Borland C++

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borland C++

I've decide to take a break from trying to write stuff in Linux (thanks for all the help )

Now I downloaded the Borland C++ 5.5 compiler from there site, as that's what I use to use at Uni. I then started to install it, see directions.

1. Run freecommandlinetools.exe; choose the
    drive and folder into which you want to
    install the free C++Builder 5 command line
    tool development system.

2. From the bin directory of your installation:
    a. Add "c:\Borland\Bcc55"
    to the existing path
    b. Create a bcc32.cfg file which will set
    the compiler options for the Include
    and Lib paths (-I and -L switches to
    compiler) by adding these lines:
    -I"c:\Borland\Bcc55\include"
    -L"c:\Borland\Bcc55\lib"
    c. Create an ilink32.cfg file which will set
    the linker option for the Lib path by
    adding this line:
    Noe the first one made perfect sense, but the rest means nothing to me.

Could someone please explain what I have to do in English. If you could put it on muppent level I shouldn't go wrong.

Cheers

Rob
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

add PATH=c:\Borland\Bcc55 to your AUTOEXEC.BAT and then in the c:\Borland\Bcc55\Bin directory, make a file called bcc32.cfg and put

-I"c:\Borland\Bcc55\include"

in it, then make a file called ilink32.cfg and put

in it, worked for me, if it doesn't for you, e-mail me.

Tom

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Tom ]

Comment

2a I don't understand.
      2b A .cfg file is just a text file. Open Notepad and add the lines they suggested.
      2c See 2b

You might want to use Windows Find tool to see if those CFG files are already created.

Ummmm I see I was a few minutes late....

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Maveric ]
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

2a
        -Double Click My Computer
        -Double Click (C
        -Right Click Autoexec.bat
        -Click Edit
        -Add PATH=C:\Borland\Bcc55 somewhere in the file

i just make a batch file to make the cfg files as long as you installed it to C:\Borland\Bcc55\ get it at http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/mp3carlinks/cfg.bat

Tom

Comment

Got that, rebooted to play safe.

Now I tried compiling a simple dos program "hello.c", does anyone not have a copy of this?)

I moved to the folder which contained "hello.c" and typed "bbc hello.c" and I got "bad command of file name" so I tried various combinations of bcc32, bcc55 etc with no joy.

I then opened "hello.c" textpad and went to tools, add program and added bcc32.exe I then tried to compile "hello.c" by running bcc32.exe through text pad, and I got the following message.

Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
          C:\My Documents\CLAB\hello.c:
          Error E2133: Unable to execute command 'ilink32.exe'

Tool completed with exit code 1
          Any idea what's going on? I've a feeling I might have messed up the CFG files, would it be possible for someone to send be a copy of theirs?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Rob
          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

ok, i made a C++ prog to make the cfg files and append the path in the autoexec. get it at http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/mp3carlinks/tom.zip
            source is at http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/mp3carlinks/tom.cpp
            and i put just the cfg files in a zip http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/mp3carlinks/cfg.zip

Tom

I don't really know if anyone wants all this but i was bored :P

Comment

Nope, my cfg file and change to the autoexe.bat are fine, must be some other problem.

Rob

Comment

try putting the source file in the bin directory and compile from there

have you rebooted for the path to take effect?

Tom

Comment

dude, get VC++ and call it a day...BC++ is a pain sometimes in the ***.
                  abcd-1
                  Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                  You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Yeah I've rebooted, putting the source file in the bin directory seems to work However there's got to be a better way of doing it than that Anyway enougth faffing and time to write some proper software.

Rob

Comment

The sofware writting is going okay
                      but I keep getting errors when it comes to outportb, now this is a command I used to use loads a few years ago with and older version of Borland.

But now I keep getting 'outportb' undefined; when I try and compile every thing, even old programs which I've written and know to work.

Before you say include dos.h I have included it.

I've even tried Charles suggestion

dude, get VC++ and call it a day...BC++ is a pain sometimes in the ***
                      But still know joy, anyone know what going on, and does anyone have an older copy of dos.h which I could try.

Programming never used to be this hard

Rob

Comment

I've got it all working at last.

In the end I got a copy of Turbo C 2.0 of the Borland Web-Site Installed it no problem, compiles fine, no problems with outportb or any thing.

Being C I can use C++ coments however

Still I can write my software, so watch this space.

Rob

Comment

Even though you have found a product you like, i would just like to set the record straight.

If you get "Bad command or filename" and you know the file exist then add another path statement to your autoexec.bat that tells your computer where to look.

PATH=c:\Borland\Bcc55\bin

Note that the bin part is added, since the compiler is located in the bin directory.

Now i've ranted enough, happy coding

Comment

Working...
                          X