• Show
Clear All

• Best option for booting?

been looking around at the various options for booting

stripping OS back to basics

booting to front end

hibernating

EWF and minlogon? not grasped this yet need more research

but what do people generally regard as quickest and most efficient.
    especially for resuming music play. obviously coming from a CD/MP3 setup i'm used to it resuming where it left off.

is that possible?
    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Boot options

You have obviously done some research into this. Here is what I've found works best for our setup.

Go through your bios and test different configurations to see which will allow the fastest boot.

Use NLite to create a Windows XP install, remove a lot of unused junk and tweak the boot settings in the wizard. Don't expect it to work the first time. I've created over 20 images and only 2 work how I wanted.

Run Bootvis, it's a microsoft component that gives you a lot of useful info about what's component is taking the most time to load and will tweak it.

Use Minilogon to replace Winlogon (Do this after running bootvis) This saved me about 7 seconds.

Do all this and your system should boot in under 30 seconds.

I have also been playing with EWF and am still a little confused. I have it enabled, if I try and copy a movie to the hard drive as soon as the ram is full (512mb) the system gives me a ton of errors (Which is what I would expect because nothing can be written to the drive) but when I run my Front End ESXManager and use hibernation with EWF the front end remembers the song it was last playing. How is this possible if nothing is being written to this disk?
    Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
    http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

10% success rate for nlite doesn't sound very appealing. but i guess i gotta go through it

so if i just cut back windows and used hibernate would it bring back media player on the correct song in a reasonable time?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeast
        10% success rate for nlite doesn't sound very appealing. but i guess i gotta go through it

so if i just cut back windows and used hibernate would it bring back media player on the correct song in a reasonable time?
        Define "reasonable"

With minimum effort, and HORM, you should be good to go in under 30 seconds. That can be faster if you strip somethings, and fail to load a whole bunch of CPU processes.

To me, 30 seconds is reasonable, since originally when I started with this stuff, it took at least a minute to load the OS, and often times more. And, I had to wait for shutdown or else it would corrupt the HD after a short period of time.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Resonable boot times

You have to keep in mind that you are using Windows XP it was never designed to be used in a car and a lot of us are running hardware that is much slower then todays desktops.

These forums are gold the fact that people here worked out a way to get almost any XP system in under 30 seconds is really impressive. My last job was working for a big company as an applications engineer I had access to a lot of the developer networks but 90% of the time I would find the most useful info right here.

Comment

yes this place is an excellent knowledge base.

i can't get to grips with a 30 sec boot in terms of getting my car and starting up untill i actually have to do it. but i guess you lot find it good so thats a good measure

doesn't HORM return you to the same state all the time? what about song resume?
            i still have limited knowledge so please correct me,
            however i've discovered that roadrunner is apprently a good frontend and resumes music play so that sounds cool

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeast
              yes this place is an excellent knowledge base.

i can't get to grips with a 30 sec boot in terms of getting my car and starting up untill i actually have to do it. but i guess you lot find it good so thats a good measure

doesn't HORM return you to the same state all the time? what about song resume?
              i still have limited knowledge so please correct me,
              however i've discovered that roadrunner is apprently a good frontend and resumes music play so that sounds cool
              There might be a fix for that. I believe you can HORM with out EWF. EWF restricts the writes to your disk. EWF is needed for those guys who are using CF cards to boot, because of the "limited" read/write ability of CF cards. If you are using a Hardrive, that should bot be an issue (This is my understandig of using EWF, I may be incorrect, I am no expert on it) Also, you can install your media player/winamp on a non EWF protected hardrive, and I believe it will write the information there, so that when the computer restarts, it will resume from that location. This requires either a second hardrive, or perhaps just a second HD partition.

If that doesn't work for me, I plan on just setting the HORM point at the end of a song. That way, when the computer starts, it will just shuffle to the next song. Or perhaps, create a silent mp3 of a couple of seconds, and set the HORM point on that song.

You can also activate your computer with your alarm remote. In that way, the computer starts to boot when you unlock the car. It takes I would say 5 to 10 seconds to get in the car, and start it, so then boot times will be like 20 seconds.

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

EWF needs to be installed and running for HORM. The problem with HORM as you guys have already stated is that since the PC resumes from that same state you can't resume your last song. What you can do is use the method I wrote about in this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50496 If your frontend supports saving config files on another drive then you can just point it to the SDI disk. Set a task to run when the system shuts down to unmount the SDI disk and then commit the SDI file to the EWF volume.
                EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                VoomPC 2

Comment

There is a writeup that has safe nLite settings so you dont have to make 20 images, search "Safe Settings.ini"
                  Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card
                  Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                  Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

thanks guys. yeah i was gonna look at that boot-up on alarm thingy already

setting the HORM point at the end of a song is alright if you always shuffle but i also like to listen to an album all the way through

i'll read about this 'fix'

Comment

You can also activate your computer with your alarm remote. In that way, the computer starts to boot when you unlock the car. It takes I would say 5 to 10 seconds to get in the car, and start it, so then boot times will be like 20 seconds.
                      This is a killer idea, instead of pulling your hair out trying to tweak every little setting just give the computer a 10-20 second head start.

Now to review my alarm schematic to work out where to add my ACC line from the comptuer.

Comment

Normal hibernation has always worked well for me
                        Only a 10-15 second resume

Remember when doing hibernate, your amount of memory and its speed (as well as hard drive speed) will determine how fast you can resume. Less memory the better
                        I have 256
                        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

thats good. the pc i'm ripping apart for this only has 128

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
                            Normal hibernation has always worked well for me
                            Only a 10-15 second resume

Remember when doing hibernate, your amount of memory and its speed (as well as hard drive speed) will determine how fast you can resume. Less memory the better
                            I have 256
                            Is that true. The less memory, the quicker the resume. I understand that it is reading the "system" from the memory, but does the size really matter(I know it DOES matter, but I am talking about the memoru size, and nothing more). I think the speed might matter, but not the size, although, I could be totally wrong.

Do you HORM, or hibernate/resume each time?

Michael

Comment

well, think about how hibernation works: the system writes the contents of your RAM onto the disk (more RAM the more it needs to write). when you resume, XP reads the contents from the disk back into RAM. so if you've got 1GB of RAM it needs to read/write roughly that much. it would only matter if you've got a slow hard drive. besides, a CarPC probably won't need more than 256MB of RAM, right (512MB max)? especially if you use something like nLite (my system usually hovers around 25MB memory usage).
                              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X