DirectSound in Visual Basic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectSound in Visual Basic

Has anyone had experience with streaming buffers using DirectX 8 and VB6?

My code's currently using a winamp input plugin wrapper dll, obtaining audio data from that, and writing it to a DirectSound secondary streaming buffer which is working quite nicely. However, i've run into a problem: When you drag windows around a lot, available CPU time goes to nothing and my app starts buffer underrunning.

Is there a way around this, other than making the buffer extra huge, or increasing the process priority of my application?

Well I might be wrong but, I think direct X is pretty heavy for a VB app to be running. But your only doing audio so really it shouldnt be that bad... Check your code maybe your missing something ?

Also Fmod.dll is supposed to be the best for streaming audio with a real light weight foot print. (Maybe you can give that a whirl)
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Ah, i'm using winamp plugins because i need APE and MPC in what i'm going to do, but i'll take a look at fmod.. looks nice Thanks!

Found the problem.. which is quite odd... seems that if you call debug.print, it wastes a hell of a lot of time, and in that time the buffer can underrun. Stripped those statements out and it's all good.

Comment

Sweet ! Weird about that debug.print tho.
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Working...
        X