Networking help please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking help please.

I got all my hardware about 2 days ago (much messing around but I don't think I need anything else for awhile) and I'm on to setting up all my software. Win98 is loaded now and I'm having troubles with the networking...
    I have a D-link either net card in this computer which is used to connect to the internet. I've installed a SMC EitherEZ card on the player and I believe it's configured right. I just finnish taping up my cross over cable ( this was very helpful http://www.homepclan.com/cabcr20.jpg)
    With the cross over pluged in to both computers I get solid link lights (on the back of the card) and blinking T/R lights (what does T/R stand for?) but no connection between the to (Winpopup doesn't work, Serv-u doesn't and Neighborhood network doesn't do a thing). I'd like to run Serv-U with and Simlpy transfer in/out the files I need.
    Please Guide me to my errors....

Thanks

if anyone is interested what I settled with for the player's hardware (total 330 CDN with a few other small things)
    A-Open Mobo
    P 133 (w/ large heatsink/fan)
    3 gig HD
    Genica ? PCI sound card New!
    Trident 1 meg video card -Ghetto- (when using 256 colors the refresh rate causes my monitor to not work
    SMC EtherEZ card (dusty)

I got the the hole deal sitting on a table with the monitor on the floor and a serial mouse beside it... I'm gonna build a case as soon as I get the PSU (I'll ask about that later :0)
    [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
    Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
    a DIY video projector page

I have found win98 networking to be a little on the unreliable side. Sometimes, it works like a charm, no problem. Other times, it doesn't work, and for no apparent reason. I recently installed a D-Link kit at my fathers office, and one of the computers was not showing up in the network neighborhood. Everything was installed correctly, all the drivers cables, everything. I checked Microsofts Knowledge base. I found an article that said the Upgrade version of win98 sometimes has a problem with networking.
    I'll try and post a link to the article soon.
    Anyhow I talked to Microsoft and D-Link for about week, none of the suggestions worked, then, on day, for no reason at all, the network worked, and has been working for 3 weeks now. Don't pull your hair out my friend, I'm sure you have done everything right, it's just *****ty Microsoft software.

P.S. I think T/R means transmit/receive, I think

Comment

Let's see... which protocol are you using?

If you are using TCP, try adding NetBEUI, so there is less to configure, and check it out. What about trying the cable on another pair of computers that are already working?

Have you access to some HUB so you could check with a pair of straight cables and the HUB your software configuration? if it works with the complete hardware setup, changing back to a back to back cable should work... (what is that D-Link? a HUB?)

Comment

D-Link is a brand of networking equipment.
        Here are some links that I found:
        http://support.microsoft.com/support...-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Also, try this Name both of your computers the same name(case sensitive). Reboot. You should get an error. To change the name go to Control Panel, Network, Identification. If you don't get the error then your computers aren't communicating at all. In my case, one computer was not announcing itself to the network. And make sure your file sharing is set up properly.

Comment

Just as a side note - I used to work somewhat with SMC network cards, and those things were virtually impossible to use with Windows networking. Don't think I ever got one to work quite right with all of the protocols (TCP/IP, IPX, etc.) installed. I never found support from the manufacturer either, I believe they got out of the networking business.

Comment

Well it works...

I tryed NetBEUI and that same name trick without any luck... I took out the card and reinstalled it's drivers. NetBEUI worked so I moved on to TCP/IP and that worked too.

Thanks for all the replys
            [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
            Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
            a DIY video projector page

Comment

Just for future reference, Network Neighborhood is not always a reliable indicator of what is on the Network. Go to Start>Run and type \\"computer name" (without the quotes). If one of the two computers isn't talking to the network, it will ask if you want to use Dial Up Networking to find it.
              KG6OQD
              www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Yeah, or you could do a seach for other computers for the same result. It's a typical Microsoft bug. I have experienced quite a few times that a computer not showing up in "Network Neighborhood" will be found as easy as that from the search for other computers.

Comment

In my massive amount of experience setting up finicky computers/networks at LAN parties I have found the most useful tool is ping. To test a network card goto start run and type "ping localhost" You can ping other computers to see if they are on the network. I have even found computers that have to ping something before the network wil work at all.
                  Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                  Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                  Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                  www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Keep in mind that the tcp/ip protocol must be installed for this to work.

Comment

Well my network just went to *****!! AGAIN!!
                      Microsoft is being suprisingly helpful with it but nothing is working so far. I tried ping, everything. Microsoft says it's a hardware issue. It's possible I guess, especially since it's a P.O.S. Compaq.
                      I installed the adapter in another computer, it worked fine, then I tried a USB adapter, that didn't work either. I just gave up. 8 hours I racked my brains!!
                      Any suggestions appreciated.
                      and yes I have the cables hooked up

Comment

In the system applet are the cards on both computers showing up?
                        Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                        Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                        Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                        www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Probably the connector on the SMC card is faulty or rusty. Try cleaning it with some spray for electronic equipment. Maybe is time to buy another adapter. I know that there are some PCI cards below $15.

Comment

In my case my card is new, and I have tried another adapter. The drivers are installed and Windows doesn't show and conflicts.

Comment

I cant say for sure what your solution to your problem is.

i do however have a few advices ... first of the ip you use for tcpip, it is recommendable that the ip is as close to each other ie xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy and xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy. so the first three parts of the number are the same.

Second it is advisable to ensure that the tcpip protocol is set as default protocol.

You have not said much about how you have defined your network settings, so it is very difficult to advice you.

One little thing though, if you have the connect signal on both machines you can pretty much assume that the cards "work" and that your problem is in the setup.

I dont know what happens if you use a bad crossover cable in comparison to a normal cable.

if i understand you right you have build this cable your self. it may be advisable to buy a "real" crossover cable. a small one shouldnt cost more than 10$ and even if you need a longer on in general, you will know if your homemade works or not

If you still have problems, i think we will need more info on your network setup

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X