USB drive Array?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB drive Array?

Is there a way to combine several USB flash drives (keychain type) to appear as a single drive?

Umm... a USB keychain array I guess? Or am I looking at having X,Y,Z drives?
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

EBFoxbat, I have not heard of that, theoreticly I do not see why it can't be done. I think the easiest way to do it is using SW RAID. If you want speed, use RAID 0, if you want redundancy, use RAID 5. SW RAID is only available in Windows 2000/2003 Server or almost any distribution of Linux.
    Can any one in the forum expand on this or give more specifics?
    Ford Expedition XLT 2003
    My Work Log
    Progress 40%

Comment

Originally posted by jarubio
      SW RAID is only available in Windows 2000/2003 Server or almost any distribution of Linux.
      Ironic because I am contemplating doing this for my xbox, which would run Linux. Can SW RAID run ruickly enough?
      ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
        Ironic because I am contemplating doing this for my xbox, which would run Linux. Can SW RAID run ruickly enough?
        I'm running software RAID 1 on several servers I admin, one is a CL10000-based system and the other is an M10000-based system and they both work just fine

(BTW, this is truly a spiffy case )

*UPDATE*

Here's a great document on software RAID in Linux: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
        System status: in progress

Comment

What did you want to do? Boot off the xbox hard drive, then mount a raid array of USB keys? May I ask why do you want to do this? Sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by starfox
            May I ask why do you want to do this? Sounds interesting.

I've decided that I'm going to put Linux on my xbox and run it as my car pc. I'm doing this because I'm out of money and I never use my xbox. I plan on using a 14.1" LCD and using a small keyboard and mouse.

I've been thinking about the possibiliy of putting all my mp3s on flash media. I only have 5 gb or so. Since I could RAID it as say M drive, it would be an entirely read-only drive, thus would work fine. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about tempature hard drive issues.

Can I use a IDE compact flash drive in my xbox instead of a HDD through ?
            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
              I've decided that I'm going to put Linux on my xbox and run it as my car pc. I'm doing this because I'm out of money and I never use my xbox. I plan on using a 14.1" LCD and using a small keyboard and mouse.

I've been thinking about the possibiliy of putting all my mp3s on flash media. I only have 5 gb or so. Since I could RAID it as say M drive, it would be an entirely read-only drive, thus would work fine. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about tempature hard drive issues.

Can I use a IDE compact flash drive in my xbox instead of a HDD through ?
              EBFoxbat, when you create your array, make sure to label your USB drives, if by any chance you mix them up, you will loose the information on them.

Theoretically, you should be able to run IDE compact flash on the Xbox. The Xbox is an X86 system, but I know that Microsoft did some changes, you may still have to mod it.
              Ford Expedition XLT 2003
              My Work Log
              Progress 40%

Comment

I have a mod chip on the way, this should prevent the need to lock the hard drive.
                ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Let me know if you see any speed boost from this. With out doing the math on this I'm guess that at some point the speed gain (if any) from puting usb drives in a raid array would eventualy come to the point ware adding more drives wouldent increse speed any more. Agine not sure how many drives it would take before this happened but I would take a stab at a low number (3-5 drives).

Comment

USB 2.0 drives through a USB 2.0 Hub, through a USB 2.0 motherboard bus would probabaly yield good performance.

I would only write to them in large blocks, while transfering audio once a month or so.

I think I'm going to do this with Linux on an xbox. It would all be USB 1 but should still be fine. xBox only supports ATA33 so an ATA-to-compact flash adapter might not give good performance. I'm not sure what to do.
                    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Finally, a chance to contribute!

Howdy, all. Thought I'd take this chance to de-virginize myself with the mp3car forums, and get my $0.02 in to boot.

I've run sw RAID 1 and 5 arrays (separately) on Linux, and writes with RAID 1 are definitely slower, but reads faster, than a single drive on the same interface would be. Can't speak to a performance increase/loss with RAID 5 - just hadn't paid much attention.

I'm in the process of gathering equipment for my car computer (refuse to call it an mp3 box, since I left mp3s behind long ago), and plan to include a RAID 5 array (sw RAID on Debian GNU/Linux, natch) of 3x300 or 400 GB drives, whichever is more cost-effective when I get around to purchasing them. PATA connected through USB 2.0 to the computer. Overkill? Perhaps; but I've been collecting digital audio since '98, and I like to have it all on hand for when I just *have* to hear that one song.

FWIW, after an awful incident with hardware RAID, I don't think I'll ever trust it again.
                      Software RAID on a decent OS + fast bus + fast CPU = the way to go.

Best of luck to all of you ditching Windoze - you won't regret it!

Comment

Working...
                      X