Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD Mp3 software

Hi all.

I would prefer to build my car mp3 player with a serial VFD / pushbutton interface. Simply because my insurance may class the always-on TFT as watching TV while driving, thus no accident cover.

Is there many programs out that will run a VFD, display songlists in it, etc??

LCDC... compatable with matrix orbital screens
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by bradrogers
      Hi all.

I would prefer to build my car mp3 player with a serial VFD / pushbutton interface. Simply because my insurance may class the always-on TFT as watching TV while driving, thus no accident cover.

Is there many programs out that will run a VFD, display songlists in it, etc??
      Wich insurance?
      BMW E36 Project [ ========= ]
      Hardware:
      Lilliput 7" Touchscreen - Epia M-10000 - HQCT 1.0 FM Radio - 2.5" 80Gb - USB GPS
      Software:
      FrodoPlayer 1.10 & MapMonkey with FriBruMet Skins by Frigor.

Comment

I would ask your insurance company what their policy is on the latest cars that come with Sat Nav as standard, because that is basically what you would be doing.

If they give you some bull answer, change insurance companies.

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
          I would ask your insurance company what their policy is on the latest cars that come with Sat Nav as standard, because that is basically what you would be doing.

If they give you some bull answer, change insurance companies.

Garry
          I agree...
          Also Have it wired into your handbrake to turn off video only. when the car is in motion frodo player does this currently
          Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
          www.aimee.cc

Comment

Am I missing something? Since when did insurance companies start doing inspections?

But I suppose it's worth pointing out that if you're using something illegal when you slam into a grey-hair on the interstate, your insurance company will not pay. Unless you have Johnny Cochrane as your lawyer...
            http://www.jeepmp3.com/
            CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
            Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
              Am I missing something? Since when did insurance companies start doing inspections?

But I suppose it's worth pointing out that if you're using something illegal when you slam into a grey-hair on the interstate, your insurance company will not pay. Unless you have Johnny Cochrane as your lawyer...
              I'm talking about when an insurance assessor asseses a wreck, susses out the wiring, and finds, that there is no video blanking switch attached to the handbrake. The insurance company could say that this is the cause of the accident, watching video in car, and hence, not pay out. Greedy bastards!

Comment

I'm talking about when an insurance assessor asseses a wreck, susses out the wiring, and finds, that there is no video blanking switch attached to the handbrake. The insurance company could say that this is the cause of the accident, watching video in car, and hence, not pay out. Greedy bastards!
                Ok... so if you're on a cell phone and they determine that that was the cause of the crash, they won't pay up? WTF?
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I wrote some software for the noritake 7000 vfd. It displays winamp info as well as some other stuff. Currently there is no suport for buttons to controll winamp with but it shouldent be to hard to hook some buttons to the parallel port and make some software to send the commands to winamp. Actualy my software can send commands to winamp but I'm not sure how to read the parallel port in vb6. Also note that if u get a noritake 7000 there realy is no software suport for it. I tryed a bunch of different software before finaly deciding the only way to get it working is to make my own. My software (VFD7000) is listed in the download section of HNet Inc. or if that link dosn't work try ww1.hnetinc.com:82

Comment

Pick up a keypad and setup it up to work with girder. This will allow you to control winamp with your keypad, thus giving you push button control. Not sure if this is what your looking for, but it definitely works.
                    You can still have something if you have nothing

Comment

The computer would be shut off by then (unless you're dead and the wreck didn't tear your velcro mount). How could they proove that you were watching your display? Would they need to proove that you were watching your display?

If your computer is set up to boot straight to a music-only app (via start menu), would that be enough to show the court that you use it only for music, thus being a legal app?

Why not just rig up a wire from your shifter to the serial port and make it look overly complicated? Who'd know any different? Would the insurance company pay to have a techno-freak look at it, or just cut you a check?
                      http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                      CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                      Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Well maybe its just me, but an aftermarket TFT display without a shutoff mechanism seems like another way for the insurance company to dodge payouts. I should also point out at this time, that I am after a VFD mp3 only system anyway. Thanks for the LCDC link. I am sussing it out as an idea for my project.

Comment

Working...
                        X