Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Software to make an identical image?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Software to make an identical image?

I have two identical sized harddrive (both 3.5"). One has Windows, FP, and the goodies installed, working really nicely and PERFECTLY. While it hasn't been corrupted by Windows yet, I'd like to make a bit-for-bit copy of it onto my other blank hd. That way, I can have one hard drive with software that I know for sure works.

And freeware would be best

BTW...I have Drive Image 5.0, but from what I understand it can't make a bit-perfect copy of the first hard drive.

TIA

Norton Ghost But its not freeware
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Yeah...it's kinda the problem...I went looking for some software today and Norton Utilities was about $80 everywhere (I always thought it came free with new computers, can't believe they'd expect people to shell out that much). I would think that making an image of a hd is pretty easy stuff to do, but I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenerDiode
        Yeah...it's kinda the problem...I went looking for some software today and Norton Utilities was about $80 everywhere (I always thought it came free with new computers, can't believe they'd expect people to shell out that much). I would think that making an image of a hd is pretty easy stuff to do, but I guess not.
        Yeh. I bet someone will have some other suggestions.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

yeah norton ghost is great and so simple to use! you know, if you look around the net, you just might find it cough cough for free if you know where to look.

Comment

Go download knoppix, or any cd-based linux distro and follow these instructions.

http://www.okmoore.com/imagedrive.html
            MyMedia Website

Comment

trueimage has a free trial i believe and i know it will do what you are loking for.
              Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

I hate Ghost, It's killed my PC twice.
                I use Powerquest driveimage (find an old version before symatec bought them out)

Comment

Or just try to find nearest computer repair center, they could have HDD copy machine.

Comment

Have a look in the Image section on the utilities page at www.bootdisk.com

I have never used these but other stuff there has always worked out well. I use Ghost, I like the network boot disk creation, especially with a laptop. You have to be able to connect to some storage for your image to be saved.

Comment

I just Froogled Norton Utilities and got this for $2 http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...mode=googlegfr remember you probably don't need the latest and greatest. Ghost was great before Symantec even bought it.

Comment

mucho props for pointing the Knoppix method. worked perfectly!!!

kick ***.

also thanks on the Norton link...you're right, I don't need latest and greatest, this is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                        X