Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want another XM player? (NimbleXM)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want another XM player? (NimbleXM)

Hey folks.

I've used Frodo's SatelliteRadio app for a few months and it's spiffy, but I decided to learn a little more about how it does its thing and make my own player. (And add a feature or two in the process.) So since it's built, figured I'd offer it if enough people want me to package it up.

Pretty picture:

Features:
    • Works with XM Direct module.
    • Fully skinnable
    • Database-driven to remember channel names, contents, ranks and last-checked dates, and retreive it quickly and efficiently
    • Supports 32-character artist/title
    • Supports output of current song info as XML via configurable HTTP port
    • Supports channel ranking.. you have a list of all channels, and a list of some of them as "Good" channels (ones you may actually listen to), and some as your "Best" channels (your top 10 or however many). By showing only the channels you listen to, info refreshes are quicker.
    • Available controls: Next channel, prev channel, mute, list rank, assign channel rank, minimize, close, channel list
    • Available text: Song title/artist, channel number, channel rank, list rank, connection status, song time elapsed, song time remaining
    • Available displays: Satellites 1/2 and Terrestrial Repeater signal strength (Can be any image you choose, and can resize or crop the image up/down/left/right, and satellite images can change if XM has demodulator lock), channel art
    • All of the above controls are placed with pixel top/left/width/height and can be hidden easily, along with text font/size/bold/italic/alignment/color for the text controls
    • Separate images for button up/down
    • Can auto-reset the XM radio if no communication received in 10 seconds, or can ask if you want to reset
    • Touchscreen mode, hides the mouse pointer when the app is visible

Just so you know, here's stuff that's NOT included, and I won't add:
    • Volume control, Equalizer
    • channel favorites buttons

I've coded this to be quick and lightweight, which is why it's called NimbleXM. However, the installer wouldn't be light.. it's written in VB6 (groan), and needs ODBC drivers to hit the Access DB, the comm port control and a TCP control installed. They can all be included in the package but it'll be a hefty download. So I won't pull my hair out setting this up so other people can beat on it if nobody will use it. Let me know if you really want it.. but if you can stick to Frodo's or whomever else's, that's cool.

Also, if you just want my VB6 XM class code, just ask.
    Epox EP-3VWB+ w/VIA C3 750MHz
    Crystalfontz 632 16x2 LCD
    DWW-7VGA 7" Indash VGA w/Touchscreen
    Garmin GPS 18 USB
    Terk XMD1000 XM Tuner (My VB6 Class)
    Scantool.net ElmScan ISO (My VB6 Class)
    PSK-3100 Traveller Keyboard

This looks nice... yet as another option (can never have enough).. I'd like to see the code you used to pull up the Sat strenghts... I could only find documentation on the signal quality (not level).. pm/email me if you can share the code with me..
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by Erorus
      Also, if you just want my VB6 XM class code, just ask.
      I'd like to have a look at the code if you don't mind. I don't yet have a XM receiver but I'm planning on gettin' one soon and I'll write my own app to deal with the receiver so any info is more than welcome. Thanks.
      Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Comment

Package it up! I'd love to try it out! FrodoPlayer and FrodoSatelliteX act weird on my computers, they dont use up the full screen, and usually load up pushed down the screen and under the taskbar... I have to right click the taskbar and lock/unlock it for the Frodo apps to redraw in the proper portion of the screen, etc.
        Kevin
        Audi A4 Carputer, 80% setup.

Comment

Here's my XMDirect (and probably XMPCR) VB6 class:

http://www.apeirokalia.com/xmdirect/

I'd like a few more people to post that they'll try the player before I package it up.. I'm lazy. So let me know if you want it.
          Epox EP-3VWB+ w/VIA C3 750MHz
          Crystalfontz 632 16x2 LCD
          DWW-7VGA 7" Indash VGA w/Touchscreen
          Garmin GPS 18 USB
          Terk XMD1000 XM Tuner (My VB6 Class)
          Scantool.net ElmScan ISO (My VB6 Class)
          PSK-3100 Traveller Keyboard

Comment

Hey does XM work in the UK???
            Its down!!!! Sold the Golf so took it out, it's still alive but not installed.

Progress [-----------] 0%
            Who the Daddy Iz!

Comment

No!
              Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

App looks great, would love to test it on the XMPCR.. post linky please =)
                Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar
                  Package it up! I'd love to try it out! FrodoPlayer and FrodoSatelliteX act weird on my computers, they dont use up the full screen, and usually load up pushed down the screen and under the taskbar... I have to right click the taskbar and lock/unlock it for the Frodo apps to redraw in the proper portion of the screen, etc.
                  You know if you would read the solutions and the ini file in the thread you
                  wouldn't have that problem.
                  [H]4 Life
                  My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                  It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

I'd be willing to try that out. It'd be hard beating Frodo's.. But package that up.. You got me all excited now. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      You know if you would read the solutions and the ini file in the thread you
                      wouldn't have that problem.
                      frodo,

Thanks for the response, it's sad to say that I have my hands full with all sorts of personal and business projects that I don't have time to read the docs for each of the like 50 pieces required to put a carputer together. With Map Monkey, NaviVoice, Destinator, iGuidance, this that etc ... well, you know.

I read a lot on these forums, and I google constantly for all sorts of things (carputer unrelated), these days, there's just not enough time.

Not to mention, I have about 7 other major forums to dig through daily, plus 20+ RSS feeds, email, etc... That can eat up a whole day without getting any work done...

Anyway, you know how it is, users want it to just work. And that's why consumers buy things from major manufacturers in most cases, because it "just works" rather than have to tinker like us hobbyists.
                      Kevin

Comment

Was that necessary?
                        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar
                          Was that necessary?
                          not really, but it was useful
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Oh and Erorus, yes, please publish it. Everyone needs options.
                            It's good to see more software for the scene.

Frodo
                            [H]4 Life
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

XM Radio

Yes please publish it. Our software is written in VB6 and we don't have support for XM. I would love to test this out.
                              Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
                              http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X