Xport2/compass problem, need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xport2/compass problem, need help

i wanted to use GPS Secure with iguidance v2.0 together so i tried out xport 2 to create a virtual com port.

This is what i did

In Xport i set the input port to Com 64, and created two output ports : com 7 and com 8 and enable service. Then i open up the Compass program and set it to com 1 which is what my serial gps is on.

Then i go into iguidance in the setup and choose com7.

However it does not get any nmea strings or satalite connections in the gps info section. When i close the compass program and set the com port in iguidance back to com1, iguidance is able to get nemia strings and starts connecting to satalites.

am i doing something wrong?
    I wish i knew how to do fiberglass work...

i think it is creating a virtual port because iguidance doesnt say that no gps is found or anything like that. It allows me to go the new com ports created but it doesnt get any nema strings or anything once its there...

Comment

Does compass see the data?
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Looks like you're doing everything right. It shouldn't matter, but what GPS are you using?

Comment

im using the Garmin 16a with a serial port hookup.

Comment

Try HyperTerminal on COM1 (4800 8N1) to see if it's sending NMEA strings without anything needed to be sent to initialize it. Then, like Laidback says, see if Compass shows any sats/signals/altitude or anything. If there's nothing, then Compass ain't working/forwarding data for some reason.

Comment

Hey Curiosity, does compass only work at 4800 baud? My new GPS is sending at 9600 which I know isn't standard and Compass does nothing! (I know I can change it down to 4800)
              Laidback

Comment

That's a little odd, but OK. New version posted in the usual place. So is it faster than 1 update per second?

Comment

Maaaaannnnn, that was quick work!! Thanks it did the trick!
                  Laidback

Comment

ill try out his version, mine is a 5HZ update, so five times a second and it was also 9600 baud too.

edit: my baud rate is not 9600, but 19200 (according to iguidance) and the new version doesnt work either i dont get anything on my compass readings

Comment

You sure you have the Garmin set to NMEA mode? I think they ship with the GARMIN protocol coming out the serial connection.

Comment

umm im sure its sending out nmea because without using the compass software, it works fine in iguidance on com1. its when i use compads and xport to create other virtual ports that the transmissions stall somewhere along the line.

Comment

Originally posted by theheel
                          ill try out his version, mine is a 5HZ update, so five times a second and it was also 9600 baud too.

edit: my baud rate is not 9600, but 19200 (according to iguidance) and the new version doesnt work either i dont get anything on my compass readings
                          19200? OK, I added it. Tell me if it works. (don't tell me if it doesn't. )

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
                            19200? OK, I added it. Tell me if it works. (don't tell me if it doesn't. )
                            While the pass through was ok(all I need) I did notice that some of the extras didn't work, in fact most. Says I have 24 sats! and most of the others stay at 0.0 or whatever. I think altitude was the only one that seemed to work.
                            Laidback

Comment

Oh that's not good. Can you turn on the log for a minute and send me the output?

Comment

Working...
                              X