smallest install of win98se?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smallest install of win98se?

who here has installed win98se below 128mb of HDD? I'm looking at doing a solid state drive install and a usb CDROM data disc thing.
    Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

i have mine down to 95mb... i had win95 down as low as 80mb... i experimented deleting the system32 folderin in windows directory, since they seemed to be duplicate files of system directory... i gained around 20mb right there... other than that, i deleted absolutely everything, even calculator!

And my system was reliable and never crashed.
    2001 PT Cruiser "BLK ICE"
    http://www.cobaltcarpc.com

Comment

Cool... Thanks for the reply... that is cool cuz I'm going to look for Compact Flash or Smart Media adapters that plug straight into IDE... see if I can use two, one on master for OS and one on slave for swap since swap will kill Solid state media and this will minimize reads from the OS/Configuration drive... and then put mp3s on a usb CDRom it was my original idea, but I abandoned it until people posted about compact flash IDE adapters...

Comment

check out 98lite.net
        you can do a micro install of 98se which is like 50MB or so and VERY fast bootup.
        04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

REally? I use 98lite on my desktop... I didn't know they had a smaller faster setup... a must-see appy

Comment

Or you can use a linux distro.
            I've seen a single floppy disk that would boot and had the programs to play mp3s
            So under 1.44 megs
            Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
            Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
            In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Originally posted by King Snake:
              <STRONG>i had win95 down as low as 80mb... </STRONG>
              80Meg for Win95? That's huge. I've had it down to 40 Meg, 50 including IE. And I really didn't do anything special.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
              X