Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

supported file types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • supported file types

    I have decided to enter the already crowded market for Car PC software and make my own. Mostly because I like to have everything integrated and dont want to tack on external programs to add features.

    I was wondering what file types are esstential for your needs for audio and video? I am making the software completely independant as far as not using wmp or winamp etc. All playback will be handled through the .net framework. I already have a basic audio module done that handles MP3, Wav, OGG and WMA. What other audio formats would you like to see added? Also what video formats do you want to see? I am going to include AVI, MPG, Divx, WMV, ASF, and a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment.

    Overall I just want some feedback as to what formats you want to see supported for audio and video.

  • #2
    .MOV for quicktime files ?

    thats the only one i can think of right now.. that I would possibly use...

    btw.. how are you gonna handle navigation?... are you gonna use mappoint as a base ?
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

    Comment


    • #3
      .CDA/.VOB (is this the right dvd format?)

      basically ability to play audio cds, and dvds put into the cd drive...
      Roy

      2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Writing your own...

        Originally posted by SWC
        I have decided to enter the already crowded market for Car PC software and make my own. Mostly because I like to have everything integrated and dont want to tack on external programs to add features.

        I was wondering what file types are esstential for your needs for audio and video? I am making the software completely independant as far as not using wmp or winamp etc. All playback will be handled through the .net framework. I already have a basic audio module done that handles MP3, Wav, OGG and WMA. What other audio formats would you like to see added? Also what video formats do you want to see? I am going to include AVI, MPG, Divx, WMV, ASF, and a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment.

        Overall I just want some feedback as to what formats you want to see supported for audio and video.
        What language are you planning on authoring this in? Are you willing to do team work for a common goal?
        "Everything is possible"
        MB Quart 6 1/2" comp, 5 1/4" coax
        2 JL 8W0, RF 500s 250 x 2, 400x 100 x 4
        HU: RF 9210G CD / MP3

        PC: VIA M1000, 512 MB RAM, Pioneer CD/DVD Slot Load, Linksys WiFi,

        IgnitionMediaPC - home grown C# application.

        Comment


        • #5
          .ogm for movie files, and maybe real audio and video althought that is not to common, i think you listed the most important ones
          EPIA MII-1200, 512 MB Ram, Seagate 7200 RPM 160GB hard drive, Orinoco Gold with 5.5 dB external antenna, Lilliput 7" TS, DVD-ROM, M2-ATX, Rikaline 6010 GPS, Running Frodo Player
          My Truckputer

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by strohj
            .MOV for quicktime files ?

            btw.. how are you gonna handle navigation?... are you gonna use mappoint as a base ?
            .mov is definitely something I am going to implement.

            As far as GPS goes. I was definitely going to use destinator since the SDK is available. I really don't want to embed any software if I don't have to but if enough people want mappoint it wouldnt be too hard to give it the ability to embed the software to use that.

            Originally posted by RoyN
            .CDA/.VOB (is this the right dvd format?)

            basically ability to play audio cds, and dvds put into the cd drive...
            Definitely in the cards for inclusion.

            Originally posted by weaselcoder
            What language are you planning on authoring this in? Are you willing to do team work for a common goal?
            I definitly am, I want to get the project a little further along before I go and start working with others. I am using VB.net but will probably use c# or c++ for some of the custom controls (which I will definitely need help with) and may even have to move the video decoder to c if I can't get these video issues resolved. I am not sure if its just vb not being fast enough or an error on my part.

            So far I have a basic audio player that handles MP3, Wav, WMA and Ogg (when it wants to, thats still a little choppy) and can create and read playlists.

            Video I am having some issues with that I need to work out so far it supports AVI but during playback every 15-20 seconds it freezes for 1-2 seconds then continues like normal.

            Overall this is very much in its infancy, I haven't even begun to work on skinning support, plug-in support etc. I have a lot of plans and will include stuff like video lockout when the vehicle is in drive for those that want to set up something to be street legal in most places in the US as well as some foreign countries (I'm sure require video lockout) as well as other things. I will be throwing up a website around first of the year when the project is a little further along and I have a more solid set of features I want to include.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bbrother
              .ogm for movie files, and maybe real audio and video althought that is not to common, i think you listed the most important ones

              What format is ogm used for?

              As far as real audio and video go, they are very low on my list. I have a deep hatred for real. But its a possibility.

              Comment

              Working...
              X