What programming language?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What programming language?

Hi everyone. I've been a programmer for a few years, as a hobby. I mostly do PERL, and I'm pretty good with it. I'm not too good with OOP. I've learned some C++ in school. I learned some C++ out of school. I am proficient with C++, even though I use my book when programming with it. Also, anything I've needed to do in C++, I can do in Perl twice as fast, so I don't have alot of practice with it.

So my question is: What language should I learn? I want one that is robust enough to do low-level programming (IE parallel port), and still have easy to use GUI. I heard VB is good, but I've also heard it's like selling your sould to bill gates. :-/

Any thoughts?

Awesome VB replacement: Delphi. No need to use MS products
    And yes, you can do parallel port programming, and ASM code if you want. Also a great interface IMO

Delphi is basically object pascal

What I don't like about it: for every delphi example, there are like 20x VB examples
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Personally, I would say stick with C++. Sounds like you've already got your foot in the door, and it will complement your PERL knowledge nicely (as their problem domains don't overlap all that much). C/C++ is in extremely widespread use, so even if you don't consider it your 'language of choice' it is a good one to know, and it will handle any low-level task you ever want to do with it.

That said, for GUIs it's only as good as the library you use (and most are pretty clunky). .NET (managed C++) does it pretty well (for Windows, of course), but then you're back to selling your soul to gates .

That's my $0.02 anyway. I'm sure others will differ.

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
        That said, for GUIs it's only as good as the library you use (and most are pretty clunky). .NET (managed C++) does it pretty well (for Windows, of course), but then you're back to selling your soul to gates .
        Please stay awy from .NET!!!
        Its slow
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
          Please stay awy from .NET!!!
          Its slow
          I find loading in the debugger to be inexplicably slow, but otherwise I wouldn't say it's particularly slow. I believe there are some objective benchmarks you could check out. I'm hardly a fan of Microsoft, but they did alot of things right in .NET (except for the stupid name...) They don't employ a huge pile of top language gurus for nothing.

Comment

I find loading in the debugger to be inexplicably slow, but otherwise I wouldn't say it's particularly slow. I believe there are some objective benchmarks you could check out. I'm hardly a fan of Microsoft, but they did alot of things right in .NET (except for the stupid name...) They don't employ a huge pile of top language gurus for nothing.
            That, and you can always run ngen on your .NET executable. Good thing v2.0 and 64-bit support will probably be out by the time I set up my carputer
            Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Look at Centrafuse. Even after rewriting all the skin code with win32 API, people are still compaining that its slow!

You can port Delphi application to linux using Kylix
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Look at Centrafuse. Even after rewriting all the skin code with win32 API, people are still compaining that its slow!
                Let me guess, it's because 90% of carputers are underpowered?

You can port Delphi application to linux using Kylix
                ...and increase your user base by a whole lot of two linux carputer users out there
                Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Originally posted by lastberserker
                  Let me guess, it's because 90% of carputers are underpowered?
                  Exactly why I'm not building a VIA machine But really, the language is slow, just download a copy of CF for yourself. Even VB is faster
                  ...and increase your user base by a whole lot of two linux carputer users out there
                  Hey, some people use linux
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Exactly why I'm not building a VIA machine But really, the language is slow, just download a copy of CF for yourself. Even VB is faster
                    Oh, I will. Now that I have my setup running on a desk (wow, those MiniATX boards are tiny!), I'm going to try all popular software (and some hardware as well) to see what I want to keep

Still, CF being slow doesn't mean .NET is slow - I saw a few nice C#/.NET applications that run like champs. And I'd rather through more CPU/memory than my spare time at apps I code

Comment

He's got you there, lastBerserker. Centrafuse is slow. Not as slow as it was when it was first released but it's slow.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                        He's got you there, lastBerserker. Centrafuse is slow. Not as slow as it was when it was first released but it's slow.
                        I'm downloading it ATM. Give me a minute and I'll tell you just how slow it is on my setup

Comment

Originally posted by lastberserker
                          Oh, I will. Now that I have my setup running on a desk (wow, those MiniATX boards are tiny!), I'm going to try all popular software (and some hardware as well) to see what I want to keep

Still, CF being slow doesn't mean .NET is slow - I saw a few nice C#/.NET applications that run like champs. And I'd rather through more CPU/memory than my spare time at apps I code
                          Ok. Try it

See, that's the problem with today's coders. They'd rather make quick and easy but messy code instead of taking the time to write good planned out code in a language that isn't slow. That's why I'm rewriting NaviVoice, the code got to the point were I said to myself that if I pile up any more features then its gonna become slower. So I decided to rewrite the whole app with a plan and organization
                          Originally posted by Bugbyte
                          Thanks for backing me up
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Like was said before: Centrefuse being slow does not make .NET slow. Definitely check out the benchmarks. Just because it is Microsoft doesn't mean that it is automatically slow.

KyleYankan I would stick with the C++ especially if you want to be able to do low level programming. I wouldn't go with VB if you want to do the low level stuff. Doing GUIs with C++ is easy enough in .NET Studio. Plus with C++ you will easily be able to switch over to Java or C# in the future if you wished (especially since C# is way better than Delphi ).
                            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
                              Like was said before: Centrefuse being slow does not make .NET slow. Definitely check out the benchmarks. Just because it is Microsoft doesn't mean that it is automatically slow.
                              It doesn't mean that .NET is automatically slow, but it is slower than the other programming languages (not sure if its slower than VB and java though). The EXE sizes in delphi are pretty big though, that's like my only complaint. The syntax is very much like VB, with a few exceptions (like := and ; ).
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X