Just starting out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out...

Im new to this, so i hope someone will give me some feedback. Im running dos and using MPxPlay. Could someone help me out on how to configure mpxplay to start playing when i turn on the computer. thanx

Welcome to the club.
    The simplest way is probably to have it run as a batch file. Here, you have two options - either include the command in the original autoexec.bat OR have the autoexec.bat call another batch file. It's a personal choice; however, I would choose the latter.

If you want me to show you how to write a batch file, just post it here - I'll check back later today.

~m

------------------
    Using Napster, Imesh, Scour Gnutella and Freenet to load up my MP3-ized WebSurferPro... in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!
    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

That would be great if you can show me how...i also had another question on mpxplay, is their a way to speed up the process of adding the playlist, i have 430 songs and it takes FOREVER to add them....thanx

Comment

There is an option which stops mpxplay from loading all the ID3 tags. check the readme to find it.

that will speed up the loading considerably.

Comment

I am doing precisely what you are trying to accomplish. I have a call to a batch file in my autoexec.bat file. My PC boots to music in about thirty seconds, and doesn't preload ID3 Tag info (which is what slows down MPXPLay loading). Check the link to my website, as I have posted the entire text of both my autoexec.bat and 1.bat files there. You can use any text editor program (like Wordpad or edit) to create the batch file.

------------------
          http://avgeek.mp3car.com
          KG6OQD
          www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Thanks, all of the info you guys gave me helped alot.

Comment

Before you nix the ID3 loading, you may want to run Smart Drive at boot time. Add the following line to your autoexec.bat:
              C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV [drive that has your songs on it, e.g. c+]
              make sure that there is a + directly after the drive letter, like d+. This helped my speed greatly.

Originally posted by LmnsMP3:
              That would be great if you can show me how...i also had another question on mpxplay, is their a way to speed up the process of adding the playlist, i have 430 songs and it takes FOREVER to add them....thanx
              Jeff Rapp
              [email protected]
              <A HREF="http://ansley.hypermart.net/oldsmp3" TARGET=_blank>
              achievaMP3 - The Digital Oldsmobile</A>

Comment

DigitalOlds : And before you do that you will have to edit your config.sys so it includes:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys

Otherwise smartdrv will not run.

There are actually several other tiny ways of improving performance in dos, it does however depend on the program you run.
                you can define the STACK and the FILES to perform to the optimum (memory and file handling details).
                if i rember it right
                you write it like
                files=50
                in the config.sys, but im sure if im wrong there is someone out there that will correct me

Comment

the other option is to go the "paint by numbers" route and simply go to \ http://users.intercomm.com/water/mike/carmp3 and download his "automatic mp3player boot-disk creator". Very slick and painless.

~m

------------------
                  Using Napster, Imesh, Scour Gnutella and Freenet to load up my MP3-ized WebSurferPro... in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                  BC ROCKS!!!

[This message has been edited by dos4who? (edited 10-30-2000).]
                  PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                  Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                  BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X