Change volume with Engine RPM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change volume with Engine RPM

I think this would be a great feature, or standalone program. You could use an OBD II device or a mic.

Change the volume by percentages based on the rpm of the engine. Vehicle speed could also be taken into consideration.

up 50% at max rpm.

Eg. (volume is set at 33%, if you rev to max rpm it is now at 50% because 33% x 150% = 50%)

up 30% at interstate speeds.

Eg. (volume is set at 33%, at 60mph the volume is reset to 44%, if the engine rpms are at max then it becomes 66%)

arg.. i just need to get off my *** and program.
    Bruno Speech Recognition - Advanced Speech Recognition designed to control any program. Extra support for FrodoPlayer and Winamp.

Mercedes release this function over microphone. Mesured sound level change audio system volume.

Comment

There are plenty of head units that use the same technology. JVC el kameleon is one. Someone could use that technology as a reference
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

We are considering this by picking up on the engines tacho froma relay card a level of sensitivity could be set in the seetings in any case
        Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
          There are plenty of head units that use the same technology. JVC el kameleon is one. Someone could use that technology as a reference
          I have one of those, how do I get that working??

Comment

could you just not increase the volume by the speed of the car.. ie. at 60mph the volume is increased by a extra 5%.. or to make it easy an extra 1% per 10 miles an hour extra.. so if a gps is connected then thats all you need. Its more road noise, then engine rev noise I would of thought..
            Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Speed would make more sense than RPM. Your car moves faster in higher gears at the same RPM generating more noise from the road and wind. My factory Tahoe stereo has SCV or speed controlld volume.
              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
              ATVMS.com

Comment

We experimented with this a while ago based on the car speed from GPS, the fundamentals are easy really.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDaMonkMan
                  I think this would be a great feature, or standalone program. You could use an OBD II device or a mic.

Change the volume by percentages based on the rpm of the engine. Vehicle speed could also be taken into consideration.

up 50% at max rpm.

Eg. (volume is set at 33%, if you rev to max rpm it is now at 50% because 33% x 150% = 50%)

up 30% at interstate speeds.

Eg. (volume is set at 33%, at 60mph the volume is reset to 44%, if the engine rpms are at max then it becomes 66%)

arg.. i just need to get off my *** and program.
                  That big of a change in volume would be annoying and sound wierd you would have to make much smaller changes i think. My stock headunit in my chevy does this (using speed not rpm), the trick is gettin it to change gradually so you dont notice, also rpm def. wouldnt work, every time you shif the volume would drop and it would just not work. At least that's my opinion.
                  EPIA MII-1200, 512 MB Ram, Seagate 7200 RPM 160GB hard drive, Orinoco Gold with 5.5 dB external antenna, Lilliput 7" TS, DVD-ROM, M2-ATX, Rikaline 6010 GPS, Running Frodo Player
                  My Truckputer

Comment

Chevy's have been doing this for 15 years now. This is nothing new.
                    2.4 celeron
                    150 watt OPUS
                    micro atx
                    xp pro
                    tv/radio tuner card
                    audigy
                    Dual monitor Radeon
                    802.11G Mimo
                    xm pcr
                    dvd
                    gps
                    8" Lilliput touch screen
                    IGuidance
                    dual optimas
                    battery isolator
                    15" screen
                    My Truck

Comment

RPMs would be a good way to change volume if you have lots of engine noise. Now speed from GPS is a good idea, but we'd have to remember the original volume also.
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I'm sure I remember someone building a device that used a microphone to do this, and I believe he also 'subtracted' the audio output from the sound in the same way that noise cancelling headphones work.

Sounds too complicated for me, but I'd add it if someone else designed it!
                        ....Yes, I know it has a stupid name, those crazy Japanese!

Comment

Originally posted by bbrother
                          That big of a change in volume would be annoying and sound wierd you would have to make much smaller changes i think.
                          Of course... those were just example values. A final program would also allow the user to adjust sensitivity.

Originally posted by bbrother
                          rpm def. wouldnt work, every time you shif the volume would drop and it would just not work. At least that's my opinion.
                          Agreed

Originally posted by 0l33l
                          RPMs would be a good way to change volume if you have lots of engine noise.
                          Maybe if the RPM sensor had a "damper" on it. If a sudden change in rpm was sensed, it would wait X amount of seconds to change the volume. Every car would be different, so I am assuming that a program would need a big INI file and require the user to experiment with settings.

Now speed from GPS is a good idea.
                          I would prefer a direct interface to the car's computer using OBD. No down time if you have a crappy GPS.

Originally posted by n8scstm
                          Chevy's have been doing this for 15 years now. This is nothing new.
                          Yea.. wow.. um.. does your PC do it?

This isn't the "stock chevy head-unit" forum...
                          Bruno Speech Recognition - Advanced Speech Recognition designed to control any program. Extra support for FrodoPlayer and Winamp.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDaMonkMan
                            I would prefer a direct interface to the car's computer using OBD. No down time if you have a crappy GPS.
                            Don't have a crappy GPS
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Don't have a crappy GPS
                              haha, well... it does take the gps a minute or two to lock in. Wouldn't you rather have this feature running immediately?

Comment

Working...
                              X