Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What software should I run? This is giving me a headache...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What software should I run? This is giving me a headache...

This is definitely the hardest decision when building a carputer, in my opinion. I have WinXP Pro SP2, WinXP Media Center 2005, and Linux to choose from. Do all front ends run on WinXP? I wonder why there isn't an FAQ on this stuff? My goal is to run a stable and fast system, with a drop dead sexy interface.

No bloated buttons, crazy colors, anything like that. I also need to read up on minimizing system resources, but that's another story. Whatever I do, it needs to accomodate the usual: GPS, WiFi, MP3, VCD, DVD, OBD-II, Computer diagnostics (temps, hd space, volts), etc
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanklsc

Good luck getting all of those things to run in linux without custom software. I'm possitive that the most popular frontends will run in XP SP2.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Dude, just pick one. Try it. If you don't like it, try something else.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

I guess you suggest Frodo Player anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey
          I guess you suggest Frodo Player anyways
          I try not to. I like to be objective. They all have their advantages.
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

And the only way to find out advantages/disadvantages is to try them yourself, right? No write-ups on this subject exist or anything?

Comment

Go through some of the threads in each of the forums to get an idea of what each frontend has to offer and what some of their shortcomings are. Most people tend to stick to the first frontend they try, because they read many of the threads and see what they can put up with and what they can't when it comes to a particular application.

Even then, when someone spends a lot of time working to get the many different applications to work with their initial choice, I doubt that they would try another frontend unless a choice application weren't supported by said frontend. Then again, the user would've read the many threads and would've seen what works and what doesn't with that particular frontend from the start. Am I repeating myself? I'm confused. :-)

Comment

BTW: I thought I had seen a poll asking people what frontend they were running. If there isn't one, can we get one up? Frodo?

Comment

Originally posted by DRWeside
                  BTW: I thought I had seen a poll asking people what frontend they were running. If there isn't one, can we get one up? Frodo?
                  There have been plents of threads where people have asked what front end is the best, what their features are etc... There is a sticky in the software forum that gives info on each piece of software. Just read and try them all.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

This helps. I overlooked it at first.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14840

Comment

0l330 -

Good luck getting all of those things to run in linux without custom software.
                      What do you mean by "custom software"?

Last time I checked, XP "SP2" didn't natively support all of the things that you mentioned.

I hope I'm not being suckered into flamebait here, however, our UI can be user accesible in less than 3 seconds (on our hardware; we're not x86, we're embedded) and we have all of the functionality that you mentioned.

I will concede that the most popular front-ends run on XP, however, I can't help but think that the poster should be encouraged to do his/her homework before making a decision.

As Frodo mentioned earlier, each of the interfaces have their [respective] positives and negatives (personally, I'm a fan of Frodoplayer.)

So what exactly is "custom software"?
                      DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by cbergeron
                        0l330 -

What do you mean by "custom software"?

Last time I checked, XP "SP2" didn't natively support all of the things that you mentioned.

I hope I'm not being suckered into flamebait here, however, our UI can be user accesible in less than 3 seconds (on our hardware; we're not x86, we're embedded) and we have all of the functionality that you mentioned.

I will concede that the most popular front-ends run on XP, however, I can't help but think that the poster should be encouraged to do his/her homework before making a decision.

As Frodo mentioned earlier, each of the interfaces have their [respective] positives and negatives (personally, I'm a fan of Frodoplayer.)

So what exactly is "custom software"?
                        Custom software for like OBDII. Configuring everything is going to be a pain.
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

our UI can be user accesible in less than 3 seconds (on our hardware; we're not x86, we're embedded) and we have all of the functionality that you mentioned
                          Want to tell us more about your setup

As for the custom software can you run XP on an enbedded machine, isn't that what XPE is for (forgive my ignorance on this subject)

Also it sounds like you are boasting a little with the 3 second UI access. (correct me if i am wrong) No one but you mentioned boot times.
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

(on our hardware; we're not x86, we're embedded)
                            you will have to forgive my ignorance on the subject as well .. but isn't embedded not a processor architecture but more of a form factor? I happend to know of several x68 sbcs that come in pc/104 and etx flavours. please do clarify your setup ... if you did do something like pc104 that would be pretty cool
                            don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

Working...
                            X