Car MP3 System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car MP3 System

Is it true using Windows 98 is the best OS for a car MP3 player? Cuz I recently installed an MP3 system in my car using Windows 98 and every 3-5 times of shutting it down (i.e. killing power while in windows) it would corrupt my windows and i had to reinstall the system. Now im thinkin of running a Dos system using MPXPLAY. any suggestions?

Also i just found out i can do this in dos
    attrib +R /s
    and that will make every file on that drive ReadOnly. so if i do that on my windows MP3 system it cannot corrupt when shutdown right?

Comment

Opps one more question, if i run my MP3's off a CD-Rom drive in my car, will it skip alot?

Comment

1st post:
        you're not supposed to kill power to windows, you're supposed to shut it down. MS tells you to do this for a reason

2nd post:
        If you do that attrib thing, I'd do it just to your OS directory. MPXPLAY may have a file that it temporarily writes data to, and if you dont let it do that then it wont work and there will be another triple post

3rd post:
        depends on how bad you drive and what kind of CD-ROM you've got.

------------------
        Plans & Pics of my system at http://wizardpc.terrashare.com
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

This isnt true, i've been running my carputer with windows 95 months ago, and i have been killing power about 4 times a day and never had anything corrupted. If you're not running any extra progs besides winamp, you wont have any trouble. Anyway, there's one plugin that solves this concern, it lets you shut your pc down when you press * 3 times in your keypad

[This message has been edited by Brain (edited 01-03-2001).]

Comment

You can be a little safter when shutting down Windows dirty by disabling the swap file. This assumes you have enough RAM. As far as it corrupting, that shouldn't happen. I'd check the MS Knowledge base for a possible solution. Also, have you considered there is another problem with your machine? Unstable boot sector on the HD? Virus? Bad RAM?

Some CD-ROMs will work fine in a car, others won't. Laptop drives are supposed to be better, but hard to connect to a desktop type system.

------------------
            Aaron Cake
            London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
            Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brain:
              This isnt true, i've been running my carputer with windows 9 months ago, and i have been killing power about 4 times a day and never had anything corrupted....</font>
              sorry, I wasnt clear: MS tells you to shut down for a reason and the reason is this--you might have problems. They don't say you will have problems and you shouldn't say you won't have problems. There is an increased possibility for corrupting files if you don't shut down.

------------------
              I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R0ME000:
                Is it true using Windows 98 is the best OS for a car MP3 player?</font>
                *COUGH* *CHOKE* *GAG*!!

If you're system is only used for playing MP3s, you should switch to a DOS based system; namely, DR-DOS. It's simple, multitasking, and can be shut off without problem. Windows is much too bulky for an in car MP3 player. (IMHO, of course)

Try running DR-DOS 7.03 with MPXPlay and compare the two OS's. My system has been turned off and on at least twice a day for over a year and I haven't had a single problem with the system.

My site has a link where you can download DR-DOS if you'd like to try it. It can't hurt.

Gutter
                http://impee3.hypermart.net
                Don't Click

Comment

as far as 98 being the best...each to his own...i'm not a DOS guy, i got into computers near the end of dos and at the beginning of win domination 3.1 and 95...and i realy got interested in computers after 98 was out...so its only natural i'll pic win9x.

i've been expermenting w/ the dif os's 95-ME on which i like the best, so right now i have the most striped version of 98light on the system...it boots up about 10 sec faster than ME light, but only uses about 350meg so if i only planed on useing it for MP3's it would be perfect for me...i have plans for a full carputer w/ all the extras so i think i'm going to stick w/ ME light (based on 98light) but like i said each to his own...if i knew more about dos and only planed on playing mp3's then i'd prob use a dos basesed system...much quicker overall.

mark

Comment

I have to agree with the DOS crowd.

If you only want to PLAY mp3s then it only makes sense to run DOS. no overhead, quick boot time, quick shutdown etc etc etc

In fact you could use a micro miniature system with DOS on a chip. (expensive dreams)

Since I run GPS software I am stuck running Windows...you could always set up your system to run off DOS, then change your mind later.

Problems with DOS include hardware compatibility, and software choices...you can't run winamp and all the plugins, but there are a lot of DOS players.

------------------
                    http://www.geocities.com/mr_bubba_zanetti/
                    current projects

Comment

Of course, I think that Linux is the best OS for a carputer... I can run my MP3's with a short 20-second boot (that includes 11 seconds in the BIOS stuff), so my machine will boot before I get to the bottom of my driveway (though still awaiting money to buy my LCD text display before I install).

If you do it right you can get a fast-booting, great system... my customized setup is 35Mb... about 20Mb of which is the Perl distribution which I need to run the file-selector software (based on a heavily modified Cajun code). Just over 1Mb is the kernel which includes everything I need compiled in... no modules. It's just easier to upgrade that way

FYI, for anyone running a Linux MP3 server, I've found the fastest boot times as well as no need for filechecks to be by running ReiserFS as your boot partition and FAT32 as you're BIG MP3 partition. Even with 3Gb of MP3's already loaded in various directories, mount times are minimal. This is on a P233 box BTW.

I plan to post a downloadable version of my entire OS distribution when I get the wrinkles ironed out... that'll give you an entire working system in minimal disk space. Pretty cool if I do say so myself

If you're an ardent MS guy, do Win98Lite... boot times are quickest of any of the WinOS's... or if you're just doing MP3, use DOS as mentioned above. If you're good with computers... you can't go wrong with a free UNIX

Comment

Just as a side note, you can't load unix (or linux) onto western digital hard drives. I dont know why, but that's what the instructions for my new WD drive say.

------------------
                        I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

actualy i just did this last week on my Western Digital 45 gig hard drive. it works fine! Unix that is. I have decided to run a striped win 98 instead though (want lots of extra toys).

Also hard shutting down (pulling the plug) doesnt affect the hard drive when only playing mp3's. since it is only in read mode no probs are caused. If nothing is wrote to the hard disk then you wont have anyprobs and that means that it will act the same way every time you boot. Just mack sure you dont write to the disk and do hard shut down, otherwise you have to defrag.

Comment

I decided to use win 95 and boot up in dos mode to play mp3's with mpxplay. Look at the thread called Networking?. I used 95 because it uses minimal hard drive space and has ez networking support to transfer my mp3s. If you want better performance for Winamp and gps software use 98 or ME like said above.

Comment

WizardPC: WTF?

That's a pile of horse-manure if ever I heard one! There's absolutely NO reason you can't load UNIX on a WD hard drive... hell if you can't run Linux on it then chances are you won't be able to run Windows NT, 2000, FreeBSD etc. on it either! Horse-hockey!!

I'm not doubting you, I just sincerely doubt that there's a problem with WD hard drives... if there is then I've got problems because every IDE HD I have is made by WD. Of course, my primary system runs SCSI, but my secondary box (webserver, gateway to the Internet, etc. etc.) is running 3 IDE WD drives and runs just great.

Sounds to me like a marketing ploy since free UNIces are often more likely to "notice" problems on a drive... that's just because even though they all differ a lot, they're all based on the same ideal of an OS that can stay up almost regardless of environment... unless the plug is pulled.

Hey, if you can scan that instruction sheet with that phrase on it, email it to me at [email protected].. this I HAVE to see!

Comment

Working...
                              X