Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which OS, and which Navi Program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which OS, and which Navi Program

    Hello All,

    Well, the new GF saw my navi system, and of course, she now regrets not buying the Navi with her new car.

    I want to correct that. The dealer wants about 1,500.00, plus installation (which they say I CAN NOT do, little to they know)

    I am looking for an option for her. It needs to be rock solid, no crashing please, but it ONLY needs to do Navigation. No MP3, no gaming, no movies, nothing. Something with short boot times is prefered. It needs to just open into the navigation program.

    Also, the Navi needs to be similar to mine (I have the Lexus Navi) So she can input addresses on screen.

    Perhaps Windows CE, or, does someone have any other ideas. (while I can install almost anything, my OS knowledge isn't the greatest, any help is appreciated)

    Thanx for the help,
    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Wiredwrx
    It needs to be rock solid, no crashing please, but it ONLY needs to do Navigation. No MP3, no gaming, no movies, nothing. Something with short boot times is prefered. It needs to just open into the navigation program.
    In that case... don't bother with a carputer.
    Get the navigation system they offered you, or get a navigation head unit such as this one http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/produ...nomy_id=25-111

    /M

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Maximus
      In that case... don't bother with a carputer.
      Get the navigation system they offered you, or get a navigation head unit such as this one http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/produ...nomy_id=25-111

      /M
      Thanx for the advice, but there is no place to put the AVIC. The car has an indash 6 disc, XM satelite, blah balh blah radio, which she will never give up. Just below that, is the perfect spot for the touch screen I ALREADY OWN. The computer part will be much cheaper then 1500 bucks, and on top of that, she will be eternally gratefull to me for hooking her up, which, as you might guess, means I get hooked up .

      But, if you have any ideas on the OS and SW to use, I would appreciate that.

      Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

      Comment


      • #4
        windows is the only os that has decent nav, search and ye shall find many.

        Your much better off getting a garmin or a tom tom though if your only doing nav.
        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

        Comment


        • #5
          You could use a pocket pc as the computer and run Iguidance as the nav software. Then get a 7" or 8" touch screen and connect it to the pocket pc. That has very quick boot times.
          2.4 celeron
          150 watt OPUS
          micro atx
          xp pro
          tv/radio tuner card
          audigy
          Dual monitor Radeon
          802.11G Mimo
          xm pcr
          dvd
          gps
          8" Lilliput touch screen
          IGuidance
          dual optimas
          battery isolator
          15" screen
          My Truck

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by n8scstm
            You could use a pocket pc as the computer and run Iguidance as the nav software. Then get a 7" or 8" touch screen and connect it to the pocket pc. That has very quick boot times.
            Interesting Idea.

            Do you know of any Pocket PCs with VGA provisions? USB or Serial Touch Screen provisions?

            Thanx
            Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Short and simple. Go back to the dealer and paid them 2K to put it on. It will be warrantee along with the car (Factory part and installed by dealer).
              CarPC optionP:
              - It will never be a crash free.
              - More headache to you when thing doesn't work right.
              - Not really cheaper than the dealer option when you have to buy all the parts.
              - Countless number of hrs to get to the point that she will hug and kiss you.
              - Trouble dealing with dealer for warrantee work on car when electrical problem comes.
              - Thief magnet.

              Aftermarket Nav option:
              - Cost about the same as dealer option.
              - Too much bell and whistle she doesn't want.
              - Thief magnet.

              Aftermarket Nav only/ PDA base option
              - Simple to install
              - Cheap
              - Limited map coverage (have to reload map for different area).
              - Not soo cool

              Now scratch your head and figure.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MatrixPC
                Short and simple. Go back to the dealer and paid them 2K to put it on. It will be warrantee along with the car (Factory part and installed by dealer).
                CarPC optionP:
                - It will never be a crash free.
                - More headache to you when thing doesn't work right.
                - Not really cheaper than the dealer option when you have to buy all the parts.
                - Countless number of hrs to get to the point that she will hug and kiss you.
                - Trouble dealing with dealer for warrantee work on car when electrical problem comes.
                - Thief magnet.

                Aftermarket Nav option:
                - Cost about the same as dealer option.
                - Too much bell and whistle she doesn't want.
                - Thief magnet.

                Aftermarket Nav only/ PDA base option
                - Simple to install
                - Cheap
                - Limited map coverage (have to reload map for different area).
                - Not soo cool

                Now scratch your head and figure.
                Thanx for the response.

                Here is the thing, I have made up my mind to do it, but thanx for your take on the different choices.

                I am not looking for Crash Proof. Hell, even my Lexus NAV hiccups every so often. Also, with only doing Navigation, I don't really have to worry about shutdown, and running extra programs, or services. So, should be fairly stable.

                True, could be more headaches, but chances are, if the relationship lasts, anything car related will be my headache anyway.

                I already own the screen, and computers with enough power to run windows and a navigation program are inexpensive. No need for DVD drives, BT, special Graphics cards, blah blah blah.

                Well, I get the hugs and kisses already, but you know how they get when you do something nice for them.

                Not too worried about that. Nothing to eff up with power and ground, and then a screen run to the front. No worse then installing a stereo in a car. In fact, the carputer doesn't even touch or interact with the car as much as a stereo does.

                And of course, if I do the install, I can utilize the already existing cover over the area I plan to do the install, while the OEM Navigation remains a screen in the middle of the dash, surely it is an equal thief magnet, if not more of one.

                Ya, I though the stuff through. As I said, I have decided what I want to try, just need some advice on the OS and program to use.

                I think I am at the point of Windows XP, with hibernation mode, and Routis or something similar, since the Routis interface seems to be very similar to the Lexus interface I use.

                If anyone has any other advice, please don't hesitate to share.

                Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think you can get an add on for pocket pc's that allow you to hook up another monitor. As far as having to load maps for each area, if you get a 512 mb card, I believe you could load entire states. Probably mulitple at once.
                  2.4 celeron
                  150 watt OPUS
                  micro atx
                  xp pro
                  tv/radio tuner card
                  audigy
                  Dual monitor Radeon
                  802.11G Mimo
                  xm pcr
                  dvd
                  gps
                  8" Lilliput touch screen
                  IGuidance
                  dual optimas
                  battery isolator
                  15" screen
                  My Truck

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I recently installed a system for my father in his truck... similar situation to yours, he only wanted Navigation.

                    I ended up buying a laptop with a cracked screen (very cheap) and connecting it up to a 7" touchscreen.
                    I am running Windows 2000 pro (it was what I had) and
                    two navigation programs... iGuidance and delorme Street Altas 2003.

                    I like iGuidance for its navigation, but I use Street Atlas for its POI list.

                    One thing to consider is how to get sound for the voice navigation (if you want it) since you will not be playing mp3's etc. I would suggest a small set of powered speakers (radio shack has a set that are battery powered for $20).

                    Total cost ~ $350

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X