OS Boot up times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Boot up times

Just starting my new adventure in mp3car computing and wondering what are your boot up times. Im tring to get the fastest boot up time and need to know what os i should build my pc around. I want to be able to play mp3, cds, dvds, and in the future maybe use the internet. If you could post your boot time and how you got it that fast.

thanks,
    cuzfu

14 seconds from hitting the pwr button to listening to the first song.

Win Me, stripped down with 98Lite (takes out ALL the crap), then edit the Sysyem.ini file to use Winamp as the shell.

Not bad for a 333mhz Cyrix with 64 meg SDRam.

Comment

I use the standby mode, and win98lite. While only using the mp3 player, it is 10 sec to warmup, and 3 sec to standby.

While running mp3player and moving map software, it is 25 sec to warmup, and 10 sec to standby.

P120 pad computer.
      current projects

Comment

Does MELite boot faster than 98Lite? Right now I'm using 98Micro on my P100, would I notice any difference if I changed to MEMicro?

Comment

From what Ive read, the program is still 98lite, but version 4 I think. Its just Millenium compatable now.

Comment

Winodws 98 non lite 6 seconds from cold boot. I love my CF card....
            BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
            bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

I heard that ME was faster then 98.
              I managed to find 98 lite pro on the net and install ME micro clean. ME was ulgy so i switched back to 98mirco and got the same boot times.

So ME is no faster in my experience then 98.
              [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
              Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
              a DIY video projector page

Comment

I was under the impression XP was really fast (to boot up), anyone have an XP machine they wanna time the boot up process?

Comment

Originally posted by joeb0b:
                  <STRONG>I was under the impression XP was really fast (to boot up), anyone have an XP machine they wanna time the boot up process?</STRONG>
                  with XP built on a Win2000 core I dont think it will be that fast, unless your hibernate to RAM, etc..... it does seem to boot quicker than win2K, but thats the differenece between 30seconds - 45seconds... so w98/ME is still a better choice for 10-20 second boots...
                  Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Linux and the Software Suspend patch equal a boot of less than ten seconds every time. I've never timed it, though -- by the time I pick up the stopwatch, it's over already. I can't imagine how fast it would be with a DOC or CF card..
                    digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Originally posted by JupiterX:
                      <STRONG>Linux and the Software Suspend patch equal a boot of less than ten seconds every time. I've never timed it, though -- by the time I pick up the stopwatch, it's over already. I can't imagine how fast it would be with a DOC or CF card..</STRONG>
                      is there an equilivent software package for windows 98? and I dont mean windows hiberante....
                      Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

So what about Win95a? I bet it would boot up faster that 98Lite.

Comment

No, I've looked high and low for a Suspend to Disk app for Windows with no luck. This was about a year ago, though, so who knows, things may have changed. The process isn't too different from Windows' Hibernate, as I understand it .. copy the contents of memory to hard drive, shut down .. on boot, load memory and pick up right where you left off. However, I've never used Windows' Hibernate, so I don't know if it's any good.
                          digitalswirlee.com

Comment

A really clean install of Win95 (C or B, don't use A, it sucks) boots in about 30 seconds on a Cyrix 200.

My player boots in about a minute, but that's just because I have networking enabled (adds a few seconds), and it also has to boot the Access engine, Media Player, and MS Speech objects, as well as the VB runtimes. Also, I have the VNC server running in the background.
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Don't forget that different motherboards (BIOS) will cause boot times to vary, because of POST time. I go from off to music in about 30 sec, most of which is POST (about 20 sec). I am booting into DOS (Win98) and running MPXPlay.
                              KG6OQD
                              www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Working...
                              X