Plot Location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot Location

Is there any software that can track your location based on a GPS's output and post it to a site via a wireless internet connection?

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2001 can output your current displayed map to HTML format.. You could have a macro to continuously do this and then ftp it to a web site..
    MP3 Cavalier - http://www.mp3cavalier.com
    MP3 Grand Prix - http://www.mp3gp.com

Comment

In response to my own post from February, I couldn’t find any thing that did what I was looking for so I wrote one myself. I’m not much of a programmer, but I just played around with it when I was bored every now and again.

What I wanted was to be able to track the location of my car and be able to plot it on a map in real time and my app does just that. I don’t really have a purpose, for wanting to do this, I just thought it would be cool to be able to.

You can view a demo of the offline screen at www.whereismycar.org

Right now I am working to make it capable of supporting multiple users.

Here’s how my system works:

1. GPS giving off NMEA sentences
      2. My VB app that interprets NMEA sentences and then posts to a SQL server over a wireless Internet connection (I use my cell phone, 9600 bps)
      3. SQL server storing data received
      4. Retrieved using an .asp script on web server, which gets data from SQL server
      5. User can then see then see location and map it, in addition to getting, speed, direction, altitude, etc.

Comment

That is the coolest thing I have seen this week...if not this month...

I have to know more...much more...
        current projects

Comment

Thanks, lets hope MapQuest doesn’t get to upset with me for jacking their maps.

My objective with is it to make a homebrew answer to services such as GM's OnStar.

Right know all it does it track your location and post it to that site using the “get” method of submitting a form. I am thinking about making more of a dedicated server that would allow the implementation of more features, other then just location tracking. A few possible features include:

Front end – If you like me, you probably don’t want everyone on the Internet to know exactly where you are at all times. I am thinking customizable logins that allow friends and family access to sensitive information, such as your exact location, meanwhile giving you the option to make as much information pubic as you are comfortable with.

Remote door unlock – Would require computer to be on and Internet connection to be active, probably not feasible at this time.

“Cop Tracker” - My idea of a network that when you see a cop shooting radar, in addition to flashing your lights to motorists, you put a flag in the database. That way when other people get close to that area where a cop was spotted it warns them; entries expire after one hour unless more people flag the same area.

Obviously, all of this requires a pretty much dedicated wireless internet connection. I don’t expect very many people to have wireless Internet connections in their car, but in the number is increasing daily and I just want to have something available for those that have it.

Comment

wireless internet is kinda hard for most people to get...specially bc ricochet went downhill...
            I have tinytrak ii hooked up to my gps but haven't had the time to implement it as a tracking device yet.
            With a spare cellphone it's all just a matter of setting up the software and the modem at home to dial the cellphone, translate data from tinytrak and display on a website your position.
            04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

I think is the best wireless Internet solution now is Verizon’s Mobile IP. For as low as $39.00 per month you get a dedicated mobile Internet device with unlimited usage in your home area. I big downside it that it’s only 9600 k/sec Read more about it here:
              http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobil...ess/index.html

Eventually I want to get that, but for right now I use the data cable hooked up to my Nextel phone when I occasionally use it.

Comment

are you charged extra by your cellphone service provider for using your cellphone to connect to a dial-up? I have Cingular and they told me there is a $5 month for data access or whatever...i think it's a bunch of crap..
                04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Yes, with Nextel it's an extra $10 per month for the optional Online Plus package. In addition you use airtime minutes when you use the dial up Internet.

Comment

Working...
                  X