File synchronization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File synchronization

Does anyone know of a program for Windows that can synchronize files? I.e. compare files against files on network drive machine and then update as necessary.

Obviously I want this for fast file maintenance of a in-car mp3 box.

Bang yeah! That's what I want too! I started writing something to do that in VB, but I really just dug myself a hole. I hope an experienced person out there has done it though

Basically I had two listboxes showing the contents of both the local, and remote drives. There was a sync button to make both drives identical (or selected folders ie mp3's), or you could update only higher quality songs (in that say you had a net 128k file and you had just got a CD quality version, this would allow you to overwite the lower quality song).

I had it all look'n pretty but the code for what I wanted to do was beyond me

I hope this gives someone some ideas though.

Rock on!
    BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
    bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

bjblaster.com

Comment

simple. for each file, look at the size and date...if it is different then overite. Also if the file is not in the destination drive, then copy it over.

send me what u have an i code it in....

abcd-1
        abcd-1
        Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I downloaded a program that does exactly what you want. I'm not at home now but will post a link tonight. It works great.

Comment

There is a dos utility in the Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 ResourceKit called Robocopy that should handle that really well.

// Markus

Comment

time to search for robocopy....
              i will let u guys know.

abcd-1
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

i remember a prob made just for this purpose but i cant remember the name right now...
                Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Here is the link. The program is FileSync at www.fileware.com

Comment

Excellent!
                    that FileSync Programe rocks!

now all i have to do when i have a network drive is map the drive, and it will work prefectly!!

THANKS mp3wrangler!

Comment

I worked out the code....but I love the Filesync prog! I'm gonna add some of the features of it to my one.
                      bjblaster.com

Comment

i'd be very interested in checking out anything you come out with Bj

Comment

I'll keep you guys posted
                          bjblaster.com

Comment

I don't even map a drive. My to path looks like this \\mp3wrangler\mp3. As soon as I plug in the network line I bring up FileSync and press the go button and it works like a charm.

Comment

Yea, i realized that shortly after i posted that messge on the board ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X