Reading CDRWs in Dos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading CDRWs in Dos

Hello all, does anyone know of a dos based prog that could load prior to mpxplay and allow cdrw readability?
    Or can anyone suggest a way to do this?
    --MPXplay 1.476 & MPXF 1.44 Home Player--
    P166/32mg/20gigMaxtor/awe64/s3/cd/20x4 LCD/keypad

That is usually a function of the drive itself. There is no patch or plugin to make a CD drive read diffrent types of media. Try using a newer CD-Rom.
    Monger
    ICQ-7207702
    UPDATE: I moved farther north. Now its even too cold for the deer; only moose now

Comment

no i know what he's talking about. i have a cdr i burned a really long time ago that works fine under windows, but when i try to access it in dos, all that's on it is a text file that says something about the MS Joliet filesystem. i'm guessing you just need to find a driver to load at boot.
      ghetto suitcase player: http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/nipkick

Comment

Personally I thought it was the drive, but I am probably wrong..

Comment

Maybe the file system type used

Comment

What version of DOS and MSCDEX are you using?

Comment

mscdex v.2.95 Dos is from win 98se so I'm pretty sure its 6+.

When using windows the adaptec udf reader takes care of reading a cdrw. But I'm running straight Dos, so what I'm thinking is I need is a way to load a dos program or driver that operates like the udf reader which could load prior to MPXF and allow MPXF/mpxplay to recognize the cdrw and the songs on it.

Comment

You guys just have to let DOS die....Please let it die...move up to windows or NT.
                abcd-1
                Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Charles, you must remember the people that run 486DX's and P100s Personally, although I run win2k....I think DOS is one of the best solutions for an mp3box Fast booting, fairly decent software support (MXPLAY), and very low sys requirements.
                  Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

Comment

pinkysqueaks: if ppl are going to put a 486/p100 in the car, then i strongly suggest they settle down with one of those mp3 player or what not built by those company. Personnaly DOS is dead and ppl should let it die gracefully. Take it from me and i will keep saying it. Dos will limit ur setup and i am NOT going to go into that area. Lets get real i mean if u are going to go through the headache of putting a PC in the car, do it right and so lateron down the road you dont start all over again.
                    abcd-1

Comment

Dos is Nasty and slow!

Comment

DOS rules! When the $hit hits the fan, you can always rely on DOS to get into the system, to get things up and running...

Hence, my online moniker... It refers to the "DOS for Dummies" book. I took slight offence to the title, as DOS has not only saved my bacon a few times, but I *really* don't consider myself a "dummy"

There you go ...and now you all know the meaning behind my username

~m
                        PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                        Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                        BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

I also run DOS on my MP3 box. My skill level is not high enough to create something like the Phatnoise box (which would work for me). Besides, I am having fun playing with it.

As far as Adpatec, I seem to recall seeing something on their website www.roxio.com in reference to using a DOS version of Easy CD Creator.
                          KG6OQD
                          www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

I have used windows 98lite with winamp, dfx, Lorty's plugin, audiostocker, Blackbird keypad, cdcontrol v1.25 and turtlebeach Montego for sound 97db signal to noise ratio. My problem with winamp is a) too many plugins and each not perfect,b) shutdown c) windows overhead and CPU usage leading to slow lcd d) you need fairly good components. Dos/Mpxplay/MPXF has most everything I need volume control, surround and keypad or remote control capability, playlists, lcd support etc., easy configuration and above all easy shutdown for other non computer users/family members using it. Even today I thought of going back to windows simply because my turtle beach has better sound than the SB16 (87db)but why? I bought all of my components, enough for a two players because I couldn't decide up front dos or win, in the end its dos and I will probably sell most of the excess stuff. I started because of the barebones 486 site and have now come full circle after spending some dollars and lots of time.
                            Thanks for the input all, mp3car.com has been a great friendly resource and continues to be so.

Comment

lol.....i will c how long u guys will hang in there. Just so u know, i know DOS in&out.... and batch files and all that stuff, i did like 5-9yrs ago and yes every now and then i do some DOS stuff on my box or this workstation.
                              abcd-1

Comment

Working...
                              X