Want to make my own frontend.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to make my own frontend.

Still pretty new to these forums, but deffinantly loving them, and the carputer scene in general. Hope you guys can help me out here. Ive checked out all of the front-ends out there, really great peaces of work, very impressive. I would just like to give programming my own front-end a try, who knows might end up being a nice addition to the list here. Ive been programming for a few years know and know multiple languages. Just need help on a few things here. Mainly embedding, any good howto's/references out there? What language did you guys write your front-ends in, looks like most are VB? Im looking to do mine in java right now to possibly have multi-platform support. Also, this is question is directed towards the creator of RoadRunner; how did you control winamp like that? Would really like to do something similar. Any help you guys would be willing to give would be GREATLY appreciated. Again, nothing against your guys' work, I'm just a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Hell.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

HAHAHA, after doing assembly language, this is far from hell... Im ready for the challenege. :-)

Comment

Agreeing with frodo.. welcome to ... HELL

Years of designing and re-adjusting... hours upon hours of programming..
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Find you a catchy tune that you can listen to over and over to keep you sane.
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

So far, not so bad

UPDATE: So far not so much luck with java. Found some things to look into, but nothing solid. With VB .NET though, thanks to this post http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180297 I am able to control the winamp client via my VB program. Not exactly what I was looking for, but either way it gives a good deal of hope. Havent looked into embedding windows yet, still going to try and get winamp to work with a java program. Anyway any help with java or embeding in general would be helpful. Thanks Again!

Comment

Java ia bloated if your using a front end with windows... Vb.net or AB 6 is the way to go...

Frodo.. seriously... your quote find a song that you enjoy .. is so true !
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

ive been slowly building a front end with java recently; its difficult, but it can be done
                Mozilla Search Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Shortman
                  UPDATE: So far not so much luck with java. Found some things to look into, but nothing solid. With VB .NET though, thanks to this post http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180297 I am able to control the winamp client via my VB program. Not exactly what I was looking for, but either way it gives a good deal of hope. Havent looked into embedding windows yet, still going to try and get winamp to work with a java program. Anyway any help with java or embeding in general would be helpful. Thanks Again!
                  you're probably going to have to use a Java Native Interface if you wanna be able to screw around with winamp. That's why I'm trying to find a suitable audio lib in java so that it will still be cross platform.
                  Mozilla Search Plugin

Comment

Yeah, i agree VB is probably the better approach. I have experience in both VB and Java. I just feel a lot more comfortable in java. Ill keep you guys updated with any findings

Comment

Here is my 0.02...

If you want it to run on just windows and get up and running quick, use VB. There are a lot of libraries and code snippets in VB that can be used...

If you want it to be cross platform, then you should look into Mono. You can use Java and C# to write your apps and have them work on not just other OS'es, but also other platforms (i.e. PPC, x86).

You should also think of writing an abstracted media system where you can plug other systems in as backends. This would give you more flexibility over control. Building it on something like Winamp or WMP will limit you to the features exposed by those applications.

Hope this helps
                      Ben S. Stahlhood II
                      Hybrid Mobile
                      MMC/Transcend Developer
                      --------------------------------------
                      http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/
                      http://www.cocoamachine.com/
                      http://weblogs.asp.net/bstahlhood/

Comment

Originally posted by Shortman
                        HAHAHA, after doing assembly language, this is far from hell... Im ready for the challenege. :-)
                        Try doing assembly language on an IBM/370 system on a nearly dead platform for it....

It is truely a Yakov Smirnofv situation (in soviet russia....)
                        steven n

95 Saturn SC1
                        Alpine 9831 + Blaupunkt SR04
                        Stereo Integrity 327 Comps + MTX 4244
                        Resonant Engineering XXX 18 D2 + Elemental Designs Nine.1 + 7.5ft^3 tuned to ~29Hz

Carputer Progress: Rethinking, box has consumed my trunk

Comment

Delphi is a good language

There is source available for a dlephi based frotnend already. You might want to build up on it.
                          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

UPDATE: I did my research with java, found a good JNI, and currently have partial functionality with my winamp via my java app. (next, previous, jump, etc.)
                            I am having trouble with most of the WM_USER commands, it seems the WM_COMMAND commands work fine. Any Info on this? Im using winamp 2.x do you have to have a newer version for full functionality? again, here is the list im goin by http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180297

Any input would help greatly, thanks again.

Comment

UPDATE: I sorted everything out with Window Messages, now have full functionality of winamp, not many complications in the future from what i can see, ill post some screenshots in a week or so when my interface is more developed.

The reason im so set on winamp is there is already so much support for it, text LCDs etc. that other apps will also work, and i wont have to build support for those also in with my prog, i realize this makes it windows only, and thats fine with me, it seems pretty much everyon here uses windows anyway. Regardless i see java as a great high level laguange for what im trying to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X