X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates unveils Car PC program- Tbox

This article was printed today in the uk`s paper "The Sunday Times."

Bill Gates opens the car Windows

Microsoft is moving out of people’s homes and into their cars. The computer giant run by Bill Gates (below) has spent three years perfecting a system that will combine in-car entertainment, communication and satellite navigation.

The voice-activated device, known to insiders as the Tbox, will enable drivers to connect up mobile phones and personal computers so that they can make hands-free phone calls and get route guidance without the need to type in numbers or postcodes. Microsoft believes it will put navigation devices within the price range of every car buyer.

The basic Tbox system — officially called Windows Automotive — is controlled by two buttons on the instrument panel or steering wheel. It includes a global positioning system receiver and can be adapted to include built-in navigation or simply allow motorists to connect up their phone or hand-held computer to access route information via the internet, all using voice commands to a microphone on the dashboard. To make a phone call the driver simply states a name in their address book and the system will access data on the phone’s SIM card using Bluetooth wireless technology and dial it. The Tbox also allows MP3 players such as the iPod to be plugged in and played through the stereo.

The company has signed a deal with Fiat in Italy to fit Windows Automotive in all new Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia models from next year. Ford is also testing the software.

“Rather than the current situation, in which a string of competing suppliers design bespoke solutions for luxury car makers, Microsoft has created a cheaper alternative,” said Jürgen Za, a spokesman for Microsoft. “It can be upgraded just like programs on a PC.”

It would be interesting if the software could be obtained and it wasnt locked down to certain hardware. Id give it a shot; hell Im already running XP, this can only be better.....right?
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

This is interesting

This is interesting. Microsoft took a shot at the AutoPC in 1999 and failed badly.

http://news.com.com/2100-1008-511193...t=dtx&tag=ntop

This could really open some new Doors in car computing. Let's just hope they don't screw it up before it's released.
      Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
      http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

The AutoPC did tank big time. This does not sound like an OS it sounds like a product that is installed in the car.

Comment

AsI understood it the Tbox was just a connectivity module to allow a PDA to connect to the car stereo and possibly the ECU. It doesn't appear to actually play mp3's or proviced GPS nav or provide any storage but just allow your PDA or Laptop to output to the cars standard LCD & radio hardware.

I read it as a PC/PDA interface box, NOT a PC for a car! But I could be wrong...
          My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
          NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by 12Vsystems
            This is interesting. Microsoft took a shot at the AutoPC in 1999 and failed badly.

http://news.com.com/2100-1008-511193...t=dtx&tag=ntop

This could really open some new Doors in car computing. Let's just hope they don't screw it up before it's released.
            It's kinda sad if microsoft can't make it happen, yet all of us have very little trouble. Maybe total world domination is a distraction. At anyrate, as soon as microsoft figures it all out, even if the article is referring to hardware, it'll certainly mean the soon coming of an OS designed for mobile auto use. Windows AU or something. So it should be something to look forward to. Nice find on the article.

Oh, and Billy G, if you are snooping around these parts trying to correct what wrong with AutoPC, remember, the is your friend and you should hang out in the FAQ emporium before asking stupid questions.
            Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
            Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
            I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
            Please help.

Comment

Bill is too buys counting his STOLEN billions from software pirates.

more like butt pirates...
              (All done)
              iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by J187
                It's kinda sad if microsoft can't make it happen, yet all of us have very little trouble. Maybe total world domination is a distraction. At anyrate, as soon as microsoft figures it all out, even if the article is referring to hardware, it'll certainly mean the soon coming of an OS designed for mobile auto use. Windows AU or something. So it should be something to look forward to. Nice find on the article.

Oh, and Billy G, if you are snooping around these parts trying to correct what wrong with AutoPC, remember, the is your friend and you should hang out in the FAQ emporium before asking stupid questions.

LOL, i just ****ed my pants on that one.
                01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

**** you Billy.

I hate you.

Fingers in so many pies, where we gonna be in 2020? Having McGates serve us french fries, or the Microsoft Roadster.

Bill this is to you: you were a college drop out nerd, made a couple of good business deals and now live the phat life. STOP ******* WITH THE REST OF THE COMMERCIAL ELECTRONICS WORLD, YOU ARE NOT AN ENGINEER, YOU ARE NOT A PROGRAMMER, YOU ARE A CAPITAL VENTURIST NOTHING MORE.

Spread yourself so thin over tons of markets and eventually all yer **** suffers. I mean M$ ******* makes windows, has since day one, and yet it still sucks balls 20 yrs later?
                  (All done)
                  iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

eh, actually... billy boy was a programmer, and a pretty good one too as a matter of fact..

could bill gates write code?

microsofts beginning

he may be a monopolizing venture capitalist now but i reckon ya gotta give the man some credit sdashiki..

Comment

Yeah, I will give you the fact the Billy was a good programmer, but it doesn't mean all his OSes aren't based on a reversed engineered version of PCM.

Bill talked IBM into letting his provide the OS for thier computer. He then bought QDOS (quick and dirty operating system) which was a that reversed engineered software. Later Apple took Xerox's GUI OS and created thier OS, which Bill then reversed engineered to make Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was thier next step with a totally new GUI. By this time MS was big enough Billy boy didn't have to do any programming. However every version of Winblows since 3.1 has always been based on DOS. The have just try to minimize the showing of DOS to make it seem like it isn't still based on it.

The only possible exception to this is the latest OSes to come out of MS. XP64 and codename Longhorn. These are based on a new 64 bit OS, where everything else is based on the 16/32 bit OS.
                      Just because I haven't posted alot doesn't mean I haven't searched and know what I am talking about!

Progress Meter [███████████] 2%

General layout design is done in my head. Just need the money to buy the stuff and start building.

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki

**** you Billy.

I hate you.

Fingers in so many pies, where we gonna be in 2020? Having McGates serve us french fries, or the Microsoft Roadster.

Bill this is to you: you were a college drop out nerd, made a couple of good business deals and now live the phat life. STOP ******* WITH THE REST OF THE COMMERCIAL ELECTRONICS WORLD, YOU ARE NOT AN ENGINEER, YOU ARE NOT A PROGRAMMER, YOU ARE A CAPITAL VENTURIST NOTHING MORE.

Spread yourself so thin over tons of markets and eventually all yer **** suffers. I mean M$ ******* makes windows, has since day one, and yet it still sucks balls 20 yrs later?
                        Dude calm the freak down. Last I checked this wasn't a bash on Bill thread. It sounds like you are jealous.
                        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

i hate M$ too, i pretty much agree with this piece http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
                          *note this was not written by me*
                          The rant on the USA is pretty good too
                          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                            i hate M$ too, i pretty much agree with this piece http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
                            *note this was not written by me*
                            The rant on the USA is pretty good too
                            Hating Microsoft isn't new.
                            Hating the USA is old news as well. Whenever you are at the top people are always gonna take shots at ya.

Comment

Its a hardware device based on Win Ce 4.2, and the same basic deivce can be specced up from a basic device with simple buttons and no display, to a device with a touchscreen, voice control, whatever the manufacturer wants dependent on how much they want it to cost and what market vehicle is aimed at, and what they want it to do. Think of it as what a Reference board is from say Nvidia that is then given to graphics card manufactueres to alter. Its aim was to supply a product that all manufacturers can use. Microsoft is working with them to deliver what they all want.

http://www.microsoft.com/industry/au...e/default.mspx
                              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/emb...e/default.mspx

Comment

Working...
                              X