S.o.p.h.i.e.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.o.p.h.i.e.

Another CarPuter software solution, except this one is pluggable. Anyone interested in creating a .NET plugin for it?
    S.O.P.H.I.E.
    www.VBSide.com/Sophie

How to plug-in-to Sophie

I've just finished the plugin SDK. You can download it from here: Download SDK It includes some light documentation and a few .NET code examples to show you the ropes. Hopefully it'll be enough to get you on your way to creating your first plugin to do whatever you want.... whether it be engine management, monitoring the serial port to shutdown the PC or a whole MediaPlayer plugin. Or perhaps just a simple plugin to read a finger print and start the engine.

Hopefully someone will be able to make a nice Destinator plugin

There are some ScreenShots of the main UI if you want an idea of what it looks like

Any comments welcome, let me know what you think of this main UI.

If you don't like the look of these User Interfaces then don't worry they can be totally changed, please see the UI SDK. It includes a C# and a VB.NET code example to get you on your way to creating a new User Interface (UI). You may even want to make a Direct3D one, or perhaps one that uses Shockwave to create lovely smooth animation.

Feel free to register free with my Site and add a picture of your modded car for all to see and desire.
    S.O.P.H.I.E.
    www.VBSide.com/Sophie

Comment

I've now finished writing up the plugin SDK. There are a few code examples to show you the basics. Vb.NET and C#. There are 2 examples showing you how to integrate media player into a plugin, WMP version 10 and version 6.4. The documentation is a bit skimpy but does show the methods the interfaces support. Should be easy enough to go from these examples to creating your own plugin. If you have any trouble let me know.

The User Interface SDK is also there showing you how to create a User interface, perhaps someone would like to dump the current UI and create a nice Flash one, or even better a Directx 3D one! Maybe.
      S.O.P.H.I.E.
      www.VBSide.com/Sophie

Comment

Not sure if anyone cares or is interested in this, but I've added a plugin to allow you to run other external applications. I've also dumped the seperate movie and mp3 player and added a media player that uses media players library, so potentially you'll be able to choose from the album, artist, genre, etc. I've also updated the mappoint plugin, but I've not had a chance to test it.

I'm going to work on a plugin using the viaDAB radio api. So it'll work with the psion wavefinder .
        I'm also going to make a plugin to make use of the T68i bluetooth sometime next week. So it can control the playing media or even list the songs in the playlist.
        S.O.P.H.I.E.
        www.VBSide.com/Sophie

Comment

looks like its comming out good, cant wait to see the finished product, keep up the good work

Comment

Really sounds nice, I just need to find some time to test it! (among all the other FE's I want to look into)...

Keep up the good work, as the plugin system sounds really nice!
            List of front-ends/usefull apps
            XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

what does S.O.P.H.I.E. stands for?
              -Mars

Comment

Software with Opaque Pluggable Human Interface for Entertainment.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

It might spark some interest if you actually posted what features your frontend has; what sets it apart from the other frontends.
                  Installed.

Comment

looking good m8.. what will you be coding the dab in.. I've struggled to get the wavefinder to anything else but flash .. couldnt get it to tune to any channel ! I was having a go in VB, would be very interested if you have managed this.

cheers

CdR
                    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

I've just managed to get the wavefinder to work in a VB.Net program. It's based on the exampe code in the viaDAB programmers guide. I can send you the sourcecode if you want,it doesn't do anything special though, just plays the stations. I found a list of the multiplexes in "properties.xml" file in the Wavefinder folder. That file contains the frequencies you can tune in to, then you can list the services (BBC Radio 1, Virgin, Core, etc.) in that muiltplex (e.g. DRg London. Digital1 Network,BBC National DAB)

The reception I get jumps from 20% to 90% so I'm not so confident on it working in the car. Do you use a wavefinder in in your car?
                      S.O.P.H.I.E.
                      www.VBSide.com/Sophie

Comment

no I got it too, but never got any further than getting it to flash green or blue cant remember. If you could send the source over that would be good, it might just point me in the right direction to developing a skinable one.

cheers

CdR
                        Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Stand out from the crowd
                          What makes my program stand out is that is utilises plugin architecture not only for gerneral functionality but also for the front end. This gives Sophie the advantage of being virtually totally customisable, from looks to functionality.
                          So it empowers the user to be able to pick and choose what they want the software to do and look like.

The look of software is called the UI (User Interface)
                          My first UI was using controls (textbox, label) which was a little slow and clunky, my next ui was to draw everything, that ended up showing how slow .net is, my latest UI plugin incarnation is using Flash/shockwave movies, this works a lot smoother and allows animations and skinability with ease.

Functionality
                          At the moment Sophie can do the following on my development pc:
                          • MP3 player
                          • Divx Player
                          • DVD player
                          • Rear view camera
                          • Launch external applications
                          • Support for MapPoint
                          • Basic ability to Play WaveFinder DAB Radio
                          • Skinnable Front end

I've combined the mp3 and movie player into one to help with making a playlist in media player. I might later use Winamp to play media, that way we can make use of all the lovely plugins winamp uses, from IR remotes to serial LCDs.
                          It is also possible to show the name of the currently playing song and playing time in the (any, flash) front end as well as control it (play,pause, next Track, fullscreen, etc).
                          Movies can be played on monitor 1 or 2. If playing on 2nd monitor they will be controlled by the first. I dont' think many people have touch screens on the 2nd monitor. So this i ideal if you have 2 screens in the back and one in the front as the Master and commander. Kids can watch a film in the back while you have gps guidance in the front. Just need to sort out some wireless headphones.

The only problem
                          The only problem I have with the ability to have plugins is that if I change the interface, all the plugins that use the old interface will have to be remade to use the new interface. That sentence probably only makes sense to a developer!
                          I will be changing the interface soon to (hopefully) allow plugins to list their unique methods/abilities/functions, that way it will be easier to make a menu system on a bluetooth phone or LCD and control it. It would also be easier for voice recognition, easier to link a voice command to a plugins function, such as 'play', 'pause', 'reroute' or 'plot route home'.

Since I'm the only developer working on it, it takes some time for the development to make any significant reliable progress. However the potential (I think) is huge. Perhaps so much that I may start charging for it.... yeh maybe one day.

If If If If, etc.
                          If you want engine management, no need to run a seperate program you made, create a plugin for Sophie and plugin it into her, and then when it's working well share the plugin for all to enjoy.
                          If you want to show the currently playing media (song , movie) on an LCD, just create a minor plugin to show it.
                          If you want to lock the doors using a bluetooth phone, simply make a plugin to do it.
                          If you want to synchronise media files with your home network, just make a simple plugin to do it.
                          Of course these 'ifs' are more relevant to a .NET software developer than anyone else, but still huge potential, for anyone that wants software to do exactly what they want and don't mind spending a little time working to get it done.

From what I've seen some people want more features in their front ends than other people, some like things to be simple while others want their little C1 laptop to be the new KITT. This way both can be satisified. You can remove the plugins you don't want and add the ones you do want and then make a UI so simple my 4 yr old cousin could use it....until he pushes the touch-screen to hard!

So go on, create your first plugin today.
                          S.O.P.H.I.E.
                          www.VBSide.com/Sophie

Comment

This sounds cool!!! Will be downloading and trying today! Keep up the good work!

[Edit] Have you seen my other post on here. Can this be done with your software. I am completely new to .net [edit]
                            "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

Originally posted by rickster
                              This sounds cool!!! Will be downloading and trying today! Keep up the good work!

[Edit] Have you seen my other post on here. Can this be done with your software. I am completely new to .net [edit]
                              Yes, that can be done using .NET.
                              Installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X