need a proggy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a proggy

Hey, I think I have a somwhat unique dilemma and I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that can take care of it. I built my parents and MP3 player for their kitchen which reads MP3 off of a basement computer. I want to know if there is a program that can be run from either computer that can take the sub-directories of the artists and create them into playlists on the MP3 machine. Note: I know there are proggies that do this for the local machine but I need the MP3 player to be able to find the files across the network and its a pain doing this crap manually (my parents have about 7000 mp3s)

Thanks,

JustAGuy

Map a network drive?
    Then it would think it was just a local drive.
    1983 BMW 733i
    Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
    Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

I know if you are using Winamp you can just open a directory and not a playlist file. You can also make a shortcut and hotkeys for directories by creating a shortcut and putting in the target line:
      Code:
       "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" "the full path of the directory you want"
      That just tells Winamp to load that directory into the playlist. Personally I don't like playlist files because I am constantly adding files and it is a pain to update the playlists. You may be able to do this with other programs too.
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

maybe you could use this one.

Enables winamp to share mp3's over ms networks

Greetz

Raas
        Raas - The Netherlands
        ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
        GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Map a drive. You can also use the "subst" command and then run CobraII/III to present everything to them visually.
          abcd-1
          Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
          You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Originally posted by cenwesi:
            <STRONG>Map a drive. You can also use the "subst" command and then run CobraII/III to present everything to them visually.</STRONG>
            And then add a touch screen to their monitor so the setup dosen't need a mouse or keybard!
            That would be sweet!
            1983 BMW 733i
            Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
            Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Working a function for people with Touchscreen and those also that wants to use mouse.
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Alright, I guess I wasn't thinking or something. Im pretty sure that mapping the drive will work out just fine. Im sure my parents will be happy to know that we don't have to go through manually entering the over 500 individual artists they have MP3s of.

One last thing though: What is the best software for turning the sub-directories into playlists, I need one where I can select how deep it will go and whatnot.

Before cenwesi posts I know cobra will do it but I just want a program to do this one little task...not the unending plethora or tasks that cobra can handle. But I guess if that's the only one that can do it effectively then I will use that one.

- JustAGuy

Comment

Have you tried out Albumlist? It is a winamp plugin that recurses directories and subdirectories and creates playlists for each folder containing an mp3 or an m3u file. It has other nice features like being able to name based on id3 tags or folder names as well as being able to dock with winamp and use some winamp skins. I recommend it highly...I use nothing else anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X