Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keypad Plugin - we need a reverse engineer and rewrite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keypad Plugin - we need a reverse engineer and rewrite!

Everyone running a Win9* based system is familiar with the keypad plugin for winamp. The one commonly available from carplayer.com is his idea of shareware - crippled. To get the uncrippled one, you have to either kiss his *** or buy his plans, who wants to do either?. I'd like to know if there are any volunteers out there who'd be able to reverse-engineer a keypad plugin, so that those who want to use it don't become a slave to the evil that is carplayer.com .. any takers?

I'm sure there are new features people would like added, post them here if you wish also.

Ummm.. why reverse-engineer something so damn simple when you can simply write it yourself, quite a lot better. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a copy of VB or VC++ better than 3.0. If someone buys me VC++ 6.0, I'll write the plugin for ya.
    digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Write my own? .. ok, last language i learned was 20 years ago on a Commodore Pet, it went something like this..

10 Print "hi"
      20 for 1 to 20 goto 40
      30 goto 10
      40 end

now, i am sure things have moved on in programming languages a lot farther than this, including VB6 or C++, because i sure as hell didn't carry on with it, if i could write one you better believe i would...

Comment

If you've got VB or VC++, it's incredibly easy. Check out the frontend.txt in your WinAMP directory, and download the WinAMP general plugin SDK (which is just the commented source for an example joystick input plugin), and if you've got VB, look for something called Wabafel -- It's a VB module that has functions all set up for WinAMP.
        digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Actually, depending on what functionality you want from your keypad, WinAMP already has keypad support built in.

From WinAMP 2.50 help:

(playback controls)
          X or Keypad 5 Play/Restart/Unpause
          V Stop
          Shift+V Stop with Fadeout
          Ctrl+V Stop after current track
          C Pause/Unpause
          B or Keypad 6 Next Track
          Z or Keypad 4 Previous Track
          Keypad 1 Jump Ten Songs Back
          Keypad 3 Jump Ten Songs Forward
          Left Arrow or Keypad 7 Rewind 5 seconds
          Keypad 9 or Right Arrow Fast-forward 5 seconds

L or Keypad 0 Open/Play File
          Ctrl+L or Ctrl+Keypad 0 Open/Play location
          Shift+L or Insert Open/Play Directory
          Keypad 8 or Up Arrow Turn Volume Up
          Down Arrow or Keypad 2 Turn Volume Down

Comment

the plugin for the wired keypad? i got an identical one from Intar (www.intar.com) for free. Right now its not on their site, but they are also redesigning, so it may be available there again.
            K6-2 450 SBC, miniature case, dc power supply, 5gb laptop hdd

Comment

Intar technologies were the ones who originally wrote the carplayer.com plugin, they offered it for free for a short period, til the denizen of carplayer.com threatened to slap a lawsuit on Intar. Intar no longer has the right to distribute the keypad plugin, so I highly doubt it will reappear.

Comment

Wait I don't get this...Intar wrote the plugin but the guy from carplayer.com threatened to sue Intar for distibuting the software they wrote? Am I misunderstanding your message or what?

Comment

i left something out of the previous post, by rights it is carplayer.com's plugin, as he initially contracted out intar to write it. I believe it was for $35.00 or some paltry sum... who knows. In any case, carplayer.com owns the rights to and charges for a plugin, ironic i think considering winamp itself is now public domain freeware.

Comment

Ok now that makes more sense...

Comment

Instead of using a keypad I use a Gravis Gamepad. Up/Down cycle through the list of Mp3s. Left/Right do next/prev song. Buttons do puase, play/enter directroy, add to playlist, etc....

Comment

I found that a keypad works faster than my Gravis Gamepad. IR man is slowest of all . The problem is Im using a p-75

Comment

I rewrote a keyboard plugin for WinAmp, I'd post my site, but I don't want it to get killed (flooding and such)... e-mail me and I'll give you the source (in VB) or the executeable. It supports keypad control of WinAmp, although you could modify it for the whole keyboard, or a joystick, or steering wheel controls on your car. I'll have to write some documentation for it, but drop me a line and i'll send ya what I got. =)

[email protected]

Comment

Actually, there is a way to get any functionality you want from your keypad, but it's best for dedicated mp3 players, not for
                            something you want to use as a pc also.

There are a number of keyboard remapping utilities, the one I use is on www.zdnet.com.
                            Anykey? not sure right now.

It lets you remap any key on your keypad to
                            any keyboard key... I chose this route because then I could orient the keypad sideways, assign each button the function I want, and set up hotkeys for selecting playlists or directories to play.

Have fun.
                            Troy

Comment

Back in 1990, we got a state of the art Gateway 2000 486DX-2/25Mhz behemoth. It came with a great keyboard that not only had a complete numpad, 8-direction arrow keys, and an extra set of F1-F12 keys on the left-hand side of the keyboard, but it also had keys for remapping and setting up keyboard macros. I loved that thing. I still have it somewhere. One of my favorite things to do was to set up macros to automatically type in the cheat codes for Doom and such. Much easier than trying to type in IDSPISPOPD (Smashing Pumpkins into Small Pieces of Putrid Debris .. great acronym) while being stalked by a Cyberdemon.
                              digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Working...
                              X