How fast does your system boot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast does your system boot?

I was just wondering how fast everyone's machine here boots from the point of turning the pc on until the point where you are able to play the mp3s. I'll start by saying I have a p150 w/ 48 meg running dos 7 and mpxplay, and it takes my machine roughly 35 secs.

25 sec with unregisted MPXF.
    on P166MMX 32RAM and with the oldest hard drive you can find

------------------

Fosgate
    Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
    Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Win98 with WinAMP as shell, P200MMX w/ 64mb o' RAM, USB HD....~50sec.

Comment

p200mmx 64mbsdram 10gig maxtor win98 load 850 songs, 1min45sec! too long, it waits at a blank screen for about 30 sec b4 loadin explorer.. need to find out how to boot faster...Any suggestions? (DOS is not a suggestion, its a disgrace) lol.. na, anything but dos plez
        Tim
        99 ram 5.9 turbo
        P4 2.0, MicroATX, Audigy2nx, Monster Cable / Alpine.
        Coming soon: Indash motorized, 5.1, dvdrw, gps, bluetooth, wifi, and more!

Comment

Tim,
          I have heard that selecting "Browse in a New Process" in the browsing section of the advanced tab of internet options will help get rid of explorer starting at bootup. Also try getting rid of all the programs that startup. This can be done by Going the accessories and selecting systemtools|system information. Then from tools|system config click on the startupp tab. Then Click away!

Have fun Hope this works Steven

Comment

Hey Tim, are you running anything besides WinAMP? If not, you can change the line in system.ini from 'shell=explorer.exe' to 'shell=\progra~1\winamp\winamp.exe'. It will boot straight into winamp and skip all of the files related to explorer.exe. That's how I get my system to boot in 50sec. And my specs are almost exaclty like yours.

If you are already doing that and it's still taking 30sec at that blank screen, it sounds like it's looking for some sort of network connection. If you have a network card installed and it can't find a connection, it will stall for a few before it times out.

I hope some of that could help you, if not...sorry.

OEP

Comment

internet options of IE.. hmm have to try that, afterall explorer and ie are the same thing.... and I have nothin but winamp and explorer startup, and yes i do have a network card.. linksys 10/100 ethernet, and its using windows auto-logon.. Im gonna try to take it out and unistall its stuff then see how fast it boots.. Hey and about the changing explorer to winamp, how do i change it back later if i want to update my mp3 folders with new songs and stuff?

Mucho Gracias
              Tim
              99 ram 5.9 turbo

Comment

Sort of worked; changed the shell to winamp and took out the network card and removed it from networking.... Now boots in 1 minute. It still hangs for about 10-20 seconds on green screen right after the last dos command and right before winamp pops up. Anyideas? Something to do with the sound card initializing? (thats the last thing that runs before winamp pops up.. last line on the dos screen is something like run: a4init.exe (sound card initilization)
                Anyways, now only winamp starts up, takes 1 minute to start, and... its about 50% faster skipping to songs (what used to take about 8 seconds to go to song 800 now takes about 6 seconds).. think thats about as good as i can get it...
                Thanks 4 the help, further help to speed it up is also welcome!
                Tim
                99 ram 5.9 turbo

Comment

To change the shell back to explorer.exe...just edit the system.ini file and change shell=\progra~1\winamp\winamp.exe back to shell=explorer.exe

Something is still not right though. I'm not sure what is causing the 10-20 sec hold. The only way I can think to fix that is to push "F8" when your computer boots and select "step by step confirmation". As soon as it stalls, make note of what you answered yes to.

Hope that helps,

OEP

Comment

Mate if you got a CD-ROM drive there on that computer it usualy will pause the system for around 10 -20 sec instaling the drivers for it. Windows drivers i mean. and even with some CD-ROM drives it actualy start spining if there is a CD in the drive.
                    so check that... Even if there is no CD-ROM on the system at the moment there might of been one and old drivers still trying to install it.

------------------

Fosgate
                    Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                    Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Well theres no CDROM in the computer. never was and probably never will.. never even been a floppy drive in it and probably wont (for drivers i copied the drivers disks of the video sound and network to the harddrive when i was copying the mp3s to it) (home computer to car computer).. so no cdrom, no floppy, no nada.
                      And as far as f8 goes.. I tried the step by step thing and it still hangs... you know the screen where you usually type in network or windows password, it sits there without the box up (i have no background pattern for windows, so the background is green... it just sits there on a green screen for about 20 seconds before winamp pops up. Right now only winamp comes up, dont have explorer as shell, dont have anything else like rundll or rnapp or systray or any of that junk... so i dont see why its stopping for a minute there.. and its not trying to load anything then, cause the hardrive isnt active then (led dont flash, harddrive dont spin) so its not a problem with loading winamp or mp3s or any drivers...
                      Any other suggestionsssssssssss??
                      I know 1min is decent speed for startup (15 seconds is right off the beginning.. 64mb memory test [even with POST] it takes a couple sec to test memory.. and right after that it stops for a few seconds while the "energy saver" crud logo fades off the screen and then it starts booting)..heres a sorta breakdown:
                      mem test/energy crud 15 sec, win98 screen 3sec, dos 2sec, win98 screen 8 sec, dos 7sec, green screen 25sec.. And then winamp pops up..
                      Any help to shorten these times is appreciateddddddddddddddddd.
                      Thanks
                      O ya, and how can you edit the system.ini file if you boot up straight to winamp? U need to be able to be in windoze to edit the file... Or put the harddrive in other comp. and do it that way?

Tim
                      99 ram 5.9 turbo

Comment

14 seconds with DOS 7.1.

Gutter
                        http://impee3.hypermart.net
                        The Impee3 Car Player
                        Don't Click

Comment

To edit your system.ini, press F8 on boot up,
                          Choose Ms-Dos prompt only
                          change to c:\windows using CD c:\windows
                          type edit system.ini
                          You have the good old dos ditor...

As simple as that...

Luc
                          Luc

Comment

My project isn't complete yet, so I can't post my boot time, but has anyone tried Suspend to Disk or Hibernation? I'm running win2k on my home system and the hibernation is great, it cuts my boot time just about in half. Would be even faster if I didn't have to go through loading the scsi bios.
                            www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

Maybe a stupid question but oh well.
                              If you take out the explorer.exe and put in Winamp does winamp still come up with the GUI? If so is it possible to do this with other programs? What if the other program used MS Media Player .OCX's and .DLL's?

Comment

Working...
                              X