Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kinda far-fetched idea.. image during STR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda far-fetched idea.. image during STR?

I know that this can be done for the POST image on some motherboards, but how about an image when it goes into and out of STR?

Just a thought

What is this 'STR' you speak of?
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
      What is this 'STR' you speak of?
      Suspend to RAM

Comment

suspend to ram you mean like standby? that takes like 2 seconds though...... i dont think it is possible at all
        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

You have to reshack a few files I think.
          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
            suspend to ram you mean like standby? that takes like 2 seconds though...... i dont think it is possible at all
            STR is slightly different. It literally shuts down everything. It uses the 5V line that is always running to the motherboard (even when off) and powers just the RAM. That way everything you had is still resident in memory but everything else (CPU, drivers, cards, etc) is completely off.

STR takes a few seconds, you're right. But still, it would be nice to have something on the screen instead of a blank one

Comment

And what is the difference to that and standby???

from my recall:

power off-power off
              hibernate-store ram to disk, power off
              standby, str, xmas mode, whatever you wanna call it-power off except ram

I dont think you'd be able to get an image on that....a logo or whatever... think of it, it takes 1-2 seconds for the computer to power everything back up (presumably including the video) and so wouldnt be able to show a logo or anything...
              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

And what is the difference to that and standby???

from my recall:

power off-power off
                hibernate-store ram to disk, power off
                standby, str, xmas mode, whatever you wanna call it-power off except ram

I dont think you'd be able to get an image on that....a logo or whatever... think of it, it takes 1-2 seconds for the computer to power everything back up (presumably including the video) and so wouldnt be able to show a logo or anything...
                Well, the difference is that on suspend most of the hardware is still running (including the power supply, but not the drives). With STR the power supply is off. The 5Vs comes from the power supply even when it's off (ATX PSUs).

However some motherboards do STR by default when you go to stand-by. But there is still a difference between vanilla suspend and STR.

PS: Pimp car.

Comment

hhmmm even harder then.... Caus since everything is off, it cant display... I think so at least....

Thanks about the car!
                  Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

the hibernate logo i think is in NTOSKRNL you can change it.
                    Check out my SQ Competition carputer install

Comment

Originally posted by rmjjensen
                      the hibernate logo i think is in NTOSKRNL you can change it.
                      apples and oranges.... str vs hibernate
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

hhmmm even harder then.... Caus since everything is off, it cant display... I think so at least....

Thanks about the car!
                        Yeah, it makes it more complex. I actually thought about it and realized that the BIOS can't do much for the STR/suspend process.. oh well.

Yeah, the HSE is my favorite Land Rover.

Comment

Working...
                        X