that i was able to get rid of the driver using the advice above. I will write more in a bit

Comment

Another word of advice for all: Don't let Windows pick a driver for you! Always specify what driver you want to use. For best results, before installing the new peice of hardware, download the newest driver from the manufacturer's website. When Windows wants to install the driver, specify to look in the folder where you extracted the previously mentioned driver (ie. c:\SB Extigy 18NOV04\ - use the date of the driver release or be sure you title the downloaded file appropriately for future use).

I let Windows automatically install the driver for my DLink 802.11g wNIC. It picked some driver that was not even a wNIC. Fifteen seconds after Windows was loaded, the system would lock up. I would connect to the router and quickly open IE and then it would lock up. Everything appeared to be working fine up until then. With the card removed, the system would work fine. It took me forever to realize that the driver was wrong and I needed to get rid of it. (In Safe Mode, of course. That took some more thinking).

Glad to be of assistance.

Derek
                        Progress [||-------]

Comment

Also remove the device out of your registry by finding it in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\blah.blah.blah. ..

This is only for windows XP, though I've been able to find the same key in other versions.

This removes the device description which has always been good for me. Remove the inf and this registry key, and you should be home free.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE
                          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

So what i did was a combination of Gruvthang's post and Curiosity's second post. That got it so it asked me for the drivers.

Although completly removing and reinstalling my drivers didn't fix my original problem. WTF... Maybe a reinstallation of XP is next.

Comment

I just noticed the soundcard that you have. I have not previous knowledge of this particular card but there was another user (CAT MONKEY) is having problem regarding the 5.1 usage on this card.

If in doubt, FORMAT!

Derek
                              Progress [||-------]

Comment

Working...
                              X