GPS Software that can do directions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Software that can do directions?

Okay, while I am listening to MP3's in my car, I also like to run GPS software. Problem is I can't find any software that can do directions well.

Has anyone tried the new Travroute CoPilot 2001? I have the older CoPilot 1.0, and I hate it, and Travroute won't answer my emails about upgrading my software from 1.0 to 2001.

I also have Street Atlas 8.0 Road Warrior Edition. When it's not crashing Windows, I wasn't that impressed with it (guess I shouldn't expect much for $30 dollars).

Are there any other GPS programs that can do turn-by-turn directions? I'm currently using Street Atlas 8 for a "moving map" program.

I assume you know that Street Atlas has both verbal and on screen directions.

I agree there are a lot of things wrong with RWE, but the directions are very legible even on a small screen.

------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/mr_bubba_zanetti/
    current projects

Comment

I'm pretty sure MS Streets and Trips 2001 can do it.
      Its good software
      Check it out

Comment

weston, I am sure for car stuff, u don't need all the bells and wistles. Damn it is hard enough trying to keep ur eyes on the road not alone looking at the screen for the directions. BTW, MS streets & Trip is prolly one of the best GPS app out there. RWE is crap in my opinion. Just look at how long it takes to load up the app.

------------------
        abcd-1
        Author of CobraI and CobraII.
        For more information on the COBRA Application's please visit the link. For the latest or updated info on CobraII please click on the link. Get new updated files for CobraII here. ftp://pictures[email protected]/d:/newdlls
        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is Cenwesi
        Webpage comming soon!
        abcd-1
        Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I agree that Street&Trip has more options for setup, and display.

I am not sure if it has directions, in the manner that RWE does, on the display it shows the next turn and distance etc in big letters, also you can hear a verbal description of the upcoming turn.
          current projects

Comment

I also have Streets&Trips 2001, but it won't see my GPS receiver (which is plugged into a USB-to-Serial adapter). As far as I can tell, it won't do turn-by-turn navigation.

When I could get RWE to run, I didn't like the tiny arrow in the corner of the screen. It's too hard to see. Also, the voice in Street Atlas is too quiet. You can barely hear it.

cenwesi, yes, I agree, the screen can be distracting when driving. I want a big giant arrow on the screen showing me where to turn, plus a voice that you can hear. Have you ever rented a Hertz rent-a-car with the Neverlost GPS? I want something something similiar.

As far as I can see for GPS in the U.S., TravRoute's CoPilot 2001 might be decent, and then Alpine's new DVD-based GPS system looks good (but at $2000 that's too much money). Otherwise you have to get something like a BMW X-5 or Acuca MDX to get decent GPS.

Comment

I asked the Delorme folks about the voice...the support folks told me that because they are generating the voice and not playing a wave file, it cannot be any louder...

Somehow I have a hard time believing that.
              current projects

Comment

I have used one product with great success-
                Its called Skymap 2000 By Etak. Etak was previously a division of Sony, and sold the product under the sony name, but they branched off and are on there own.

anyway, I have tried at all the other map products and I *LOVE* this one. it has all the best features of all those programs.
                it does turn by turn directions. it will respond to a list of voice commands, and requires no vocal training.

My only complaint is : the program uses the wave out chanel of the sound card. this means you cannot play an mp3 and listen to gps directions at the same time. you must ethere pause the mp3 player , or turn off the voice responce in the GPS software. This might be overcome by adding another sound card to the system. I dont know if ethere program ( gps or winamp ) will attempt to use the next availbel wave device if the first one is in use. hum....

The Skymap product is propriatary (s/p), in that the software will run, but will not give voice responce or gps functions unless hooked up to a skymap GPS unit. Its not a big deal if this is your first purchase, but if you allready have gps revciever, it wont work with the skymap software....

Etak is still selling its hardware and software combo pack for around 150.00 ( software and gps reciever) I recomend the PCMCIA version - it has the ability to switch from the propriatary Skymap signal to the NMEA 0183 Std. for GPS signaling. ( so it could work with other software)

If you want more info check my site, or e-mail me, Im hapy to give further details

http://www.hjnetworks.com/car/gps.htm
                Gizmo-
                Techonlogy on Wheels
                http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

gizmomkr,

That GPS system sounds kind of neat from the feature descriptions you gave, but some screenshots would be VERY useful.

-Matt
                  Public PGP key available on http://keyserver.pgp.com/pks/lookup?...@MyRealBox.com

Comment

I could take a screne shot, but thats just going to show you a map... maby the instrament panel, - I guess I could take some. I would think responding to a specific question would be a lot more helpfull, afterall, the best part of the thing is the voice interaction... thats hard to get a a screne shot of.

[This message has been edited by gizmomkr (edited 01-11-2001).]
                    Gizmo-
                    Techonlogy on Wheels

Comment

Some notes about moving map displays.

First it has to be right in front of the driver, just below the windshield sight line so that you can keep your eyes on the road.

Also it has to be about 5.5" or larger, otherwise everything is too small, or you can't see any detail.

There must be a button or scroll wheel you can use to change the zoom. (or automatic) when you are flying down the interstate, you want to zoom out to see what is coming, when you are in the city you want to zoom in to see the individual streets.

You need to mount the screen behind some dark glass, so at night you can turn the brighness all the way down. With out it, even full down is brighter than the instrument lights (very distracting)...and you need a handy brighness control.

I am playing with a 4" display because it was cheap, and long term will not work.

------------------
                      current projects

Comment

gizmomkr,

If you want to be able to have sound from different wave sources at the same time, an SB Live will do that.

Comment

Really !? , wow I never tried it. I have a cheapo sound card in the system right now, but I have a SB-live in my "parts pile" I didnt realize it had the ability to do multiple wave decodings.
                          I know is has lots of inputs, but I didnt think it could handel multiple wave-tables.

your saying I could run ( for example) 2 instances of winamp at the same time, both decoding mp3's....? hummm.
                          Gizmo-
                          Techonlogy on Wheels

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">your saying I could run ( for example) 2 instances of winamp at the same time, both decoding mp3's....? hummm.</font>
                            Yep. I've accidentally had both Winamp and Napster's internal player running at the same time before. It worked quite well, though of course mixing too songs together doesn't sound very good<g>.

Comment

That could solve the voicenav volume problem of RWE.

------------------
                              current projects

Comment

Working...
                              X