Decreasing boot times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decreasing boot times

In the continuing battle to decrease boot times I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Is it worth it to change your shell command to boot straight into winamp instead of explorer? And if that is done can you load two programs? like

shell=c:\program\blah\winamp.exe;c:\program\girder \girder3.exe

or would that not be worth it?

Thanks
    95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
    mp3civic site

I've got a simliar question. My computer boots windows in about 15 seconds because I stripped it down and set winamp as the shell, but it spends 40 (!!!!!) seconds sitting at the main bios startup screen. It scans the memory, detects the hard drive, then sits there for 40 seconds (I clocked it)! Any ideas on how to speed this up? I disabled the floppy controller and the secondary ide channel and fiddled around in bios and such, but can't speed the damn thing up.

?

------------------
    http://mp3box.2y.net
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot to answer your question Loading winamp as the shell increases boot time by 10 seconds or so, and you can't run more than one program.
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

I use DR-DOS which has MPXPlay running in 12 seconds from boot, but at one time my bios would stick for almost a minute waiting for nothing as well.

The problem, which I still can't explain, is because I had two HDDs; the first was the primary master and the second was a secondary slave. There was no CDROM. When I moved the secondary slave to primary slave, it solved the problem. I don't know if you have a similar setup, but if you have multiple drives, I'd try moving the second one around. It doesn't hurt to try.

After hours of trial and error, this was the only way, however inane, that I could solve the problem that you are experiencing.

Hope this helps.

Gutter
        http://impee3.hypermart.net
        Don't Click

Comment

Try setting your bios to not detect the HD, put in the settings manually.
          That will usually kill some time on the boot.
          Also set the boot options to C only, instead of a:, cdrom, harddrive (or whatever you have set)

Comment

You should also have an option to do a "quick-boot" which should speed things up. You might also check to see if it's doing a complete memory check turn it off.

-kate

------------------
            send mail to:
            kate at bootstrap dot net

2000 Jeep Cherokee
            Asus CUW(E) + 366mhz Celeron + 96mb + 13GB + DVD
            Palm Pilot + PalmAmp
            cueKat + CueCat
            300w Inverter

Comment

"The problem, which I still can't explain, is because I had two HDDs; the first was the primary master and the second was a secondary slave. There was no CDROM. When I moved the secondary slave to primary slave, it solved the problem. I don't know if you have a similar setup, but if you have multiple drives, I'd try moving the second one around. It doesn't hurt to try."

--

I had that problem with my system here, only the BIOS would fail to recognize the primary master HD at all after sitting there for a minute. Reboot, and the thing worked fine. Then I redid the drive order (to get some slack in the cables) when I installed another fan in the case and all of a sudden the thing worked fine. I don't remember exactly what I did, but if anyone is interested, I could make a note of the settings next time I boot.

Comment

"Is it worth it to change your shell command to boot straight into winamp instead of explorer? And if that is done can you load two programs? like

shell=c:\program\blah\winamp.exe;c:\program\girder \girder3.exe"

--

Could you write a program to launch both winamp and girder and make THAT your shell?

Comment

Like just a batch file that launched both programs? I could try that.
                  95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
                  mp3civic site

Comment

very simple...just open up notepad and write

@echo
                    c:\whateverdir\someprogram.exe
                    c:\anotherprogram.exe

then save it as a .bat file. Then change your shell to that batch file.

Comment

I've just got the primary hard drive on the primary ide, and I turned the rest off. I went through bios and disabled everything that wasn't needed, and sped up what I could. I've never really figured out what causes it. It even did it when it was a normal use desktop computer. I was hoping there was one thing i was forgetting.

------------------
                      www.arbybean.com

Comment

About the batch thing, won't that only run 1 program at a time starting the second after the first is finished?
                        Has anyone found any good free bios updates? Someone told me about one called Drbios when I first started working on my mp3 player. It looked pretty good but I didn't feel like paying for a bios update.
                        I put both my hard drives on the primary channel last week and cut a few seconds off my boot time.

Comment

Arby: Have you tried using a different HDD? It could be what's causing the problems.

nicksmurf:
                          1. No, a batch file runs through all the lines in that file until it reaches the end or is told to pause. The example xzol gave will work.

2. You can download an updated bios from the manufacturer of your bios chip. There are instructions all over the web for figuring out which chip you have and where to get updates at. There are projects working on building a free bios, but most aren't very far. A BIOS is written specifically for a certain motherboard and there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all BIOS

I've looked into MRBIOS as well, but all questions I've sent to them have gone unanswered. That doesn't give me very much confidence in wanting to send them my money.

------------------
                          Gutter
                          http://impee3.hypermart.net
                          The Impee3 Car Player

[This message has been edited by Gutter (edited 01-02-2001).]
                          Don't Click

Comment

Hmm, good idea, but I'm not working on my car when it's 20 outside *shiver*

It's a relativly new hard drive, bought it last year. 7200 rpm, I think.

------------------
                            www.arbybean.com

Comment

it might be your hd. i had that problem it would take for ever to detect the drive and it would take for ever to boot, then to make it worse when i when to play a song(this drive contained all my mp3s) it would skipp and get stuck on the same note. and it did this trough out the whole song on every song. so i was about to start screaming and abort the whole car computer thing and get a cd changer and something told me to change the drive and to my surprise it worked fine. the boot time increased and the songs stop skipping...until i put it in the car. then the boot time slowed down again, it doesn't skip but i can't do to many things on it at the same time or else it crashes.

Comment

Working...
                              X