How do I make my PC boot faster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make my PC boot faster?

I was just at a party and we all went down to McDonalds and my computer didn't even boot by the time we got there! It takes about a minute to boot which isn't that bad, but I want the best! I know if I boot to DOS it will be a LOT faster or if I put in Linux. I've never even touched Linux so about the DOS. Can I still use Lorty's plugin? This MXPF or whatever sounds good, but I love lorty's plugin. Is there a DOS version of winamp? Seems like it would be a lot easier. Thanks.

-Kev

I would say "go for MPXPLAY and MPXF" if you want speed...
    My computer is a P75 and it boots in less than 20seconds..

Comment

links:

mpxplay
      mpxf

I use mpxplay and my own TSR (for 2x20 displays) and get a ten second boot, less time than it takes to start my car on most days.

Comment

But can I use Lorty's plugin with those? Or is MPXF the plugin?

Comment

mpxf is a front end for mpxplay, similar to a plugin. You can't use lorty's plugin anymore

Comment

WHAT DOES THESE DO EXACTALLY???
            MPXF AND MPX PLAY DO FOR YOUR CPU AND WHAT IS LORTY'S PLUG-IN SORRRY GUYS I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND I AM TRYING TO GET A SYSTEM STARTED, DO I NEED THOES???
            Nqu

Comment

Dude, you also need a capslock key!

MPXPlay is a DOS mp3 player, like winamp (sorta), but for dos.

MPXF is a front end for MPXPLAY, just like a plugin for winamp.

Lortys is a plug-in for winamp.

Go to the links that bgoodman posted, and check em out.

AND THAT KEY TO THE LEFT TO THE 'A' KEY ITS CALLED THE CAPSLOCK
              http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
              Australian mp3car Portal
              mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
              mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
              -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyBoy:
                <STRONG>I would say "go for MPXPLAY and MPXF" if you want speed...
                My computer is a P75 and it boots in less than 20seconds.. </STRONG>
                thats nothin special at all.....
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

hmm bootup time is depended on hardware. I souped up my msi 6215 with 128MB RAM PC133, 30 gigATA100 HD, 6X dvd, celeron 667mhz. I have on startup irassistant, mbm5, and winamp running like 4 plugins at once (winLCD, AVS, X-plugin), and from turning on the PC to the first song heard and all plugins loaded is exactly 40s.
                  Just upgrade to better hardware and your bootup should be faster
                  04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

it really makes me laugh when i hear ppl talk about boot time this and that...Do you guys REALLY think windows can't boot up in less than 20secs....
                    abcd-1
                    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

...Do you guys REALLY think windows can't boot up in less than 20secs....
                      Then please tell us how !
                      Otherwise it would sound like the story off the guy who has 5 tft-screens in the car, with 2 computers and stuff, but no pictures... (I know this story wasn't true, but I think you get my point)

Greetz
                      Raas - The Netherlands
                      ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                      GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Raas,

You forgot to mention that I have a screen in my steering wheel and as I turn the wheel the screen turns the opposite so that at all times its level, but still no pictures, j/k!
                        But anyway, dudah, it sounds like it takes more than a minute for you to boot. Im booting in about 50 sec using 98SE and it is booted by the time Im out of my apartment parking lot. Have you actually clocked its boot time? Have you applied all the tweaks for Bios as well as Windows? If you are looking for pure boot, then sure go with DOS but if you EVER intend to do more, stick with Windows, its not as bad as people like to think it is.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: grandamp3 ]
                        The Grand aMP3 Project
                        Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
                        Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

hihiihihihihihhhih.. lol...

Yeah man...
                          I made this cup-holder for my car..
                          It tilts and swivvels when I accelerate and brake the car, and while driving throug corners... (I watch to much pepsi-commercials.. )

Just to spoil nothing of the drink.. hahaha.
                          J/K

Greetz

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Raas ]
                          Raas - The Netherlands
                          ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                          GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

If your not poor like me, invest in a fast 5-700 meg scsi hd and your boot times will be cut in half. Then put all your non-os files on a dif hd..

Comment

22 secs for my p100 to boot.

I'm using DOS/MPXPLAY, thats with network drivers too. Oh and thats mapping 2 network drives (its in my lounge room till my ps arrives).

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: Vampyre ]

Comment

Working...
                              X