Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with MPXF 1.4

Okay, I got one for ya.

I just got my machine all gathered together with my ESS 1868 sound card (ISA) loaded in DOS using MPXF 1.4/MPXPlay (on a Pentium 133 socket 7, Intel i430HX chipset). I tried it on the machine I am typing on now (P3-500 MHz), and the whole thing works good, but when I transfered the files to the player machine, it gave me:

MPXF 1.4 Start
    Error opening MPXF.CFG

Any idea what this is? It didn't do this on >THIS< machine, but just on my player....

In case it helps, here's the details of my autoexec.bat file:

Code:
    C:\AUDIODRV\ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:7 /D:1 /B:330 /J:E
    C:\AUDIODRV\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:0
    C:\MPXPLAY\MPXF.EXE
    Config.sys:

Code:
    DEVICE=C:\AUDIODRV\ES1868.COM /A:168 /I:F
    STACKS=18,256
    Need help!

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: DaPepster ]

Hi DaPepster,
    Make sure that MPXF.CFG is in the correct directory, and that MPXF and MPXPLAY are in the correct directory, and the PATH statement in Autoexec.bat has the correct paths in them.
    Mike

Comment

Okay, I did a little more playing around with this machine, and just for the fun of it, I just ran MPXF.EXE from the C: prompt, and it tried to load, but it said failure in XMS memory. Make sure you have himem.sys in your config.sys file.

Tried that, and it did the same thing!

Comment

Can somebody just copy their config files into a .zip file and just email them to me? This is p***ing me off....

You'd think that for one with a degree from NRI in PC Servicing I'd be able to figure it out, but I guess I'm not that good...

::shrugs::

Comment

i think the reason it can't find the config is because you run mpxf.exe as c:\mpxplay\mpxf.exe, which will cause the app to think the active path is c:\, where your config file clearly is not contained. try changing that line to:

cd c:\mpxplay
          mpxf.exe

that should at least fix the config problem. in terms of memory, try copying emm386.exe and himem.sys to the player and make a config.sys file. in this file, put:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
          DEVICE=C:\EMM386.EXE

that could take care of that problem as well. good luck.
          ghetto suitcase player: http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/nipkick

Comment

Hi Nipkick,
            I think you nailed it! I remember having a similar problem at the beginning.
            Mike

Comment

nipkick: Okay, I got it to load the MPXF frontend without problem, now here's the NEW problem: every time MPXPlay tries to play an MP3, it freezes the computer. I even tried just loading MPXPlay itself and tried to load an MP3, and it still crahses.

Any ideas...?

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: DaPepster ]

Comment

The problem is you sound card setting most likely. Check the sound mixer (software driver) and change the IRQ/DMA setting and see if that helps.
                I think im using the same sound card in my setup so i know it should working without a problem.
                Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Fosgate: Ahhh.....I think yer right, man. I'm looking at the autoexec.bat and I see the ESSCFG.EXE file taking IRQ7, DMA1 (that IS what the /I: and /D: switches mean, right...?).

The parallel port is set to ECP mode, IRQ7, DMA3. ...I'll change one of these and tell you how it goes....

Comment

GRRR.....still crashes...

Here's what my autoexec and config files look like:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
                    Code:
                    C:\AUDIODRV\ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:10 /D:1 /B:330 /J:E
                    C:\AUDIODRV\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:0
                    C:\
                    cd\
                    cd MPXPLAY\
                    MPXF.EXE
                    CONFIG.SYS
                    Code:
                    DEVICE=C:\EMM386.EXE
                    DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
                    DEVICE=C:\AUDIODRV\ES1868.COM /A:168 /I:F
                    STACKS=18,256
                    I have the parallel port set to ECP mode with IRQ7 and DMA1.

Alright, lemme ask this; has anybody else had problems with MPXPlay crashing upon playing a file...?

Comment

Well its a common problem with MPXplay to freez your machine if your sound card setting are not right.
                      First try doing this, change your IRQ for sound card from 7 to 5 also try changing the DMA from 1 to 0 or higher number.
                      Usually the utilities that come with sound card drivers gives you ability to check if the selected settings are correct and if you can hear the sample sounds... so try that.
                      if nothing else works then dont load any ESS sound driver and let MPXplay use its one drives that should work.
                      Fosgate

Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Okay, I FINALLY got it to play and MP3 and get the menus to working. You're gonna laugh your a$$ off, but the way I got it to work was to install Win95 and modify MSDOS.SYS to not boot Windows.

Anyways, this encounters, you guessed it...ANOTHER @$(@((#% problem (I'll be sooooooo glad when this thing is completed...)! Well two, actually.

1) When I am playing the MP3 file, the LCD goes blank, instead of giving me a file status screen with analyser. I looked in the files and didn't see anything wrong...

2) I'm also having problems loading my playlists that I copied from my other computer. How do I get these .m3u playlists to work? I copied them into a directory and tried to load them, and it just says '0 songs loaded.'

I also wanted to thank those who aided in the troubleshooting of my system, as you were a great help in solving the problem.

Comment

1. You not loading MPXFTSR ( i think it was called) first.
                          Thats only gets used when MPXPlay is running.

2. You need to make sure that these playlists are pointing to the right path of your mp3s
                          For example if your mp3s are in
                          c:\music on your other machine then on your mp3 car they should be in the same path directory name.
                          To edit the playlist you can open them in notepad and change the path that they are point to.
                          Fosgate

Comment

Well, I tried loading the TSR program before the MPXF executable, and it did the same thing, except when it tried to play an MP3, it crashed the system. Then I put a huge a$$ dent in my wooden bedroom door.

So then, I decided to install Win95 and try Markus Zehnder's plugin, and after installing Win95 and WinAmp and the plugin, when I hit Alt+C to enable configure (I have no mouse on this computer, mind you) it just said something about a severe failure in the executable and crashed WinAmp. And I even tried to copy my MP3s to my hard drive through different CDs (2.77 GB total), and not ONE of my extra THREE CD-ROMs would act properly.

Which brings up another qustion: what is possibly going on to my CD-ROM drives that I have to buy a new one every four months? These are in two different systems mind you...

So anyways, I'm gonna put this project on hold for a while since it's given me a learning experience that it's a big pain in the a$$. But I shall return, I guess...

::shrugs::

Comment

Im having my own little issue with mpxf.
                              All in all i love it. I've got it setup so on the first load it goes to the playlist menu then into the play playlist menu(the one that lists all playlists in a dir. well this works great but when I play my list then return it goes to the main playlist menu (with play list, load list, edit list.) I'd like it if i could have it go to the same place as when it first loads.

Anyone know a way of doing this ?

Comment

Working...
                              X