WMP10 is having trouble with DVD's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMP10 is having trouble with DVD's

Before anyone starts...I have had the following three pieces of software installed (PowerDVD 6, WinDVD 6, nVidia DVD Decoder), uninstalled and reinstalled over the weekend. I have also reinstalled WMP10 a couple times - restarted my system everytime, but to no avail.

SOOOO, WMP10 actually recognizes that there are DVD decoders (and for some reason errors out with PowerDVD installed) installed, but when I press the play button, all I get is a black screen and the information bar says playing and I see the DVD light blinking. BUT - I get no picture on the screen - just a black screen with the letter "D" in the upper left corner of the screen. WMP10 can't figure out it's a DVD in the drive. I've tried two different DVD's and the problem hasn't changed. Funny thing is, I could play DVD's perfectly well in any of the installed programs listed above.

The only other ideas I could think of is the video driver needs an update or the DVD drive (an old slimline hooked up via USB 2.0) is not compatible with WMP10. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-HD

Have you had any of the above installed at the same time ?
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

Yes, I did. At one point, I had all 3 programs installed together. Than I thought that all 3 installed at the same time were screwing up WMP. So, I uninstalled everything including WMP and reinstalled WMP. I than installed one program at a time to see if that was the issue - any single program would not allow me to view the DVD in WMP.

-HD

Comment

Interesting.
        Got a copy of graphedit ?
        Maybe you can connect to the running graph and see what's going on.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

hmm....no, but i could download it. i'll look into it a little later tonight. I'm wondeirng what the program does, but ill take your recommendation.

-HD

Comment

Okay, I'm having great progress. Couldn't figure out graphedit, but some more googling brought up a program called Radlight Filter Manager. With this program, you could see exactly every filter attached to DirectX. I unregistered (uninstalled) all the 3rd party filters in the DirectShow category and reinstalled nVidia's decoder. It works great except that I don't get a picture now. The DVD functionality seems to be working - it reads the disc correctly and shows the various chapters in the right hand pane, but I can't get a picture...

I'm assuming this has something to do with the codecs so I will keep working at it.

-HD

Comment

I had a problem with the SDK WMP9 & 10. Depending on the situation, the media player wouldnt properly recognize the DVD in the drive.. I spent soo many hours trying to figure out why it was doing what it was doing.

I even tested the case in the DVD code MS gives, and it actually did the same thing my software did. It almost was how you describbed... I came to the conclusion that it must be something to do with my CODEC, WMP and my DVD drive...
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Try this. Click start download. Run the .exe. Then set one of the decoders to preferred.
                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...n&Hash=43G9DYB
                2.4 celeron
                150 watt OPUS
                micro atx
                xp pro
                tv/radio tuner card
                audigy
                Dual monitor Radeon
                802.11G Mimo
                xm pcr
                dvd
                gps
                8" Lilliput touch screen
                IGuidance
                dual optimas
                battery isolator
                15" screen
                My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                  Try this. Click start download. Run the .exe. Then set one of the decoders to preferred.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...n&Hash=43G9DYB
                  Great suggestion! I tried, everything seems to be in order, but I still get no picture. Thanks!

-HD

Comment

Problem fixed! Thanks for all the help guys! Once I installed the VIA Hyperion drivers, the DVD player started working. Also, just to let everyone know - PowerDVD was conflicting with my TV card driver (Leadtek WinFast 2000 drivers).

-HD

Comment

Working...
                    X