Ram and hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram and hibernation

So, obviously the less ram you have, the faster your Hibernate times are gonna be.

but here's my question.
    Does Ram speed matter when it comes to Hibernation. Will a PC3200 outperform a PC2700 in boot-up times?...
    and by how much? (guestimates accepted)
    mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
    Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

anyone...? anyone?
    mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37

Comment

Any memory is going to be faster than the transfer speed of a HD.
      So I'd say that the write speed of the HDD is going to be the bottle neck, along with the amount of memory to write.
      Kevin

Build status {..........|} 99%
      All installed - now into the fiddling about stage
      Car:MR2
      MB: EPIA C800
      Display:Xenarc 700TS
      Power:PW-70A & ITPS
      Mem:384MB
      HDD:40Gb Maxtor Diamond max
      Radio:Dlink DRU-100
      GPS:BU-303

Comment

Your talking about miliseconds between the two types of RAM....
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

I don't think less ram hibernates faster. It's a matter of how much ram is in use. I had a 512 stick, but only 180megs being used. My hibernate was taking too long for my system, so i switched it for a 256 stick. It made no difference at all.

Comment

Hibernate will take up the ammount of ram, weather it is filled up or not, and the size of the swap file. So the less tham the better for fast boot, esp. since you don't have to check all of it.
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Agreed it takes up the same amount of space as ram. But I think that the space is just reserved for the hibersys file. I don't think it actually writes the full 512mb of ram during hibernation.
              That the only explanation I can come up with for it notting hibernating any faster when the amount of ram is halfed.
              Remember, my system wasn't using more than 256 in the first place. This would obviously not apply if more than 256mb of ram was actually being used in the 512 stick scenario.

Comment

I highly doubt it will write the whole 512 Mbytes if you have that much ram. It takes a couple of minutes to write a file that big.
                Current Setup

Nexus 7 Tablet
                Built in head unit
                Brutus 1500Watt Amp
                Two Boston 12" subs

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport ;) My 4 door Camaro... lol

Comment

Originally posted by l0gic
                  So I'd say that the write speed of the HDD is going to be the bottle neck, along with the amount of memory to write.
                  Exactly. Try getting a faster hard drive if you want faster speeds.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

like how much improvement would a faster hardrive give me in general?

Comment

Originally posted by cadence117
                      like how much improvement would a faster hardrive give me in general?
                      I have an SATA HD and it takes about 10 - 11 seconds to come out of hibernate.
                      (2.4 Ghz celeron, 256 Ram)

Comment

Working...
                      X