windows xp tablet pc edition on car computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows xp tablet pc edition on car computer

does anyone run windows xp tablet pc edition on there car computer. i got a copy of it the other day and was wondering if any one has used it yet?
    PROJECT LEXUS ES300

I have a tablet and I dont really see use for it in car... I tried using tablet in the car and it is very hard unless you are very still and not trembling at all...

I'd compare to taking notes in the car, definitely not something you wanna do when driving.

I dont see any gains from use TabPC Edition...
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I use Tablet PC overtop of XP .. It has voice and handwriting. It doesn't take anything away from XP, just adds to it. One feature is a button on the startbar for the keyboard (on-screen) that also can toggle between the voice recognition and handwriting...

unfortunately you can't ( as far as I know ) use Tablet PC ontop of Windows Media Center 2005...

Comment

i thought tablet xp for pc was a striped down xp ment to run on a tablet pc. this way it would boot faster and shutdown faster because most of the crap was striped out

am i wrong?
        PROJECT LEXUS ES300

Comment

Tablet PC is XP with Added functionality... It's a full XP OS with added voice and handwriting features... so its probably not that useful in a car PC... CP media edition would be something to look at tho.
          Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
          Via EPIA MII
          512MB RAM
          OEM GPS (embedded)
          nLite WinXP pro on
          1GB Extreme III CF card
          Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
          Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Does anyone know if tablet edition will accept a standard touch screen as a pen input device for handwriting recognition? I have a copy and am contemplating installing it. I have used the handwriting recognition in vista with a wacom and it's awesome.
            My BMW E46 carpc
            My iGuidance 4 skin
            FS transflective 2008 lilliput

Comment

Originally posted by kelmk View Post
              Does anyone know if tablet edition will accept a standard touch screen as a pen input device for handwriting recognition? I have a copy and am contemplating installing it. I have used the handwriting recognition in vista with a wacom and it's awesome.
              Vista handwriting recognition is much improved in Vista over XP.

I have been using tablet PCs for 3 to 4 years now with XP and Vista.

Anyways, yes it will work. A touchscreen is just a left click, and when you press with the stylus it is essentially a left click. Just like in MS Paint you can draw with a regular mouse if you wanted too.

Only thing you cant do is hovering. So the input bar that docks itself in Vista, you hover over it and it sticks out a bit, click it and it flies out. No hover means no sticking out a bit, you would have to double click it. Little things like that.

But I dont think you will get any use in the car because handwriting is not like on a Palm device where you can just write across the screen. Vista and XP require you to write in the little area.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Maybe I'll stick with my current solution which is using Stroke it. I set up gestures for every letter, space, back and enter. I can draw anywhere on the screen and it will type that letter and show a short OSD of that letter. Works pretty well but true handwriting recognition would work better. Stroke it needs you to draw the letters in a very specific way to work.

I remember is vista the cool dots thats it draws on the screen when you press anywhere kind of like a ripple. I wonder if there is something for xp like that.
                My BMW E46 carpc
                My iGuidance 4 skin
                FS transflective 2008 lilliput

Comment

Originally posted by kelmk View Post
                  Maybe I'll stick with my current solution which is using Stroke it. I set up gestures for every letter, space, back and enter. I can draw anywhere on the screen and it will type that letter and show a short OSD of that letter. Works pretty well but true handwriting recognition would work better. Stroke it needs you to draw the letters in a very specific way to work.

I remember is vista the cool dots thats it draws on the screen when you press anywhere kind of like a ripple. I wonder if there is something for xp like that.
                  yes vista has the cool ripple effect but only with the digitizer. You wont be able to get that on a regular touchscreen.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                  X