Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLOW that FSB!

HI there!

Does anyone know of any program which slow systems FSB down automatically?

We are reaching very hot temperatures here in Spain and heat is a problem for computers... so I was thinking if there is a program which slows the CPU in order to cool down itself and avoid getting the system locked up.

I hope I have made myself clear as Im not a native english speaker.

PD: I have a EPIA M1000 and all programs I have found so far are either incomptible with my chipset or have to make it manually.

Regards, eduardo

Just enter the BIOS setup, and change the FSB setting. If there is no setting in the bios then 97% of the time there is no way to change it.
    Bruno Speech Recognition - Advanced Speech Recognition designed to control any program. Extra support for FrodoPlayer and Winamp.

Comment

Underclocking your VIA will send you back to the stone age. Its already slow enough as it is!
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I know that already. I found a program which makes it, and I have underclocked the CPU to 666Mhz by changing the multiplier to 5x (stock value is 7,5x). At that speed the computer behaves pretty well and runs much cooler that clocked at 1Ghz (44 degrees celcious)... but I dont want to be running all time at 666Mhz, I only want it the first 10 minutes when I turn the car on (and its pretty hot inside). After those critical 10 minutes when the car's temperature is much lower then it could go back to stock values.

Do you guys know what I mean?

Thnx

Comment

The m1000 doesnt have cpu/clock throttling?
          Carputer status: [-*---------]
          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

there might be something related to the cpu temperature (if the vias support that)... basically you would throttle down the CPU speed if the temperature is higher...

you might have trouble booting on hot days tho... cause until your program kicks in you are at top speed, and booting takes up a lot of cpu
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
            Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I don't know if this will help you or not since I don't own a VIA, but I use RMClock on my laptop to increase battery life and it works great.
              http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

Otherwise give Speedfan a look. It's a great program too, and I remember reading it works on VIA cpu's.
              http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Comment

Hi achiever,

Thnx for your help. I have already tried RMCLOCK but it doesnt support the EPIA... very sad for me and EPIA´s owners.

As for Speedfan, it works flamently, but it only gives me the temperatures reads and the CPU speed. If I try to lower CPU speed it locks the computer up.

The only software that helps me to lower the FSB is CRYSTAL CPU ID. I can set the CPU speed to 666Mhz by adjusting the multiplier to 5x. But it works manually, and if I set the multipler to 5x and then restart, it goes back to stock values

Regards, eduardo

Comment

Put a 120mm fan on top of your board. Problem solved.
                  PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well it looks like you've tried everything I know about.
                    toxsickcity uses speed fan for his epia, both over and underclocking. Perhaps he could help you on this..........but it looks like he hasn't been around for a couple months.

Good luck

Originally posted by eduardovdr
                    Hi achiever,

Thnx for your help. I have already tried RMCLOCK but it doesnt support the EPIA... very sad for me and EPIA´s owners.

As for Speedfan, it works flamently, but it only gives me the temperatures reads and the CPU speed. If I try to lower CPU speed it locks the computer up.

The only software that helps me to lower the FSB is CRYSTAL CPU ID. I can set the CPU speed to 666Mhz by adjusting the multiplier to 5x. But it works manually, and if I set the multipler to 5x and then restart, it goes back to stock values

Regards, eduardo

Comment

Use the modded BIOS on this page and you can change your clock speed.

It's also very easy to enable these hidden features yourself using modbin6 if you want to, but I used that 1.13 BIOS and had no issues.

I think a better solution to your problem would simply be to wait a minute until your car cools down before booting. Or connect a tube from your air vent to blow on the motherboard. I have my alarm set to start the car/AC for two minutes when the inside temperature reaches 140 degrees.
                      In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

=\ 40 c is hot wow......for the ppl who over clock cpus...we go up to 50ish and we try to stay udner that...but 40c ......that i think is a decent temp for that comp....other then that why dont u just switch its heat sink...will lower temp, maybe pro long the system.....the newer heat sink should be able to handle the cpu, if the fan dies....thats if u choose the right one too...

Comment

Working...
                        X