Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Windows Shells

Hey all,

Have a question about using alternative windows shells (Ex: litestep) can shells like this increase performance much? I know about setting winamp to a shell but that isnt an option for me. Or are shells mainly just for changing the way desktops look. I know they can improve stability. Anyone who uses alternative shells, please reply.

- JustAGuy

Actually, stability can be a problem depending on what modules you use in comparison with other programs. I use litestep and one of the modules I have is mousehide. Only problem is that when my winamp vis is running, I hit a bump, and the mouse moves bringing the cursor up (I need to either ditch the ghetto mouse or get a touchpad), the vis errors on me. I don't really think you will see a performance gain but it lets you be extremely customizable with your system. Another problem is that if you're lazy, I wouldn't look into it, because you have to do a lot of manual typing in the setup files in order to make changes.

------------------
    www.geocities.com/blkdragon6
    www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

Litestep can be a lot of work, but does give a performance increase. Litestep takes up a lot less overhead than explorer, and less screen space too (if you want it too). You can to some pretty nice stuff with it, but as blkdragon said, some modules aren't all that stable. Using only the core modules, a popup, systray, and taskbar, I've never had any problems on my system at home. It's more stable than explorer anyhow!

------------------
      Visit my page, http://mp3box.2y.net
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Working...
      X